1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

O/T Margaret Thatcher Has Died

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by johnnywarksmoustache, Apr 8, 2013.

1. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Seems like the type who can do The Times crossword in less than half an hour <laugh>

2. Cruyff's Turn

Cruyff's Turn Well-Known Member

I might be able to find some degree of consensus here.Having just read all the threads can we agree that for possibly the first time in living memory none of the three major parties is lead by anyone with a degree of gravitas who appears to know what they are doing? They look like lightweights compared to MacMillan,Wilson,Heath,Callaghan, Thatcher,Major,Blair.

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Cruyff's Turn you have hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned, although I know that Warky admires Cameron, Osborne and Gove. I wonder whether others agree.

4. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

I certainly do not admire any of this current lot Yorkie! I'm voting UKIP for the council elections as they are the party that talks the language of core Tory voters like me! <ok>

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I'm sure we've had discussions about Gove and Cameron before or perhaps you were just on the wind up?

I really don't know who to vote for to be honest. I would usually vote Labour by default but this time I don't think I can.

6. johnnywarksmoustache

Vote for the abstain party Yorkie <ok> To be honest I am totally switched off politics at the moment cos none of this lot are worth a shower of ****e! Hence why I was sad to see the demise of Maggie. I don't want to run through all the points again but at least she knew the direction that she wanted to take the country in unlike this bunch of spineless ****s!

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Have you seen the Milliband robot vid? If not, check it out. Shocking.

8. stephenhawkingsfootballboots

We currently have a coalition government with a Tory leader and Tory sensibilities (which I hate to say we probably need at the moment) but with a smattering of Lib Dem to stop them doing anything truly stupid.

The danger is that, come the election, the electorate are in a dire quandry.

Vote Tory and let the Tories win, removing the Lib Dem safety net.

Vote Lib Dem and let the Tories win, removing the Lib Dem safety net.

Vote Labour and remove the Lib Dem safety net AND prevent the Coalition government from continuing economic recovery.

I want to vote for the coalition! How can I vote for a coalition?!

Where's Richard Prior when you need him?! NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Coalition economic recovery?? Lib Dem safety net? The economy is not recovering my dear boy, that option was lost when people didn't want to vote for Gordon Brown on the basis of his persona. As for a Lib Dem safety net, the Lib Dems well and truly stitched up their voters and broke promises for a sniff of power. Far from preventing the Tories from doing anything stupid, without the Lib Dems support the Four Stooges - Cameron, Osborne, Gove and IDS would not be able to wreak their havoc. Hague is not a bad Foreign Secretary but apart from that this government is as bad as it gets, or at least until you look across and realise Milliband, Balls and Harman is the alternative. <doh>

10. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

11. JonahJameson

JonahJameson Active Member

http://www.businessinsider.com/ed-miliband-robot-2011-7

Fantastic stuff! You have to work pretty hard to give an interview like this!

Peter Oborne describes &#8216;em as &#8220;the rise of political class&#8221; &#8211; career politicians who&#8217;ve barely done a days work in a job outside of party politics.

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Big al.

It was a global financial crisis that kicked off in America in case you didn't notice <doh>

Brown steered us away from the type of catastrophe we have seen in other countries and the question was whether you cut spending to cut back on services, put people out of work, stunt growth and cut the deficit or reinstate confidence by continuing to invest and build and pay off the deficit when the country has recovered. Mr Brown was adamant that taking the Tories' approach would be damaging.

The public chose not to elect Brown (and actually not to elect Cameron either) largely based on his image (you can't tell me that a decent enough proportion of the UK population understand fiscal policy enough to vote based on those arguments) and what we have now is a country with stunted growth, falling standards of services, a deepening housing crisis, rising unemployment, a new phenomenon of underemployment and a huge chunk of extra deficit.

13. stephenhawkingsfootballboots

HMV is out of administration. I call that an economic recovery.

Although that may have been buoyed by sales of The Wizard of Oz soundtrack CDs...

14. Bigalreigned

HYL So the Labour Party suffered from a global phenomenon,but the Coalition's inability to resolve it is their own fault- you can't have it both ways.

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Britain suffered from a global phenomenon, not the Labour Party. Hawkings' assertion was that the coalition is guiding an economic recovery, any economist will tell you the reverse is true.

There is an awful lot wrong with the way we administrate public services but no-one in Westminster is likely to grab that by the scruff of the neck any time soon, it's a big chaotic system that they are all happy to sign a cheque for, however big or small, and let fend for itself. Nothing you mention in your list of mistakes are things that the Tories would have done any differently and most of those things were built on Thatcherism.

16. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Want to decrease unemployment.......curb immigration.

17. stephenhawkingsfootballboots

Oh Lordy! Immigration!

My family came here in the 19th century. I'll pack my bags.

18. Bigalreigned

HAD the Tories done them I don't think they would have blamed their failure to get reelected on a past leader's personality defect- but that's pure speculation on your part.

19. stephenhawkingsfootballboots

The country wasn't built by Thatcher, but she did put a nice straw roof on it.

20. johnnywarksmoustache

Yorkie, Brown created an artificial boom based on cheap money and debt! He let public spending rip out of control and created a vast client state by increasing welfare. He boasted that he had abolished Boom & Bust and Stop Go econmics when in reality he fuelled the huge credit boom which went tits up in 2008. To this day Labour has no credible economic policy other than to borrow even more money if they get back into power. In the history of UK governments it has always been the case that every Labour government leaves a bloody great mess for the next Tory government to clear up. <ok>