1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Wigan Athletic

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Mar 3, 2015.

1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 35

Norwich City 0 - 1 Wigan Athletic

FT90'+6'
    HT 0 - 1​
    Attendance:26,208

Date: Wednesday 4th March 2015
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 07:45PM

KIO's not606 Match Preview

The games are now coming thick and fast in the Sky Bet Championship with only two months of the current campaign remaining. It promises to be the closest and most exciting finish to the season at the top end of the table for many a year with just 5 points separating the top six clubs.
    The Canaries welcome lowly Wigan Athletic to Carrow Road on Wednesday and will be looking to extend their winning run to a remarkable seven games. City boss Alex Neil has breathed fresh air into an extremely talented squad who had been under-performing prior to his arrival. His record to date of 8 wins in 10 games with only one defeat speaks volumes for his man-management skills and tactical nous.
    Last time out the Canaries put in a thoroughly professional performance against local rivals Ipswich Town, nullifying their direct physical approach to win the match by 2 goals to nil. In truth it was a scrappy game but despite a couple of goalmouth scares, City appeared to always be in control of proceedings looking as if they could up a gear if necessary. Bradley Johnson once again came up trumps with yet another howitzer of a strike in the 24th minute with Lewis Grabban scrambling the ball over the line midway through the second half to secure the spoils. The result means that Alex Neil's side now have their fate in their own hands as they now sit third in the table just one point behind second placed Middlesbrough who, along with leaders Derby County, still have to come to Carrow Road. For the first time ever City have now won four successive East Anglian derbies.

No better feeling City see off their East Anglian rivals

Wigan are having a poor season and with only Blackpool below them in the table look to be one of the favourites to drop into the third tier. They are now managed by ex Canaries legend Malky Mackay who has struggled to turn things around for the Latics since taking over from sacked Uwe Rosler in November of last year. However Wigan do go into Wednesday's game on the back of an away victory having beaten bottom club Blackpool 3-1 at Bloomfield Road in their last match.

Wigan bag all three points against the Tangerines

Wigan have won just twice in eleven games and even after the win against the Tangerines are still 10 points away from safety. Latics boss Mackay has stated that their points total over the last six to eight weeks has not echoed their performances on the pitch and that his side will fight for survival to the bitter end.

Alex Neil's Match Preview

“We’re in a good place at the moment, but certainly come tomorrow night it’s going to be another difficult test and they’re going to have to make sure they’re up for the task.”
    “We’ve got to be on the top of our game, on top of our form, and to work extremely hard. If we do that, we’ve got enough about the squad to make sure that we’re successful between now and the end of the season.

Alex Neil previews tomorrow night's clash with the Latics

“I think once you get to this stage of the season, there are a lot of freak results that happen. There are teams are the bottom end who are struggling to get wins who seem to put a run together because they’re fighting for their lives.
    “I’m well aware of that, the squad will be well aware of that, and we need to make sure that we do a professional job and put as much effort into this game as have been doing in recent matches.”

Malky Mackay's Match Preview

“You’ve got to play everybody and there’s always a time for a team to stop winning games,” said Mackay on Norwich's recent run of victories.
    “Norwich are very strong, they’ve got a very experienced squad which is full of quality and the club as a whole is doing well at the moment, but we’re going there in a bullish mood after our win against Blackpool.

Malky Mackay gives his thoughts

“It’s another tough one and they’re on a very good run. I watched their local derby against Ipswich Town at the weekend and they won convincingly, so we know what we’re up against.”

Current Form

Norwich City: WWWWWW

In their last 20 home games, 25 of the 42 goals scored by Norwich have come from forwards, 14 from midfielders and 3 from defenders.

In their last 20 home games, 7 of the 24 goals conceded by Norwich have come from forwards, 13 from midfielders and 4 from defenders.

In their last 20 home games, 81% of the 42 goals scored by Norwich have come in open play, whilst 19% have come from set-pieces.

Wigan Athletic: WLLWLL

In their last 20 away games, 2 of the 20 goals scored by Wigan have come from forwards, 12 from midfielders and 5 from defenders.

In their last 20 away games, 18 of the 32 goals conceded by Wigan have come from forwards, 13 from midfielders and 1 from defenders.

In their last 20 away games, 60% of the 20 goals scored by Wigan have come in open play, whilst 35% have come from set-pieces

Match History

The Canaries and Latics have met just 10 times in competitive fixtures, 4 times at Carrow Road and 6 times at Wigan. The Latics have never won at Carrow Road managing only a solitary draw and losing on 3 occasions. City have 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats in the 'away' fixture. Wigan's two victories over City have both been 1-0 wins, the first was a fourth round FA Cup tie on 31st January 1987 at Springfield Park which saw Ex Ipswich Manager Paul Jewell score the only goal against Ken Brown's top flight side, the second was a Premier League fixture on 30th March 2013. City's best win was at Wigan in a League Cup 2nd round 1st leg tie on 22nd September 1998 which finished 3-2 to the Canaries, they went on to win the second leg 1-0 giving them a 4-2 aggregate victory.

Highest Norwich City Score

Wigan Athletic 2 Norwich City 3

Highest Wigan Athletic Score

Wigan Athletic 1 Norwich City 0

Highest Aggregate

Wigan Athletic 2 Norwich City 3

Club Connections

Some of the most notable are:

GRANT HOLT Legendary Norwich striker signed from Norwich by Wigan in July 2013

Current Wigan striker and former Norwich City legend Grant Holt
    LEON BARNETT Signed by Wigan from Norwich in July 2013
    MATT JACKSON Former Norwich captain Jackson joined Wigan in November 2001 after a loan spell
    WAYNE BIGGINS Biggins' goals helped Norwich and Wigan win promotion in 1985/86 and 1996/97 respectively
    JOHN BOND Former Norwich manager John Bond scouted for the Latics
    MARK BOWEN Former Welsh international defender Bowen was with Wigan from August to December 1999
    CARL BRADSHAW When Bradshaw's contract was terminated by City in 1997, he joined the Latics
    STEVE BRUCE Former Norwich captain who has two spells managing Wigan

John Deehan and Steve Bruce celebrate City's Milk Cup victory at Wembley in 1985
    JOHN DEEHAN Deehan quit as Norwich manager in April 1995 and took over at Wigan the following November
    PAUL DALGLISH Paul joined the Latics on a free transfer after falling out of favour at Carrow Road during 2001
    DAVID FAIRCLOUGH Former Liverpool "supersub" who played for both Norwich and Wigan at the end of his career
    BRYAN HAMILTON Managed both the Latics and the Canaries
    CARLO NASH Norwich's July 2013 signing played for Wigan earlier in his career
    BRUCE RIOCH After parting from the Canaries in March 2000, Bruce became Wigan's manager the next June

Listen to full match commentary on
    BBC Radio Norfolk 95.1 & 104.4FM, 855Mhz and DAB Digital Radio with Chris Goreham

and guest match summariser Craig Fleming

.............. and don't forget to tune into 'Canary Call' post match !

OTBC

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

Great thread KIO, just watched the highlights from wigans game against Blackpool, I would be horrified if we conceeded even one of those goals. Amazing how far Wigan have fallen.

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Great work as usual KIO. Let's hope we do make up the ground we're losing to some of the other teams this evening. We can't afford any slip ups now!!!!

4. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Hootun's Brighton leading Derby 2-0 ! If that stays the same we go 2nd if we beat Wigan

popeye2807 likes this.
  5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Should be a cracking game tomorrow night. Will have my chicken and chips in Queen of Iceni washed down with a couple of pints before kick off!!!

6. SUPERNORWICH 23

SUPERNORWICH 23 SUPERNORWICH

This :emoticon-0105-wink:^^^^^^^^^

:emoticon-0171-star::emoticon-0171-star::emoticon-0171-star::emoticon-0171-star::emoticon-0171-star:

7. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Massive motivation for the team to slot into an auto spot if we beat Wigan <ok>

8. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

Superb KIO. Hughton doing us a favour (finally!)

9. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

Another ridiculously late night - but who givesafuck <cheers>

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

And what about tonight as well??????

11. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

It will be for every midweek game now, not just Weekends.

Earlier in the season I could not be bothered with 2.45am kick-offs but it is far more exciting now and well worth the while since KIO gave me a radio link for commentaries.

Top bloke that KIO :emoticon-0148-yes:

and on that note.....

ustream.tv/channel/norwichfirst

12. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

KIO, I've sent a letter nominating you for a knighthood in the Birthday Honours' List! <ok>

SUPERNORWICH 23 and KIO like this.
  13. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, it must be great to be able to listen and I must admit that I'm tuning in to away games now as well, whereas at the end of last year, I couldn't be ar53d!!!! <ok>

14. canary737

canary737 Active Member

Another excellent effort, KIO. Bring on the 3 points!
    COYY

15. Carbrooke Canary

Carbrooke Canary Active Member

Becoming required reading now, don't know how them binners (or as my spell checker keeps insisting "banners") could suggest otherwise, best match day threads by a country mile!

SUPERNORWICH 23 likes this.
  16. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Thank you kind Sir, I do my best :emoticon-0100-smile

I'm going for City 4 Wigan 0 <ok>

17. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Yes another great job KIO! You deserve that knighthood! <applause> Wigan and Millwall will be a key test of our ability to maintain a high level of performance against lower half teams. It's one which I think AN will insure we pass with flying colours. Tucking in behind Boro and above Derby has to be a great incentive. <cheers>

18. ColkOfTheBarclay

ColkOfTheBarclay Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to tonight. Can't see anything other than a win but we know football isn't that simple!

19. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Few more form stats added to my OP, blas me bor on paper we should win easily tonight, shouldn't we? :emoticon-0176-smoke

20. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Well done again, KIO. Those stats give an interesting angle on tonight's match. Looks like the main threat might be from long shots or set-pieces.