1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Reading

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Apr 7, 2017.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Apr 8, 2017.
  1. Canaries Win

35.7%
  2. Royals Win

57.1%
  3. Stalemate

7.1%
  1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 41
    Norwich City 7 - 1 Reading

FT
    HT 6 - 1
    Kermorgant (39' minutes)
    Oliveira (3' minutes pen),
    Hoolahan (15' minutes, 41' minutes),
    Pritchard (26' minutes, 35' minutes),
    Martin (31' minutes),
    Jerome (89' minutes)

Attendance: 26,163
    Referee: James Linington
    Assistant Referees: Neil Davies & Steven Meredith
    Fourth Official: John Brooks

Date: 8th April 2017
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 03:00PM

• Norwich have lost their past three games against the Royals, conceding seven and scoring just three in the process.
    • Norwich are unbeaten in 2017 in the Championship at Carrow Road (W5 D3).
    • Reading have lost three of their past four league games on the road but did beat Sheffield Wednesday last time out - 2-0.
    • Cameron Jerome has scored four goals in his past five league games at home in the Championship.
    • Yann Kermorgant is looking to score in three successive Football League games for the first time.

Alan Irvine’s Match Preview

City Caretaker Boss Alan Irvine Previews tomorrow's game

"It's always important. So many people turn up at Carrow Road week-in, week-out and they give us great support."

"In return, we hope to give them a good performance and a good result."

"I said a few weeks ago that every player should go out to give the best they possibly can on the day. We have to do that in every game, no matter what the situation in the league."

"We've done well at Carrow Road this season. Hopefully we continue that through to the end of the season."

"They've [Reading] done extremely well this season and they're in a very strong position at the moment."

"They play a very controlled possession game; they generally have more possession than the opposition."

"I expect them to do the same. They've played like that everywhere they've gone and they've got good results in the main off the back of that.

"That will give us problems that we need to deal with, but we can also give them problems."

Jaap Stam’s Match Preview

Jaap Stam gives his thoughts

“There is a chance they [Norwich] can still make to the play-offs if they win every game.”

“They’ll obviously need teams in the top six to lose, there might be a chance that they can make it."

“The players that are there will want to fight for their position in the table and maybe for their place in the team next season. They are a big team in the Championship and they’ve played a lot in the Premier League as well."

“Everybody knows they are going to give it a big go again to try and win promotion and get back to the Premier League next season if they can’t this year.”

“Every player over there who is under contract at Norwich will want to prove themselves to the board, that they are good players and they belong in the first 11 and that they can beat everybody in the championship,” said Stam.

“It is going to be a hard game. A side like Norwich up against a team in the top six will want to prove themselves. It will be a hard game again but we will give our best and hopefully we can get the win.”

Match highlights from City's 3-1 defeat at the Madejski in December last year

Current Form (Last 6 Competitive Fixtures – Most Recent First)

Norwich City

LLWDDL

NORWICH HOME

Norwich have won 65%, drawn 20% and lost 15% of their last 20 home games.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Norwich have won 4, drawn 6 and lost 10 of these matches.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned above them in the table, Norwich have won 4, drawn 6 and lost 10 of these matches.

Reading

WWLLDW

READING AWAY

Reading have won 40%, drawn 10% and lost 50% of their last 20 away games.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Reading have won 4, drawn 1 and lost 15 of these matches.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned below them in the table, Reading have won 9, drawn 2 and lost 9 of these matches.

MATCH STATS: www.kickoff.co.uk

Match History

Norwich City Wins: 25

Reading Wins: 29

Games Drawn: 18

Norwich and Reading have met 72 times in competitive fixtures with the Royals having the upper hand with 29 wins to City’s 25.

08/04/2017 Edit:- 73 Games, Norwich wins: 26, Reading Wins 29, Games Drawn 18

The two sides first met way back on 16th January 1909 in Round One of the FA Cup at the Nest. The match finished 0-0 with the replay at Elm Park on 20th January ending in a 1-1 stalemate. City eventually made in through to Round Two with a 3-2 win back at the Nest five days later.

Norwich City FC circa 1909

......... and their opponents

On 29th October 1921 in League Division Three (South) at the Nest, City secured their best ever victory over Reading winning by 4 goals to 1.

Edit:- Norwich City 7 Reading 1 - Carrow Road League Championship 8th April 2017

Fast forward to 27th March 1954 and in the same competition at Elm Park the match finished 4-4, this is the highest aggregate score to date between the two sides.

Once again in League Division Three (South) on 2nd February 1957 this time at Carrow Road, the Royals beat City 5-2 to record their best ever victory over the Canaries. However this is not Reading’s highest winning margin over City, that was on 31st January 2006 in the League Championship at the Madejski Stadium the game finishing 4-0 in Reading’s favour.

Highest Norwich City Score

Norwich City 7 Reading 1

Highest Reading Score

Norwich City 2 Reading 5

Highest Aggregate (8)

Reading 4 Norwich City 4
    Norwich City 7 Reading 1

Club Connections

Those to have turned out for both the Canaries and the Royals include:

Jamie Ashdown (Norwich loan), Ryan Bertrand (Norwich & Reading loan), Garry Brooke, Kenny Brown (Reading loan), Luke Chadwick (Reading loan), Jamie Cureton, Robert Fleck, Lewis Grabban (Reading loan), Peter Grant, James Henry (Norwich loan), Scott Howie, Andy Hughes, Leroy Lita (Norwich loan), David Mooney (Norwich loan), Alex Pearce (Norwich loan), John Polston, Mark Robins (Reading loan), Keith Scott and Chris Woods (Reading loan)

Robert Fleck celebrates scoring for Norwich against Manchester United in March 1988.
    Fleck finished his professional playing career with the Royals

Mark Bowen who played 399 times for City finished his career at Reading but never made a single league appearance for the Royals

Former Canaries Assistant Boss Paul Franklin finished his professional playing career at Reading

Former Reading defender Graeme Murty joined the Canaries as an academy coach in July 2014

Graeme Murty in his Reading playing days
    John Sainty who was a coach for City in the John Bond era played 71 times for Reading between 1967-70 scoring 19 goals

Did You Know?

Reading who are nicknamed ‘The Royals’ due to their location in the Royal County of Berkshire, were previously known as ‘The Biscuitmen’ due to the town's association with Huntley & Palmers.

Formed in 1871, Reading are one of the oldest Football Clubs in England but didn’t join the Football League until 1920 and never played in the top flight until season 2006-07

Reading played at their former home Elm Park for 102 years between 1896 and 1998 before moving to the Madejski Stadium.

The Royals hold the record for the most consecutive wins at the start of a season, winning their first 13 games in 1985-86 in League Division Three.

Reading also hold the record for most points gained in a professional league season when they finished the 2005-06 Championship campaign with 106 points.

TEAM LINE UPS
    squad (1).jpg

Listen To Full Match Commentary
    On BBC Radio Norfolk
    95.1/104.4FM, 855kHz & DAB Digital Radio

With Chris Goreham

And Guest Match Summariser Paul McVeigh

....... And Don't Forget To Tune In To #canarycall
    Post Match With ‘Macca’ & Rob Butler

OT
    C

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Hera, canary-dave, daib0 and 5 others like this.
  2. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Stunning again KIO.

I'm not watching, listening to or keeping an eye on the score.

I might look in the evening to see how many we lost by, and how many of the same sh*te players we started. Hopefully I will forget.

3. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Coward <laugh>

I've actually got a feeling that we're going to win this one ! <yikes>

4. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Works so busy, I have so much I want to do at home. I have p*ssed away so many hours on this pile of sh*te. They don't deserve my time. I'm sick to death of being let down and upset every weekend. So if I don't invest in it, the result will just be 1 quick stab, not hours of it.

JM Fan likes this.
  5. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

I now play chess online as my win ratio is quite good away from home.

6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Cracking thread as usual KIO and I'm with you on the win - so much so, that I'm even going to 'put my money where my mouth is' and call in at the bookies on the way to the Glasshouse for a pre-match beer etc!!! <ok>
    Or should it be <doh> for betting on a home win.
    Probably in the last minute like 6 years ago!!! <yikes>

7. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Brilliant thread Rich, you really are a master at producing these matchday threads!

I've voted for a win, we'll play properly now there is nothing left to play for! <cheers>

8. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

9. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Same old, same old <doh>
    So no JM or Godfrey on the bench.
    Ah well, I guess we're not going to see either in the first team until next season,!!?

11. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

After being continually snubbed, as they have been, you wouldn't blame either if they decided to look for new clubs over the summer. I bet JM is kicking himself for showing loyalty to NCFC rather than return to Aberdeen where he was so impressive :(

12. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Wes walks straight back into the team. Sorry, so wrong in so many ways.

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  13. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Maddison is the future (if he stays), Wes the past. Bless him.
    So why not start the 'future' in these remaining 5 or 6 meaningless games?
    I was going to listen to R Norfolk but I'm fecked off and <grr> now, so a walk and a beverage sounds far more worthwhile. <cheers>

14. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Afternoon guys, team graphic added to the OP

Here we go again <wah>

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  15. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Pointless game and the kids still not given a chance.
    Martin undroppable <doh>

16. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Same old sh1t different day (again) :biggrin:

17. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Early penalty!

18. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Goaaaaaaaaaaaaalllll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oliveira !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    <party>

DHCanary likes this.
  19. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

feck me a golo

KIO likes this.
  20. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

: canarycall