1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Northampton Town v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In fairness to him, the statement read more along the lines of Utd being managed in a **** way which wasn't good enough for the club or a player of his quality at the time. Which was, as Chief pointed out, something of a fair comment given how SAF and the Glazers were happy to replace Tevez and Ronaldo with Bebe and Owen, at a time when Ribery and Robben were available and interested.

And it wasn't as much a transfer attempt as refusing to sign a new contract, which featured heavy performance related clauses at a time when the club was failing to sign any players who looked likely to help us meet any of those clauses.

I agree it was stupid of him to release the statement he did, but then SAF was the one who spoke to the media about it first and revealed Rooney had been transfer listed and wanted to leave.

I can't say I particularly like the guy either, he looks, sounds and acts like a bit of a ****. But I can't say I have any particular excess hatred for him after that incident, particularly as it actually woke up the Glazers and SAF to the need to spend some cash and get some decent players into the club.