1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Northampton Town v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Ibrah and Rashford come on.

But Rooney doesn't get subbed? **** off!

2. pieguts

pieguts Mentor

Didn't see much of that from you, last year Treb's <whistle>
    You're not going to turn into UIR, and blindly continue to praise the current manager, whilst blaming the last manager.

3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I've never cared about the results.... only ever about our performances, and after a year of watching the thick pea soup we were served up under Van Gaal, I think it was perfectly ok to say so last season. I wouldn't give a **** if we lost tonight playing good football. I'm not bothered about immediate success as long as we can see progress in the performances.

I backed Moyes btw. At least I could watch our games under him.

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Rooney is shocking. He has to come off.

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Herrera 2-1

6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Now with all the attacking players we have, we should absolutely be smashing the **** out of Northampton. Overunning the spaces they leave behind and with the confidence of a 2-1 lead. Lets see...

7. pieguts

pieguts Mentor

Just pulling your chain Treb's.....It was funny reading UIR and your exchanges!!

Treble likes this.
  8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

The funny thing is UIR claimed the crappy endless passing football would be the legacy he would leave for United's football for the next decade. And after watching the last 40 mins I think he was finally right about something... sadly!! <laugh>

pieguts likes this.
  9. Stan

Stan Stalker

Carrick and Herrera very good. Back to the bench to make way for Donkey Fellaini.

Treble likes this.
  10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Was just thinking the same. 90 mins played, no chance they'll start on the weekend.

On the plus side... Rooney makes his one and only contribution to the game in the 93rd minute with that pass to Ibrah. As a result he will play on the weekend.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

1-3 FT

Well that was ****.

12. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Rooney surely has to be rested with Mata Pogba and Herrera behind Rashford and Ibra at the front. Carrick the holding midfielder. Smalling and Bailly in CD with Shaw and Valencia at FB.

Rooney and Fellaini are Mourinho 's favourites.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

So, to sum up.

We won but if Rooney hadn't been playing we'd have won ten nil. Obvs.

14. Stan

Stan Stalker

Don't think anyone's saying that.

The fact is though he was ineffective again, regardless of which position he was playing in. In contrast, Carrick, Herrera and Rashford all played well and contributed. So whether Rooney is a CM, a CF, a 10 or a RW, there are better options who are being benched to keep him (and Fellaini) in the team.

15. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

No, sorry of course not. We would just have been four nil up at half time if he wasn't playing. Definitely.

Anyway, him playing a whole game and Zlat and Rahsford not is a promising indicator that he won't play on Saturday, surely?

16. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Strip away all the hype and strong feelings either way that inevitably surrounds any conversation about Rooney, forget about him passing this or that record last season and look at his performances this season objectively and ask yourself just two simple questions - as a fan, is he justifying his £300k per week deal and - wherever he has played, from our present squad is he the very best option for that position.

Now for me, and a great many others on here, and a growing number of informed thinkers in the sports media, the answer is no to both questions. This isn't a general 'downer' on Rooney, it is a fair body of opinion based on what he has produced so far this season. If someone isn't doing their best - there is always an alternative and it is that point that many take issue with. It could just as well be De Gea or Rashford, but it isn't, the focus is on Rooney because of his form. If our squad was threadbare and we had no option but to play him, then so be it. What I and many can't fathom is why JM continues to play him when there are better options.

If he was dropped and returned to form and stormed it for the rest of the season, brilliant, but at the moment, and based solely on form and what he ought to be doing for the money - and isn't - we are completely justified in having a go at him.

17. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

So a win but not the best performance?

Did Mata get on? I noticed him on the bench, he'll be sold in January can't see him sitting there all season.

18. Matth_2014

Matth_2014 Well-Known Member

We played well.

19. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Oh, I though it wasn't a great performance considering the opposition. The thread seems to suggest that?

20. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I agree he's not playing well and agree he's not worth his salary, he never was.

If he was putting in zero effort I could understand the hatred. That is not the case though. That is what disgusts me really, how he's the focus of so much bile from so many different directions. He's off form, probably forever, but it's not like he doesn't put the effort in and doesn't give a ****.

That's why I also don't 'hate' Fellaini. He works hard, he just isn't good enough. I'm not going to turn on him though, I just sigh and cry a little every time he's picked.