1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

newbie here!

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Ha5_'orn, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

i have lived in 6 addresses, beginning in Wembley :)

2. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

I feel positively stable compared to all you travellers - I have only lived in 3 different houses!

Norway - Whereabouts were you in Oman? Years ago, I spent a month or so down in real bandit country in Dhofar - Salalah is a beautiful place with just the best beaches you would ever want. Was still being supported by the SAS and the British Army in the early 80's. Country around there is beautiful as well, driving up into the Jebel's is a great experience. I had a great conversation with an old Palestinian near Thumrait who had learnt English from listening to the BBC World Service - it's amazing the number of people who I have spoken with over the years that have relied on the World Service to hear the news from their own country.

3. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

W-y yep I was based at thumrait air force base! Had several jaunts down to Salalah! great place and a really nice people,unusually honest for ragheads too!
    When an apprentice said he was going for a long weekend ,he meant it, didnt see him for 3 months!!!

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Ah - my six were only since I met Lennietta - if I include childhood addresses and Uni it goes up to 14 - I was born at No 6 The Gunsite - a Nissen hut in Hayes - pretty well dates me :)

5. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

Born In Hannover (Dad in army). Moved to Abbots Langley when 1. Moved to Oxhey when 7, and stayed there until I went to Uni at 19. In Southampton, then had 8 houses in 6 years, before moving back to Oxhey for a couple of years. moved back to Southampton and had 2 houses in 2 years before moving to Salisbury and been in the same place for nearly 4 years!

I wonder where next.....

6. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Small world eh Norway - I was in Salalah for a month repairing a well logger that the winch had busted on and 1Km of steel cable had dropped down the water well! I stayed in a big house with a load of jock electricians who just got pissed every night, so was in good company! Only way to communicate i9n those days with the company in the US that made the logger was by Telex in the Holiday Inn on the beach - very nice cold beer there as well.
    I would love to go back and stay a few days on that beach and drive out to Thumrait again...

7. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Used to use the swimming pool and the bar at that Holiday Inn during down time , we got to chat to some of the SAS guys that did refresher courses in desert warfare at thumrait! they had some interesting stories to tell!