1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New free championship streaming - ESPN3

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by LeedsLover, Aug 3, 2017.

1. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

ellandback likes this.
  2. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info LL

Initially sounded interesting, but on further investigation, the actual service is not free

As part of your club's new website iFollow will provide overseas fans with the opportunity to live stream up to 46 live league games featuring their club within the regular EFL season. Season passes are now available for the equivalent of £110.

Fans based in the UK and Ireland will still have access to live audio commentary, as well as extended highlights and exclusive behind the scenes videos in HD, across desktop, mobile, tablet and app. Existing PlayerHD subscribers have automatically joined iFollow whilst new subscriptions, costing as little as £4.49 a month, are now available.

https://www.efl.com/iFollow/

So the above to me says that service is not free and also that the video stream is only available to viewers outside of the UK and Ireland. On checking the FAQ on the iFollow site, this is confirmed

Why do fans in the UK and Republic of Ireland not have the same access to iFollow as international fans?

Under the EFL’s existing broadcast agreement with Sky Sports clubs are unable to offer fans in the UK or Republic of Ireland the same access to iFollow as international fans.

However it may mean that there will be a higher chance of finding an "alternative" stream to watch for free

Farsleyexile and Eric Le Merde like this.
  3. LeedsLover

oops, sorry about that Aski, I missed that bit, looks like we're all going to be using, and looking for the free streams again.

Doesn't say anything about charges on article, but good investigating Aski.....:emoticon-0148-yes:

4. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

No problem LL, the article you linked too, didnt mention anything at all about cost, so I just decided to check out the actual iFollow site to see what the catch was

5. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

you can pay for a yearly subscription and choose any match you wish to watch at anytime or you can pay £6 to watch a match without subscribing I will try it tomorrow for our game to see what its like <ok> you can watch it in the UK by just changing your address and fool it into thinking you are anywhere in the world, I do get the feeling like everything else someone somewhere will hook into it and stream it for free eventually <laugh>

6. LeedsLover

If you get that info Mighty let us all know...:emoticon-0148-yes:

7. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

will try to hook up to it free first before paying the six bucks but of course will let you know <ok>

ellandback likes this.
  8. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Thing is will you have to register as an overseas user and pay with a non uk credit card to be able to view ?

Not a problem for me as have a mate in the States who will do it for me.

Went on LUTV with my ip address from San Fransisco and as yet no option for ppv.

Be interesting to hear how you get on.

9. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

I'm in Italy jammy so half way there the whole thing is geared up for Brits abroad cant see paying with a uk card being a problem but to view you will have to change your VPN which is no problem <ok>

when you have sky highlights as an overseas viewer it stops me from viewing <yikes> so I change my VPN to London and it all works fine <ok> therefore should work otherway round <ok>
    will keep you posted on anything I discover <ok>

ellandback and Jammy 07 like this.
  10. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Many thanks.

Was just thinking though, that as I"m registered with Leeds and they know my home address plus the fact I have a season ticket might mean I need to register as an overseas customer under a different name etc.

You're probably right though, as I could just be an international entrepreneur/playboy who spends every other week on the other side of the world.

MIGHTY likes this.

11. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

that would make you a jammy dodger
    please log in to view this image

ok I will get my coat!!!!

12. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Mighty will be interested if you are able to get this to work, as according the the iFollow website when you register, you need to have a bank account held in the country that you are registering from (scratch this as forgot you are in Italy so it will work for you anyways)

If I live in the UK or Republic of Ireland and subscribe to iFollow, will I be able to watch games on iFollow when travelling abroad?
    No, in order to live stream games on iFollow you would need to purchase a separate pass whilst based abroad, that requires a local bank account and local address. Upon your return to the UK or Republic of Ireland you would not then be able to watch games but you would be able to listen to live audio match commentary on either of your passes.

Thus even if you use a fake address and VPN, you still need to overcome the hurdle of paying for the service in a local currency of the country you have registered in.

All in all whilst it is of interest, i'll continue to use my current setup of VPN and free streams on a best endeavours case

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Jammy 07 likes this.
  13. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

my bank is Italian Aski what would be interesting to find out is can someone from the UK use my password change their VPN to Italy and it works <ok>

14. Aski

Aski Well-Known Member

Yup realised that after making initial reply and was in process of editing post as you replied.

Logically your solution should work, as you say if the UK user logged into your account via a VPN spoofing an Italian IP address.

Guess you best start opening thousands of bank accounts so we could all take advantage :)

MIGHTY likes this.
  15. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

I'm sure these people have it all covered mukka nothing is ever that easy but will give it a go Friday to watch our game to see what the stream quality is like before commiting to anything major <ok>

16. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

i have registered for tonights game accepted address card everything and have to say 1st impression the quality looks good <ok>

just gotta hope laptop connects to TV and bobs your uncle COME ON YOU LIONS

SIX FOOKING EUROS cheaper than a London pint <ok>

LeedsLover likes this.
  17. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

How do you connect to the tv?

Reason I ask is that I had one of the original beta Chromecasts, but wasn't particularly impressed, tbh. I'm sure it's come on leaps & bounds since then, though. I presently us the Microsoft equivalent. Cost £25, and doesn't require the internet. Not sure if it's bluetooth-based or what, but it makes it's own connection (max 24ft cast), and can be used in hotels etc. where you don't have a connection to t'inernet. Can't fault it. Used it all over the world with no problems. Not sure if there are any other candidates these days, as I haven't had to look.

18. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

wireless TV miracast wireless laptop put TV on discoverable (similar to Bluetooth) laptop finds it connected <ok> all that you see on laptop screen and sound wireless onto TV <ok>

TV has built in NETFLIX Amazon Prime Video, Music etc etc its all pukka very impressive all wireless don't even need the lap top <ok>

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Whitejock likes this.
  19. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

all tested and working <ok> 50 inch screen, cinema sound, full volume, bring it on, COME ON YOU LIONS <laugh>

6 euros love it

20. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Sounds good. Only drawback for me is that it transmits what's on the laptop, rendering the laptop inoperable if you want to do something on it whilst watching the match (or did I misunderstand?). I've got the option of just casting one tab to the tv, leaving the rest of the laptop available for use.

MIGHTY likes this.