1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New era ahead, so who thinks we will stay up?

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by StCloudTiger, Jan 8, 2017.

1. over18and legal

over18and legal Well-Known Member

Yes we can stay up with Jak in goal.

CANADATIGER likes this.
  2. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

Not sure what red mist you are on about Patty. Wasn't the cash to spend £3m? Nowhere near enough in my opinion, but admire your optimism, but nothing else

3. TigerinSydney

TigerinSydney Well-Known Member

I think we're doomed unfortunately - albeit I'm sure we'll see an uplift in performance and points over the next 18 games

And if the Jak isn't given his chance as our first choice keeper in the premier league then I'm obviously useless at determining what a good goalkeeping performance looks like

4. Off The Line

Off The Line Well-Known Member

Fifty fifty on staying up. Although some silverware isn't out of the question... Marco Silvaware... has a ring to it.

5. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

We start a real relegation battle against Bournemouth, before that we were hardly skirmishing. A couple of decent additions and we have a hope. Don't just look at us, look at what's around us and any tumblers above. MP managed to get 65-70 mins of hope, MS needs to take that further. Clean sheets and scoring goals are a good start, but that needs to continue. I think there are very good reasons to be optimistic, but those signings are crucial. It really will be interesting to seevwhat his priorities are, i hope he starts with pace, then targets pace again.

over18and legal likes this.
  6. oldman

oldman Well-Known Member

Difficult one this as I'm on a self-imposed boycott so have only seen the lads live twice this season (with some good but some dodgy streams for the remainder) so haven't had the benefit of attending much but from what I've seen - heart says yes, head says ... yes.
    On the basis that:
    There's generally a team above the bottom three that falls into the relegation ****e late on
    We have some good players and can play decent football at times - just need to improve tactics and consistency = which is where MS comes in
    We've had a change of manager which often improves performances (and therefore results)
    We've been without Hernandez for a while so his return should improve matters
    We're still only 3 points from safety after an appalling run of results
    One of our fellow bottom feeders will likely suffer an injury to a key player (imagine Sunderland without Defoe)
    We don't need to spend significantly in January as with intelligent use of loans for decent players we could improve quality and depth - important given I don't believe Ehab will provide significant funds (maybe these will come from MS's Portuguese or Greek contacts?)
    MS needs to bed in his style of play which appears to be more progressive that SB / MP, because of this he seems to be willing to give everyone an opportunity which will hopefully raise individual performances for a while.

Lots can go wrong but I'm feeling much more positive that I did a week ago. Forget Mau U and the mickey mouse cup, hope MS uses this as an opportunity to prepare/drill the troops ready for the real battle ahead.

7. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

I'd rather win the League Cup & get relegated than stay up & be knocked out.

8. onlyme

onlyme Active Member

its a yes from me

9. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

It was just down to having a ridiculously big signature and ignore requests to reduce it.

10. over18and legal

over18and legal Well-Known Member

Cheers. Is he banned from all threads or just this one?

11. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Just this one.

And any other old ones where he was banned due to being a general cockwomble.

12. PoolTiger

PoolTiger Active Member

We've got some really difficult fixtures coming up but if we are still in contention at the end of February then I believe we can make the great escape when looking at our run-in fixtures.

13. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

If Marco doesn't give you confidence that we're staying up then I highly recommend you getting your spidey senses checked out...

Hull City's Marco Silva eyeing big EFL Cup upset at Manchester United | Hull Daily Mail

Hull City head coach Marco Silva is refusing to rule out the prospect of a huge EFL Cup upset tonight, despite preparing for a semi-final against Manchester United with just 15 senior professionals.

Still in his opening week as City boss after succeeding Mike Phelan last Thursday, Silva leads a threadbare squad to Old Trafford with a Wembley final up for grabs over two legs.

In stark contrast to countryman Jose Mourinho, who will recall his leading lights after a weekend rest, Silva's options are badly hindered. Harry Maguire is hoping to be hand his boss a boost after returning to training yesterday, but captain Michael Dawson is facing a late fitness test over a shoulder injury suffered at the weekend.

Curtis Davies' continued absence means Jake Livermore is on standby to again start as a central defender, with David Meyler deputising as a makeshift right-back.

City's problems are clear in the midst of Silva's breathless introduction to English football but the new boss insists they can conquer a star-studded opponent.

"I think it's a different challenge," said Silva, who is also without Ahmed Elmohamdy and Dieumerci Mbokani on African Nations duty, as well as long-term absentees Will Keane and Moses Odubajo.

"I am sure Manchester United are favourites but they need to prove this in the pitch and we will try to do the same.

"To get to the final is not easy. Manchester United is the favourite but we will do our best to be in the final.

"We are in the competition because our players have a dream to play the final so we need make sure we can get there. We try to keep (the tie) open."

Silva is no stranger to success against English football's elite after last season guiding his Olympiacos side to a 3-2 win at Arsenal in the Champions League.

That landmark result, ending a run of 12 consecutive defeats for the Greek side away to English opposition, stands as one of the highlights in Silva's coaching career but he stressed time has not been on his side this time around.

"When I came here in Emirates with Olympiacos, I had three or four months to work with my team and I prepared my roster for the year," said Silva.

"I prepared my team, made pre-season with my team. I had four months with this team, we played against Arsenal and Arsenal, of course, is a big favourite but we have months of work.

"At this moment it's completely different. When I talk to you about our problems, it's completely different."

Silva will be in the spotlight this evening with a number of pundits questioning his suitability to succeed Phelan. Paul Merson was particularly critical on Sky's Soccer Saturday programme at the weekend. Among his comments he asked: "What's he know about the Premier League? What's he know?"

Asked if pundits should show him more respect, Silva said: "Sure, sure. For me it's not important. I respect all the opinions, what the football people talk, but I don't for me not important how for me what is important is my work with my players and what our fans feel, what they believe. That is what is important for me in this moment."

14. Evington

Evington Well-Known Member

Surely someone has told him Merson is a ****er

15. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Jake certainly seems to be 'getting' him...

Hull City star Jake Livermore confident of frustrating Manchester United

Jake Livermore insists Hull City will head to Manchester United tonight targeting a victory that can help them take a giant stride towards the EFL Cup final.

The Tigers have already made history by reaching the last four of the competition for the first time and now stand just 180 minutes away from a fifth Wembley trip in nine seasons.

A City squad stretched to its limit by injuries will begin a two-legged semi-final as rank outsiders after Jose Mourinho promised to recall his leading lights, such as Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Paul Pogba, but Livermore says the arrival of new boss Marco Silva ensures a victory tonight is not out of the question.

"To be honest, going from the manager's beliefs, we'll be going there to win and that's what we want to do," said Livermore. "We've had some great performances this season. We had a great one against them earlier in the season and we're almost playing better than we were then.

"We just haven't had that little bit of luck but hopefully we can get that there."Getting to a final at Wembley would be huge. That would give the fans such a lift and the players as well. Some of the lads need it, that extra bit of belief to prove we can be all right."

City's primary aim for 2017 is to stave off the threat of relegation back to the Championship but cup competitions continue to provide cheer to a trying campaign. As well as overcoming Swansea City on Saturday to reach the FA Cup fourth round in Silva's first game as head coach, the Tigers have reached uncharted ground in the League Cup.

Such progress ensures City are in the midst of facing 11 games in 40 days and that demanding schedule is taking its toll ahead of tonight's mouthwatering fixture.

Injury doubts are hanging over captain Michael Dawson and Harry Maguire, with Curtis Davies joining Alex Bruce on the list of central defensive absentees. Livermore filled Maguire's void against the Swans, reverting to the defensive duties he held at the start of the season.

"I'll do whatever job I have to do for the team," he said. "I think whoever's in charge knows that. I enjoy it back there and I enjoy it in midfield.

"At the end of the day the most important thing is that the lads got off to a winning start under the new manager. Hopefully we can push on that."

On the potential of having no recognised central defenders at Old Trafford, just as they didn't in the closing stages against Swansea, Livermore added: "That's been our luck this season so to speak. We can't keep dwelling on injuries, management, fans boycotting (like they did at the weekend) or whatever it is.

"We just need to get on with the job in hand and at this moment in time that's about winning football matches. That's what we deserve as a team, as a fan base and as a club."

16. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

And Merson thinks...

Hull v Bournemouth (Saturday, 3pm)

This is the game for Hull. If they lose this one I think they are relegated. They will be so far behind by this time next month I think it will be nearly impossible to get out of it.

The fixtures they have coming up in the league are bordering on atrocious; they play Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and then Arsenal.

17. renegadetiger

renegadetiger Well-Known Member

He's like Hemingway, isn't he?

"Bordering on atrocious" indeed. Like Merson's presenting.

18. Wade Wilson

Wade Wilson Well-Known Member

No chance, we're going down but we'll be back up again within 2 years.

19. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

Aye no chance we will stay up,

20. StCloudTiger

StCloudTiger Well-Known Member

"No chance" is a bold statement. I presume those that state such opinion held similar views 2 years ago re Leicester?

look_back_in_amber likes this.