1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic New England Manager

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by ostlan, Sep 30, 2016.

1. ostlan

ostlan Active Member

I know our thoughts and worries should be aimed at the plight of the current Town situation but I was just wondering who you lovely peeps think should take the helm of the National team?

My choice would be Mr Wenger - simply due to his track record and no nonsense attitude or maybe someone younger with a view to advancing the squad further down the line.

Would be good to know your opinions and options :)

2. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Even though he's not English (always thought every national manager should be from that country), and that he's also German, I'd give it to Klinnsman - Failing that, I'd give Hoddle another bash at it.

ostlan likes this.
  3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Sadly I don't think there are many standout English managers to take it so I haven't got a clue.

ostlan likes this.
  4. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you SD - there are no decent up and coming English managers out there atm (hence why Allardyce got it)
    What's your take on Eddie Howe - think he could be a future England manager (or is he a one-team manager who can't cut it anywhere else)?

ostlan likes this.
  5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I think Howe's main problem would be his inexperience with dealing with so-called big name players and getting their respect,maybe working with the present setup,including Sammy Lee,who I can't see many people arguing with,would help.

6. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Should go to the best Englishman available.......anything else is cheating and I will not support watch or interact with such blatant disrespect for the Nation, the Sport and the Fans.

7. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Ronald Koeman <ok>

San Diego likes this.
  8. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Nope..
    ...never had you down as a cheater cheater poo poo eater...

9. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Just being pragmatic! <ok>

10. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

I know I'm going against modern thinking....but I think that we might as well just retire international football and concentrate on club football .....might as well just have a World Cup with the best club side from each nation if nationality is no longer considered..........and I don't go with the argument that the players are English which is what counts as the Manager is more instrumental in success or failure.

11. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Weighty,I came to that conclusion a while ago and have for several years struggled to get any enthusiasm for watching the bunch of over-paid primadonnas.

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.
  12. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Arsene Wenger is the only option in my view. Regardless of his nationality, he has been at the top of English football for 2 decades (More than any of the others listed) and knows better than anyone the faults of domestic football, both in our own leagues as well as when we compete in Europe.

He has spoken previously about the way young footballers are pandered to in the academy network and therefore English players don't develop the determination and grit that South American's do (as an example). He is suitably placed to use his vast experience of domestic and European competition to get the national team competitive whilst playing attacking football, as well as look into the development of young players around the country.

He also isn't too fussed about upsetting the FA or the English media and will see this as (potentially) his final job and will therefore not hold back in trying to achieve what he feels is best for him to achieve within the role.

Therefore my vote is for Mr Wenger

13. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Should we try Neymar up front Bale Out wide maybe Fabricass in the middle Coutois in Goal?

14. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Well, clearly No.

but I'm not sure I get this determination to pick from such a small pool of options to the detriment of the whole programme. The best candidate is the best candidate.

Other sports do this, Cricket, Rugby, Hockey, Swimming, Rowing, Cycling etc. etc. (The list really does go on) and have achieved success by being ruthless in their approach.

Having a Foreign manager doesn't make the whole system foreign.. we won't be playing games anywhere but Wembley, training anywhere but St. George's.. The coaches & army of support staff will still be English and the shirts will still have 3 lions on them and importantly a manager (albeit French) that knows the domestic game better than anyone

15. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Why is it okay that the most important part of the set up doesn't have to adhere to the same criteria as the rest?

It should be the best of a nation against the best of another nation.....from the top to the bottom..manager to tea lady.

Just because other sports/nations do it does not make it right.... A winner of a chess match is the person that moves the pieces not the nation that made the pieces.

International football should not be about winning at all costs it's about doing the best you can with the assets at your disposal......

itfcptc and ncgandy like this.
  16. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more Weighty <ok>

17. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Personally couldn't give a toss who gets the job, the players run the asylum.

Capello was the one man I thought would have been perfect, but the horrific English mentality put paid to that having a chance. Players didn't even want to sit down for a meal together for heavens sake.

Until the players mature we're never going to achieve anything - and to be honest rightly so. Very arrogant players that think they only have to turn up.

18. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Well this is clearly something we fundamentally disagree on.

Performance sport doesn't work that way, did Andy Murray 'cheat' to his grand slam & Olympic titles as he has a foreign coach? Did you celebrate Team GB's Women's hockey on their Gold even though they have an Australian coach in their system? Does Adam Peaty's world record in the pool not count as he has utilised a foreign performance analyst, Laura Trott, Sir Chris Hoy don't count as they had use of a foreign coach? Alistair Brownlee, Mo Farah etc etc etc..
    as I think you will find it impossible to find any sporting achievement that hasn't benefited from a foreign coach or support staff within that system.

In fact there are already members of the FA staff based at St. George's who aren't English, even when we've had English managers. So this idealistic vision of what the National set up should be is fanciful, and hasn't been applicable for decades and as such, we are years behind those which we are snobbishly turning our noses up at

19. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Do it right or don't do it at all..........if all around you are 'cheating' and the only way to compete is to also 'cheat' I personally would rather just walk away with my head held high knowing that I've kept my dignity.

Scowey the vast majority of your examples are individual sports and I've never really seen the point of over egging which nation each individual comes from.....it's one on one.

I admit to not being that excited by women's hockey.

Background staff I've no problem with tbh......but those that have a direct input/impact on the game should by of that nation ......if not where does the line come....only three overseas players in the starting line up?

ncgandy and itfcptc like this.
  20. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

We haven’t really been turning up our noses at those with foreign managers. We’ve tried with a couple ourselves since 2000. That didn’t exactly turn out well.

Actually, the world’s best teams such as Spain, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Italy etc. haven’t looked outside their own nations for a manager, and that hasn’t hurt them too much.

I do get the concept of ‘if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em’ regarding the many nations who are happy to employ foreigners, but I firmly believe that’s not how it should be. An England ‘team’ should be just that.