1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

National League

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I dont know about you guys but since the football league loaned us out to the National League for a season, I kind of got a soft spot for that league and I now and then have a look at their table to see whats happening.

Of course, im sure some of you wont care and are glad we are way clear of that.

For those who are interested and havent had a look to see how some clubs are doing, here is a few details.

Lincoln are top of the table, 4 points clear of Forest Green who are 2nd and Lincoln have 2 games in hand on them too!

3rd place Tranmere and 4th place Dag & Red are only behind Forest Green by 1 and 2 points respectively but Tranmere have 2 games in hand and Dag & Red have 1 game in hand on Forest Green. So Forest Green could drop to 4th if those games in hand are won.

The last play off place is currently filled by Dover in 5th but Barrow in 6th are 3 points behind Dover and Barrow got 2 games in hand on Dover.

Its very close outside the play off places where 8 teams are within 10 points from 5th place Dover and a fair few of them have games in hand. Should be an exciting and a close finish for the play off places.

York are rock bottom which has surprised me. Torquay are just 2 points above the bottome 4 and ex Rovers player Nathan Blissett had got most of their goals. But he has recently joined Plymouth so I wonder where they will get their goals from now and if they will survive relegation this season.

Ex Rovers player Charlie Clough has just left Forest Green and joined Barnet!

The league's top scorer is Ricky Miller of Dover (age 27) with 25 goals averaging a goal every 79 minutes! 2nd top scorer is Byron Harrison (who we know very well) of Barrow (29) with 17 goals averaging a goal every 134 minutes.

Although Harrison's age is not on his side, I would be happy if we signed either of these 2 players.

2. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I look at the table every now and again like I've always done I like to see what the local teams are doing and the former league teams. Wrexham have been down there a while now

3. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Wrexham, Chester, Tranmere...they've lost a few league clubs around there... what happened to the two automatic places?

4. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

See Eastleigh sold another player after Partington I wonder whether the novelty has worn off for the owner

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Yeah and he scored against us today in the Central League.

6. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Junk League, sadly though, something that will always be part of our history now, prefer not to look at it if I was to be honest.

7. old timer

I think the national league did us a power of good, NH had the courage of his convictions and stuck with DC when some were calling for his head, DC in turn got rid of the overpaid prima dona's got us promoted back into the league at the first attempt and then gave us a further promotion last season and despite some of us moaning about recent results a fairly successful season so far

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Forget the errors/mistakes by the players this season. Forget all the results as well. If someone at the start of the season told me that Rovers would be 10th and just 6 points behind the play offs with 18 games to go, I would have took that 100%. So yes, this season in that regard has been fairly successful. However, if you look at some results/performances and how we have lost games due to so many errors/mistakes, this season could be so much better. We must have lost a minimum of 10 points due to errors that we have made. Maybe even more points. If we could cut out those errors then look where we would be now? Thats why some of us have moaned <ok>

old timer likes this.
  9. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Consistency's been a problem. On our day we can probably give anyone a game...

10. old timer

CJS I am not moaning about people moaning because I am not happy about some of the defending either but I do believe that the outlook is more positive than some supporters would have us believe both on and off the pitch. The board are from conversations I had recently working very hard to reach an agreement over the new stadium we have recently purchased a new training ground and although the results are not perfect we are at present holding our own in league 1 and hopefully the right additions will still be made in this window to bring in the players that will improve matters on the pitch

11. old timer

Sutton and Lincoln both doing well in the FA Cup glad we got out whenwe did

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Suttons reserve keeper is 45 years old <laugh> I would love to see him in goal vs Arsenal <laugh>

13. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

As long as those green vegan ****s stay down there I'm happy.