1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

My thoughts

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by dansafcman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

Cracking game last night, some brilliant football by both sides.

:emoticon-0137-clapp to chelsea, who were outstanding in the second half. Anelka put in a top class performance.

I think Bruce got the team selection right, bar one. In hindsight, i think Mensah would of done a better job than Ferdinand, who is solid 99% of the time but is prone to getting caught out -> which is exposed when playing the top teams.

In the first half our tactics worked, with Richardson causing problems and our midfield giving as good as they got.

However, in the 2nd half Chelsea negated any effect richardson had and Anelka ran our midfield ragged. Chelsea were defending on the half way line, while we defended on the 18 yard box.
    If we had an option of bringing on a 2nd center forward, i think it would have been different. Once Richardson was shackled, Chelsea had enough confidence to defend high up the pitch and Terry was making forward runs as they only had to cope with Gyan. At Chelsea's ground, Chelsea were so worried about Welbeck and Gyan that they sat back and defended a lot deeper than they did last night.
    If we could of gone 4-4-2 last night, with Gyan and Welbeck, I think that we could of gotten at least a draw out of the game.

As it is, I cant be disappointed by the way we played and I cant fault the players. I think 4-5.1 will work against all the "smaller" teams (not top 4 + Spurs).

Henderson had a poor game, but that is not because he is a poor player (as said by some - not necessarily on this forum). He is a cracking young player, who is still inexperienced. Against the "smaller" teams, the inexperience isnt a problem, as he has enough talent to get by, however against the likes of Essien, Anelka (who was basically played a midfield role last night) etc who are cracking players with experience, Hederson's lack of it is exposed and he finds it harder to cope - especially when we dont have a defensive midfielder next to him (Cattermole/Meyler). Its against teams like Chelsea that Muntari will be a good asset, and hopefully he will be able to pass some of his experience on to Henderson.

Elmo also found it hard to influence the game, as he was man marking Cole the entire time.

Sess looked better and better as the game went on, and he should be excellent once he has had a few games.

Bring on Stoke!

<cheers>