1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Movement on Jay Simpson

Discussion in 'Millwall' started by Millwallsteve, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Bosco

Bosco Member

As pointed out by the other posters, it took him time to settle up north.

I think Simpson will come good. He has scored a couple for City, but then we signed Fryatt and McClean. A loan will hopefully give him playing time, especially having just got back from injury. I reckon a continued run and a bit of confidence and he’ll be banging them in, hopefully not against us….

A colleague who saw him play at Arsenal thought highly of him.

2. Blaknamberblood

Blaknamberblood Well-Known Member

Simpson will score goals, but he is desperately low on confidence and needs someone to play off. Given a good run in the time alongside Henderson, I`m certain you`ll have a goal scorer on your hands.

3. MIGHTY

MIGHTY Del-Boy

please log in to view this image

4. H-D

H-D Active Member

I agree with the point about him not settling here. Hull is a completely different environment from London, and with him recently having a child, it can't have been easy for him and his family.

I'm not saying that's an excuse for poor performances - I think it's ridiculous when players want out because 'they don't like the area.' Simpson came here having had a turbulent pre-season though, with a lot of pressure to deliver (as he was 1 of 2 strikers at the time <ok>).

A loan to Millwall (or even a permanent transfer) will be good for him, they're the right kind of club for him now. Personally I rate Jay and think he has the potential to score a lot of goals at this level, but unfortunately that won't be with Hull City.

5. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Just for clarification on the fee, it was quoted as £650k at the time which is why you might think we paid a lot. This actually turned out to be £50k and the rest was made up of ridiculous add-ons ie promotion, he plays 10 Premier League games, scores 75 goals in a season and wins the Ballon d'or....

Best all round if he goes and if we get 300k then sweet as a nut.

6. TIGERGURL_KnowsMoreAboutFootballThanMen

yay. Jay Simpson was quoted in pre-season that he was now settled up north and ready to go. NP does seam to panic over his mis-firing strikers alot. All NP needs to do is apoint a striker coach. Much cheaper than looking for new forwards. Hull City have good strikers who dont get much service. Hopefully that will end when Cammy Stewart returns.
    If JS does leave my hope its just a temporary loan to get his confidence back.

7. Jaggro

Jaggro Active Member

I for one will majorly disappointed if he leaves, especially if it's on a permanent. I think he has the potential but needs to play with the right tactics, and at the moment he doesn't suit our style of play. He could be quality for another team, particularly if he's first choice.

He's been treated pretty poorly over here really, didn't score for about 15 games at the start of last season but he had absolutely no chances. We brought in Cam Stewart for support and then Simmo banged in 4 goals in 2 games. He was immediately dropped when we brought new strikers in, despite his newly-found confidence. After that he's made around 15-20 last-second substitute appearances, literally 87th+ minute, with no chance of making any impact on a game.

8. Millwallsteve

Millwallsteve Waterloo's Finest
    Forum Moderator

Thanks for that BCC - that's the sort of grown up answer I was looking for not the stupid childish one that I initially got! <doh>

<cheers>

9. craig27

craig27 Member

Add Content

10. Millwallsteve

Forum Moderator

<ok>

11. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Last time he started a game I think he scored in the 3rd minute v Middlesbrough, i can't remember what happened after that (please no one remind me). To sum him up he's good with the ball at his feet, can thread a pass through, can make good runs and get into dangerous positions but he's let down by his composure in front of goal. I've always thought we looked more threatening with him in the side and even now would probably be my preferred choice alongside fryatt but Pearson seems not to rate him.

All he needs is a bit of confidence and I think he'll start to shine.

12. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

He's a good player, simple as. I just dont think it's worked out for one reason and another. That happens, it's nobody's fault.

13. Totally HCAFC

Totally HCAFC Active Member

shot against Macclesfield summed him up, 4 yards out, blazes over 20 metres!

14. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

People keep quoting that but it was the rebound from one of Fryatt's one-on-ones where he just runs up to the keeper and doesnt shoot. For some reason everyone blames Simpson for missing but not Fryatt. That includes Pearson who now seems intent on getting rid but he's convinced Fryatt will start scoring.

I like them both and I'm not trying to knock anyone but I think Simpson is treat a bit unfairly when he's done no worse this season than Fryatt who is first name on the team sheet.

15. tommylion

tommylion Active Member

yeah - a chip on both shoulders!

16. Millwallsteve

Forum Moderator

Could it be an old pals act from their Leicester days blinding Pearson's judgement? <ok>

17. H-D

H-D Active Member

Fryatt scored 9 goals in 23 appearances last season, he is by far our best striker and I'd have him in the team every week. We've tried pairing the two but the partnership has evident problems.

In my opinion Aaron McLean or Martyn Waghorn (who's coming in on loan today/tomorrow) can form a far more productive partnership with Fryatt.

18. Totally HCAFC

Totally HCAFC Active Member

THANK YOU, someone that talks sense. Fryatt scores, Simpson doesn't. Fryatt causes defences and teams damage. Simpson causes fans damage from his dreadful shots wildly shot into the stands. I may be a bit on fair on him but lets be honest he's not good enough.

19. BigotAlertAnalRimMan

considering we paid nothing for him i don't see the point of selling him now?

Loan him out but don't sell him. a good season with millwall and he could be worth a lot more.

Why not loan him now with a chance to buy him for £1million if he has a good season.

£1million for a a 10+ goals striker in the championship isn't that much, if he doesn't do that well then fine but it doesn't make financial sense to sell him, when we all know that he can only be worth more than £50k in the future

20. H-D

H-D Active Member

The argument that Simpson and Fryatt are of similar ability is a non-starter in my opinion.

There's no doubt Simpson has a lot of potential and could be a very good striker in the Championship, but in terms of track record and overall ability, Fryatt is by far the superior player.