1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

MK Dons game

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by deleted....., Apr 3, 2017.

?

Should fans protest at MK Game?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2017.
  1. No, show respect to PC Palmer for whole game

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Yes, show respect at start of game then all restrictions off

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. charltonted

charltonted Active Member

If there are any potential buyers of the club, perhaps a decent crowd showing full respect where deserved will encourage them to buy, it will hopefully be clear after tomorrow that there are many of us waiting to spend our hard earned cash at the turnstiles as soon as this current owner & hangers-on are gone.

2. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

I think a protest during the game would provide our dearly beloved SMT some PR ammunition.

3. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Read earlier that Charlton are hoping for an attendance of 18,000- 20,000 tomorrow night.

4. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

I've got a weird feeling that we'll win this one, making talk of a protest irrelevant. Maybe I need to change my medication.

5. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

18,000-20,000 would be astounding.
    The last couple of Tuesday evening home games have seen barely 6,000 in the Valley.
    In the circumstances I would expect maybe 12,000 or 13,000 actually attending tomorrow evening, though the official figure will be higher. But if there are around 20,000 in the ground it will be an incredible gesture of respect and solidarity from Charlton fans for the family of PC Palmer.

I very much hope that after all the talk since the tragedy occurred, the actual turnout tomorrow is not less than any of us expects. There is simply no way to tell I guess.

6. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

It's going to be an emotionally charged evening.

There has been speculation that as many as 20,000 Charlton fans might attend the Valley tonight. Personally I'm not sure it will be that many, but however many supporters do come to pay their respects, I hope that the attendance figure won't be used for political purposes later, by the Club or by some protesters.
    I suppose this is a forlorn hope, but I want to be clear that as far as I'm concerned this match tonight is dedicated to PC Palmer and his family, along with the other people who lost their lives and their loved ones in the Westminster attack. I will be leaving differences and disputes at home when I travel this evening.

I also hope that the fans this evening can refrain from venting any frustration or unhappiness towards the administration if things do not go well for our team on the pitch. It would be a real and moving tribute to Keith Palmer if our supporters could spend the evening singing our traditional songs and anthems loud and long, whether our 11 players are winning or not. I appeal to everybody who reads this - please let's show our solidarity for PC Palmer by getting behind our team for 90 minutes and more. I can't think of any better way that we can show how much his sacrifice means to us.

To echo my first paragraph, I very much hope that no aspect of what happens tonight in SE7 becomes the subject of recriminations and arguments between different factions of supporters in the days and weeks to come.
    We have so many other things to argue with each other about. Adding this match to that list will demean us all; there will be no winners in such disputes, and I won't allow myself to be drawn into any of them.

There are endless times and endless reasons for us to take sides and argue amongst ourselves.
    Tonight is not the time. And this match is not a reason.

Ken Shabby and ForestHillBilly like this.
  7. Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski Well-Known Member

The memorial aside, if we get a 20,000 crowd, surely that sends a message to the SMT that they don't want to come because of them!

8. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Although I agree with this post, the Upper North has a mind of its own, and we are powerless in the face of whatever it decides to do, good or bad.

9. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Has CARD made any statements on this issue?

10. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Id be surprised if we got 20k. I'd love it to happen but just can't see it.

That said I'm going with a group of non charlton fans as they wanted to pay respect. Wonder if fans of other clubs are attending for the same reason.

11. User deleted as requested

No, but the leader of CAST is now saying that we should not have a protest on Saturday either as it is Upbeats Day. That's the thing about Charlton supporters groups - they will always find a reason to wring their hands.

Ponders Revisited likes this.
  12. deleted.....

All that would happen is that the Gillingham game would be declared 'Greenwich Youth Day' again .... then the Swindon game would become the 'Puppy Dog Day' game .... and CAST will declare that we should not have any protests again this season!

13. User deleted as requested

Steve Clarke from CAST -

"Please do not protest at the home game v Gillingham, even though it's a bit annoying being in the bottom 4. Important to remember it's Easter Monday & we have to respect our Christian fans. COYR"

14. deleted.....

Jezus Christ <doh>

15. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

16. User deleted as requested

17. deleted.....

I have a feeling that our chain was pulled Super <grr>

18. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Your* chain ;)

19. deleted.....

<laugh> there I was being nice and pretending to have been taken in as well ..... then you try to hang me out to dry? <yikes>

20. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Unless there is a surge for tickets on the gate, apparently we are looking at 10k people physically inside the ground.