1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mind Your Own Business Ollie!

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by johnnywarksmoustache, Nov 28, 2016.

1. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

I have the greatest of respect for Ian Holloway as a manager and I know that there are some on here who wish that he was at Town rather than elsewhere but I think he should mind his own bloody business!

He said: “Everybody thinks they should be at the top of the table now – particularly here, don’t you? Yeah? Particularly here.
    “I would just like to remind you ‘where were you when Mick McCarthy first turned up?’ How short memories you have, with the greatest of respect. It’s not the best thing to sell all your best players all the time is it? Seven points you had.
    “Never mind about going up, what about not going down? What about keep building? It don’t make sense for me, sorry.
    “He’s a good mate of mine and I’m only being realistic. Don’t bring your own woes and chuck it at someone – that’s how I feel. Ask why you have to keep selling your best players all the time. You got someone from non-league (Tyrone Mings) and sold him for eight million. Is that what Mick wants to do? I doubt it.
    “Just have a bit of a thought sometimes, that’s all I’m saying, and then you might get what you want for Christmas.
    “I’m hope you don’t mind me saying that and think I’m making a big story of it, but I’m just saying have a little look where you were and have a little think about who you are having a go at. That’s all I’m saying.”

He doesn't know the ****e we as fans have had to put up with over the last 15 years! We are heartily sick of being "patient"!

2. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I think he's right in terms of be careful what you wish for but it must be a sort of torture to watch us every game.

It's very easy to look at what Mick has done on paper in a mainly positive light but what about people who go to the games and have to pay lots of money to watch that anti football crap!!

Bigalreigned likes this.
  3. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

That's the problem. On the one hand I kind of agree with him, but on the other, paying lots of money to watch our football week in week out isn't getting your money's worth. I think ultimately we have to accept it's business first, entertainment second unfortunately.

4. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I read this piece on TWTD and saw that there were plenty of people mad at his comments.
    It seems to me that he he is trying to say we should be pointing the finger at Evans rather than Mick. Two or three times he mentions best players being sold. I reckon those two had a chat after the game and Mick has told him that he's being hamstrung by the owner.

Still, not his business though.

5. johnnywarksmoustache

The bit that annoyed me the most was him implying that the fans were impatient!!!! We must be THE most patient fans in the whole country FFS! We have put up with crap football for 10 years since Jimbo was given the boot!

itfcptc and San Diego like this.
  6. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, how many of the members here go regularly to the games?

7. johnnywarksmoustache

I did last season but have only been to see the Barnsley game so far this season. I'm going up to Suffolk next weekend but will be giving Portman Road a wide berth!

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Obviously not me, distance is a bit of an issue <ok>

9. johnnywarksmoustache

When was the last time you went to Portman Road SD?

10. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I am a Season Ticket holder so go to almost every home game and the odd away fixture

11. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Home game against Leeds late 2010.
    Used to get to a few matches when I lived in Amsterdam. I always planned trips home around us having a couple of back to back home games.
    Haven't been a regular for quite some time. I've been living abroad since 2001.

12. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Respect Bigal <ok>

It's one of those catch 22 situations for some I guess.
    I think you should stick with your team through thick and thin but then if the fans always turn up for games, the powers that be won't think anything is wrong.
    A horrible place to be in as a supporter.
    Less supporters equals less revenue and the downward spiral begins.

13. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

The way I read it...it seems that Holloway wants Evans out first.

San Diego likes this.
  14. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I used to be a season ticket holder but gave it up when I moved as I can't get home after midweek games. I did go to every Saturday home game but gave it up when RK was manager as I didn't like the football we were playing & didn't want to spend £50 a time (train ticket & match ticket) watching crap football. Nothing has changed in the years since so I try & go about 1/2 a dozen times a season.
    Regarding Ian holloway's comments, I wouldn't care if we playing in league 1 providing we played attacking football and the players cared about the jersey (giving the youth players a chance would be a start) but instead the Holloway and the media, especially those on channel 5 think we should be counting our lucky stars that we are going to finish mid tableish playing dreadful football - not for me

15. stretchyboy

The reason I ask, is that if you (generally speaking) don't go to any or many games, how important of an issue is it that we play pretty football? surely the result would matter more?

fieldmarshall likes this.
  16. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Stretchy,that's the distinct impression I get from some of the comments on here.I've said before given that we are unlikely to put in a serious challenge for promotion any time soon I'd much rather we tried to play football occasionally!We'd probably still end up mid table but at least the crowds might improve.

17. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

My thoughts exactly.

18. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Following a football club, whether attending or not, is not just about results though is it?
    We want to be talked about, respected or feared no matter level we're playing at.
    I don't follow Ipswich just to read the full time score, I wouldn't bother paying for crappy Ipswich Player if that was the case and I wouldn't get out of bed at half six in the morning even when I'm tired.

I still want to be entertained even through radio commentary. I want the commentators to be waxing lyrical about us, not going over the same problems week in, week out.
    As Bigal says, if we're going to finish outside the play offs anyway what harm can it do to be more adventurous?

johnnywarksmoustache and itfcptc like this.
  19. johnnywarksmoustache

Back in the halcyon days of Bobby Robson we were everybody's second club! I was fortunate enough to be growing up back then and being caught up in the pure magic and excitement of supporting Ipswich Town! Portman Road was buzzing when we beat the best that Europe never mind England had to offer! I know those days will never return as money rules these days and without a foreign owner we are one of the left behind clubs unfortunately. I am surprised as we have the heritage and the pedigree to attractive to would be investors. Marcus Evans has strangled the life out of us during his tenure and we have been reduced to being a TAX avoidance policy! This my friends is what we have git to look forward to! Forget the football that is now a secondary concern. I will keep on supporting my club whatever happens just like the rest of you but it isn't easy!

fieldmarshall and San Diego like this.
  20. stretchyboy

Fair points all round - and I totally agree, it would be nice to have that good feeling back. We are definitely stuck in a rut at the moment, which is even more frustrating when we have an owner (who is Ipswich through and through) who is worth £800m.