1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mike Norris - RIP

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Mar 15, 2017.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Mike Norris died earlier today.

After initially being something of a hate figure amongst Charlton fans in the 80s when we moved to Selhurst, it is no exaggeration to say that without Mike and Roger Alwen, we would never have got back to the Valley in 92 and then gone on to have a glorious period in our history under Alan Curbishley.

I remember being at a packed Valley Club one night in the mid 80s when Mike Norris fronted up to a very angry group of Charlton fans. Those were in the days when we had proper people who cared about Charlton at the helm.

A sad day. RIP Mike.

2. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

3. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Mike was good people who was not afraid to take difficult decisions... RIP Mike <peacedove>

4. Oooopeakeyrocket

Mike was the reason I support CAFC. Coming from a Hammers family, they were my team, however my old man who was the one Addick in the fold, took me occasionally and I had a soft spot for CAFC but no more. As my old man was a mate of Mike's - they were fellow Rotarians - when Mike joined the board he invited my old man and me on the Sue Parkes gig in his executive box. Got to mix with the players after and everything. Then by the time I made my covered end debut in the Stoke game I was converted! That was at the beginning of the 84/85 season. I remember clearly the infamous leaflet before the Palace game and Mike saying they genuinely felt they had no option - even if as we now suspect John Fryer and the Sunleys had more Maccavelian motives. He and a couple of others came in to give the club some much needed financial support and as the OP says, as that magnificent team of Lennies shoestring trojans (Johns, Humphrey, Reid, Pender, Gritt, Berry, Aizelwood, Thomson, Curbs, Pearson, Lee - best Addicks team of all time!) got us up and rescued the club, then Mike and Roger Alwyn came to the fore and eventually worked with the fans and led us home. I can only reiterate that for supporting Lenny in the summer of 1984 and then for getting us home everyone who supports the Addicks owes Mike an enormous debt of gratitude.

I saw him at the Christmas dinner for old rotarians in December - we were on the same table. A very nice and charming man - I chastised him for causing me to support Charlton and he apologised sincerely! His family can hopefully take some comfort on his particular contribution to our history.

5. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

There's nothing on the OS about him. Let's hope this is corrected soon.

6. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

If there is no tribute on the O/S by the end of the day, it will be the latest example of their customary lack of class.

7. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

It's on OS now <ok>

8. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

RIP Mike Norris. Genuinely one of ours.

9. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

Best Addicts team for me was

Wright
    Curtis Went Reeves Kinsey
    Gtegory Campbell Moore Peacock