1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Mid Winter Break? ..... NOT606 Votes No

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by smhbcfc, Sep 1, 2016.

?

Should there be a 2-week Mid-Winter Break for the EPL?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2016.
  1. Yes - a 2-week break every year

15.0%
  2. Yes - a 2-week break in years when there is a Tournament at the end

25.0%
  3. No - not in favour of a break

60.0%
  1. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

This week (and the boredom of the International break) maybe a bad time to suggest this ..... but should we have a compulsory 2 week mid-winter break for the English Premier League?

Time and time again English players arrive at a tournament knackered. I believe it also affects countries with large English Premier League contingents - for example Belgium who woefuly underperformed in France.

We could have a compulsory mid-winter break of 2 weeks for the Premier League. In that time clubs would be able to travel abroad to get better weather for quality training, but would not be able to play matches (maybe just behind closed doors and not televised).

Players would then be able to return to action refreshed, and it gives time for minor injuries to heal.

I appreciate the games have to be fitted in at some point. Maybe the break could be just in years when there is a major tournament (so every other year). in those seasons the EPL could start a week early.

While the Championship has 24 teams a break for that league seems unworkable, so this suggestion/question is just the EPL.

Your thoughts gentlemen please?

2. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I'm old and getting more bitter by the day.
    I think the above may be a good idea to come back 'refreshed' if the greedy ba****ds didn't travel to China pre season.

Anyway, the Premiership can do what they want as long as the Championship doesn't follow suit.
    It's bad enough for me with bl**dy international breaks - we qualify easily and then fail miserably at the Finals.
    Utter waste of time.

smhbcfc and RedorDead like this.
  3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I'll care about the premiership next season- when we are in it ;)

Red Robin likes this.
  4. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Only having a break in years there's an international tournament seems like a good idea to me. Not sure quite how much impact it'd make to be honest, but it'd be one less excuse to try and use.

smhbcfc likes this.
  5. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

villa have put them selves into a tight place covered in brown ..ADOMAH Kodija AT LEAST 2 AFRICA NATIONS PLAYERS!

smhbcfc likes this.
  6. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Yes bet they did not think of that <laugh><laugh><laugh>

smhbcfc likes this.
  7. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Their buys will be judged on wether they achieve a top 6 at the end of (as in fact will ours)

Strangely not many Portuguese play the Prem….

smhbcfc likes this.
  8. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

No not in favour of it one bit. As Redprint states Man U Chelsea and the likes will just go on tours somewhere so where is the benefit in it? Plus a lot of the other nations players play in the prem so it's still an even playing field.
    I love the Christmas games, I've more time to get to away games etc.

I don't get paid to have breaks if you pro rota it their hours v mine my 30 days holiday a year then they are living the dream. At their age I could go on the piss get in at silly o'clock and still go into work and put a full shift in for a salary that prem players earn in a few days!

So **** em ;)

smhbcfc and Red Robin like this.
  9. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I seem to be against the majority of this thread, I'm very much in favour of it, so long as the teams are not allowed to go abroad during that break. Germany has a length one, and I don't think it's any coincidence that they have a ridiculously good national team.

smhbcfc and BrightredRickster like this.
  10. smhbcfc

Elite sport these days is about gaining advantages with small percentages - if an international break in January means the England team are 2% better then surely it's worth a try

By the way - if we are all bored by this international break, wait until the 2022 World Cup in Qatar!!!

11. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Without bleating on but Wales got to the semis in the Euro's. England in 1990 and 1996 in recent times and they didn't have mid winter breaks. Blaming failure on that just seems like you're looking for something other than the managers didn't pick the right players or the players themselves are crap.

12. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

If more English players played abroad may make a bigger difference than a mid winter break to the national team.
    They claim tiredness now, yet somehow a 2/3 week break mid season, meaning the same amount of games will be crammed into less time will somehow make this better....
    We have seen matchfaybsquads grow to 17 to combat this and it's failed. Maybe other options such as unlimited subs as in other sports is the way to go?

13. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Unlimited subs ? No thanks.
    Managers very often use subs not for tactical or injury but just to waste time and count the clock down.
    Why we attempt to mess with the game I don't know.
    I don't for 1 minute advocate bad challenges but it's gone way to far.
    Tackling was an art - it's now been replaced by cheating queens (am I allowed to say queens?) diving as though they've been shot.
    The prblem - If players get told often enough they're tired, they believe it.

Sorry to ramble on, this bl**dy international break does my head in.
    So much so I'm off to watch Yeovil later.

14. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Agree- A sub was always known as a Number 12 in my day- There was one sub and that was only introduced in the late 60's- Should have 3 max on the bench otherwise it will get like American football where subs come on for particular movements- Never seen such a boring sport, far too many stoppages-
    As for the winter break, its a complete waste of time if clubs just go off abroad to play some money spinning game

15. smhbcfc

I'm saying that to make it work the clubs would not be allowed to play games abroad during the break

All interesting and good points - I wholly agree that it's not the only reason and Wales are a great example of a team doing well (though they lost to England)
    I'm just saying it could help.

Me too!!

16. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Do you think they would listen?- Bit doubtful myself- Champions league seems to come above everything now- Wales are doing great now, but I do remember a time when Giggs always seemed to be injured for friendlies and was withdrawn by his club but ok for World Cup games- We do need more support from clubs if we are going to make things work internationally- In a results business, if I was a manager, I am afraid I would be putting myself first too-

17. johngalleyfan2

NOW THERE IS SOMETHING I MAY never see ...

18. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

A break would probably be used by teams to work on fitness by working hard due to an absence of games. For a break to work they'd have to do what they do in f1 and haves rules stopping teams training for a set period. I can't see a break being that affective if there is no rest.

I am opposed to the break and most ideas the FA seem to come up with to 'improve' the game

If it ain't broke don't fix it

19. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

There has been much Talk about improving for as long as I can remember. One before was to have a root and branch (whatever that was) look into it- Was obviously really effective given our performances in majors since-
    The idea surely should be to look at what works for successful teams and look to build on those ideas. The only one I can see lately is letting the U23s play in the Paint Pot Cup. Given the mixed success of that so far, I cant see its really an inspired idea-
    Yes, a break might help, but as many have already said on here, its likely to be abused anyway-
    30 years on, we are still no better off

20. johngalleyfan2

years ago there was a reserves league and u's ?? used to play in various other match's v other teams
    what is happening is that the prem is making everything better for them and worse for all below them ....
    they have squads for first team squads for Europe and still teams like Chelsea and Man utd etc have dozens left over they farm out to lower league clubs
    the result is the lower league clubs get more and more foreign players and home bred talent gets pushed further out and away
    when a team in the prem has to drop a top foreign player to conform to its squad something is wrong ..... or is it going in the RIGHT direction!
    THE ENGLISH PREM SHOULD BE "THE ENGLISH PREM" have more players on the field at any one time than players from other nations applying so always 6 English and 5 imports...on the field at same time ...
    same rules should apply to the championship .....
    at the very worst it should 5 against 6 imports ......

AFRICA now has enough players to have their own premierships most of South America has and ASIA is catching up ...
    in the uk's 5 leagues 1624 players a week are possibly going to add "1" appearance be it a minute or 90 to their CV... HOW MANY QUALIFY FOR England! = 20%? 30% 40% certainly no more
    how many good enough for England ... now talking no more than 2% 3% ..... !!!