1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mick Leach - My alltime favourite

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by danishqp, Nov 19, 2012.

1. danishqp

danishqp Well-Known Member

One thing is for sure, it appears that this is now a united board, the petty squabbles, niggles and threats have gone right out of the window. There's definitely nothing like a common enemy to unite us heh!

So in that spirit and whilst we wait for what many of us believe to be the only logical decision I thought I'd fulfill my promise to Stan (SB) to give an insight into a man who was not only my favourite player but one of the nicest people I've had the great fortune of knowing well.

That man is Mick Leach, a man who for me epitomised everything I love about my beloved team. Mick was a key member of the Immortal team of 76, hjowever unlike quite a few of the guys that had been bought in he'd always been with the rrrs seeing us through Division 3 to the oh so nearly heights of Champions. Mick didn't court the light like others in that side, Mick was rarely given the credit for what he did, what Mick did was play for his team, bleed for his team and was loved by his team.

It should be remembered that although Mick wasn't the shining light and was mainly a breaker up of play he still managed to score a considerable amount of goals for us during his career. He was someone who made the very best of his talent and in an oh so gracious and wonderful manner. The last time I saw him play was against the Arsenal in 77, I was 10, I made my dad wait outside the player's entrance to get some autographs, to his credit Mick signed all the programmes eagerly waiting to be signed with no problem whatsoever, it was just what a 10 year old expected.

The next time I was to meet this man was some 10 years later, I had dropped out of University as I thought I could make more and easier money selling Financial products, I worked for a company called Milldon at 83 Victoria Street (long since gone). This place was filled with the "Financial consultants" of the time who were just replacing Double Glazing salesmen and just before being repalced by Estate Agents!
    Needless to say there was alot of BS going around and with frankly, not the nicest of people. There was however one nice middle aged man who certainly didn't fit the normal bill - and it was Mick!

I was overwhelmed that this guy was working there and had the great luck of sitting opposite him for the 3 years. He was by far the most succesful of the salesmen -primarily because he was so loved and trusted by his fellow pros. I remember sitting in on a session he had with Dave Basset and he didn't even want to look at the forms he was signing - he had that much trust in Mick. Mick never abused this trust and always made sure to provide the right product even if it didn't have the better commision.

Mick Leach was as a "normal man" exactly how he had been on the pitch, loyal, steadfast, honest and hard working. He kept himself extremely fit by swimming most mornings and chastised me constantly for smoking (in the office) and giving up education. In between I always loved to hear the stories of my heroes being told by my hero. I was shocked when he told me that he hadn't been everyon'e cup of tea for a long time and that he used to get booed quite often. He was never bitter about this and was pleased to have won them over in the end.

Mick became ill in 1990, he treated this imposter in exactly the same way he had everything else, with style, humility and caring for others before himself. Mick Leach was a magnificent person whom I will never ever forget, on the contrary, just thinking about him makes me smile and reminds me of how I want to behave.

2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Danish, thanks for sharing this, brilliant. Mick Leach was one of those unspectacular (though he scored a few goals, remember one diving header in particular, no idea who against....may have been Liverpool) but utterly dependable blokes any decent squad relies on. I'm glad he lived up to my mental picture of him off the pitch as well.

RBLOCKPAT likes this.
  3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

To my amazement I was right, second goal of the greatest season for the Hoops

[video=youtube;ltI0BOdVQ04]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltI0BOdVQ04[/video]

4. danishqp

Top class, how we could do with just a little of that today.

5. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

That's a cracking story danish. What a great shame that he died so young ( 44 yrs old. )

RIP Mick

6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Mick scores an even better one here, and just look at the pace and intelligence for the third goal - remember Stan was in the wall for the Wolves free kick.

This is excellent therapy Danish, cheers.

[video=youtube;4BuwKtVD_Qs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BuwKtVD_Qs[/video]

7. BrixtonR

BrixtonR Well-Known Member

Mick Who?

THIS Danish is one of the very best and most moving posts I've ever read on here. A great read that so neatly and respectfully places the lid on the life of a not so great (at face value) player who held his own over many years playing alongside the greatest names of THE decade c. 68 - 77. He was the straight man whose honest graft made the room for the likes of Marsh, Bowles, Francis (G), Thomas, Bridges and a host of others to grab so many headline performances.

Micky Leach was happy to play wherever an array of top managers wanted him to (mostly no.8, inside right) - and often underlined his selfless efforts with a goal just when we needed one. He was the understated Jamie Mackie of his and my day - and his unfashionable name regularly found its way onto team sheets others in his 'quality' band couldn't have even dreamed of. I often heard away fans and Big Match viewers read through the listing and go Mick who? Happened throughout his career of over 300 games for Rangers scoring 60 odd goals.

Unlike your good self, no Rs fan had Micky down as their idol. To us impressionable youth he was just part of the furniture - and yet totally unforgettable at the same time. In fact, for any of us to have forgotten Mick would be akin to overlooking the wardrobe in your bedroom: a vital something you only notice when you need it most! Have to tell you your post made me well up, stop me day job and pitch in with my tuppence worth out of sheer respect for an unsung hero of a bygone age.

I knew that like Dave Clement, our Micky died young - but what I didn't know was how he'd lived in between time. You've just sorted that for which I thank you - but no surprises there. You've also just left me in no doubt that I'm an old bigot when it comes to judging 'finance' workers. I've always had them all down as total ****ers. You've now shown me a couple who were anything but! Cheers.

Right. Phew! Back to work...

danishqp likes this.
  8. BrixtonR

Can't wait till AAAAAGH sees this and Imaz. They'd remember Micky Leach fondly I'm sure.

9. danishqp

Thanx Brix, looking forward to a brighter future where the old codgers Can reminisce about which days were better. Could take a while though......

10. BrixtonR

The past is a different country. We all want a fantastic today - always.

11. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember Mick Leach and, whilst he wan't one of my heroes, I was always an admirer. He was an honest player, a trier and always made a valuable contribution: you got what it said on the tin. Great servant to the club. Thanks for prompting the memories and for adding the film clips.

12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

We'll get there. Us old codgers are the lucky ones, we have memories of a truly great team to fall back on in times of trouble. Respect to the whippersnappers who have come to the Rs in the last 15 years or so.

Lot of 70s nostalgia around now. Objectively they were crap years - stagflation, Northern Ireland descending into chaos, strikes, London a grey and filthy city etc etc. but I was in my teens and there was great music, some gorgeous girls at my school and QPR undoubtedly the sexiest club around. Brilliant.

Cue Roller......

13. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Yes, back in those days I really respected Mick Leach's attitude and perserverence, often an un-sung hero in games, a bit of a Jamie Mackie, a true servant of our club.

14. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Mick Leach was a great player, hard working and great at popping up late in the box and scoring as his goal home to Liverpool. Thanks for the post about him Danish. He was obviously as good a man as he was a player.

15. barley_hoop

barley_hoop Well-Known Member

Brilliant, thank you Danish, cheered me up in the present circumstances, I remember him scoring against Villa to clinch promotion to the old Division 1 and found this :

The Greatest Day in QPR History
    -
    May 11, 1968

While opinions might vary, arguably this was the greatest - and most momentous - day in QPR history: May 11, 1968, the day that "little" QPR won promotion to the First Division (as it was then called) opened up new vistas and a new horizon for a team that was historically "just" a little Third Division Team. To reach the First Division...The feeling for a QPR fan was truly incredible.

The history should be known to all QPR Fans: Promoted the previous season as Third Division Champions and League Cup Winners, QPR had previously spent only four seasons (1948-1952) in the Second Division. Only one other team in history had gone straight through from the Third to the First Division in successive seasons. Basically with a couple of additions and departures, this was the same team that got QPR promoted from the Third Division. Incoming: Ron Springett, Frank Clarke...Outgoing: Peter Springett, Mark Lazarus.

May 11, 1968, QPR travelled to Aston Villa, neck and neck with Blackpool chasing for promotion. (In an era, when there were two points for a win; there was goal aggregate (goals for divided by goals against) rather than goal difference; and only two teams were promoted - with no playoffs for the teams below). The Programme Mick Leach scored QPR's first. Eight Minutes from time, a Bradley Own goal put QPR 2-1 up and that was the final score. QPR promoted with a marginally better goal aggregate than Blackpool.

The QPR team on that day: Mike Kelly in goal. Allan Harris, Bobby Keetch, Tony Hazell and Ian Watson in defense
    Ian Morgan, Mike Keen Les Allen, Mick Leach
    Rodney Marsh, Frank Clarke

The 1967-1968 Season: If "1967" has become synonymous with QPR's Wembley Victory (and the Third Division Championship!) 1968 was in some ways even more beyond belief.
    Managed by Alec Stock...coached by Bill Dodgin...Captained by Mike Keen...Inspired by Rodney Marsh and Roger and Ian Morgan...

The 1967/1968 Players: Mark Lazarus started with QPR and moved on to Crystal Palace. Formre England Goalkeeper, Ron Springett had returned to QPR in a swop, in which his brother Peter Springett moved to Sheffield Wednesday. Alan Harris joined QPR. Rodney Marsh missed the start of the season with a broken foot, but ended the season as top goalscorer with 14 goals. Near the transfer deadline, Frank Clarke joined QPR from Shrewsbury (after QPR failed to sign John O'Rourke)
    Les Allen, Frank Clarke, Dave Clement, Alan Harris, Tony Hazell, Ron Hunt, Mike Keen, Bobby Keetch, Mick Leach, Rodney Marsh, Ian Morga, Roger Morgan, Keith Sanderson Also: Mark Lazarus, Bobby Finch, Backup goalie, Mike Kelly, Frank Sibley, Ian Watson, Alan Wilks. Ever presents: Mike Keen, Roger Morgan, Allan Harris.
    Leading Scorers: Rodney Marsh 14, Ian Morgan 10, Mick Leach 10, Roger Morgan 8, Les Allen 6, Mike Keen 6, Frank Clarke 3.
    And of course the season, when in the League Cup, Alan Wilks scored a record five goals in QPR's 5-1 win over Oxford United.

16. barley_hoop

barley_hoop Well-Known Member

MickLeach.jpg

Testimionial vs Red Star Belgrade

17. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Most of us guys from that era could name that 75-76 team without thinking, Mick was usually sub when everyone was fit but he made many appearances in many positions, as good a 'utility' player as you would ever get. Thanks for sharing the OP with us Danish, it's great to hear first-hand what a great bloke he was and what a tragedy he passed away so young...

18. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

I had two budgies, blue they were, a ninth birthday present, there names Rodney and Micky 1969

19. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great memories of a fine man.....there were often times when he was given alot of stick by the crowd...Mick was never the most "natural" of footballers, never the most comfortable with the ball at his feet......but by god did he work for the side....played in every position except in goal.....scored some really important goals.....and that one he scored at wolves that sb posted is one of the finest volleys you would ever see, which basically tells us that he was in fact a bloody good player.

Well done danish for posting this thread....nice change to have something positive to talk about.

20. Bush Rhino

Bush Rhino Well-Known Member

A Quality post, Thanks for sharing those memories.