1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Memories of the Lane

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

O
    OS, what's going to happen to the backroom staff while the new stadium is being built , doormen ,catering staff ect ?

2. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Was wallowing in nostalgia today and realised that:

1) I was at the 1st Premier League Match at WHL (Coventry Aug 1992)

2) I was at the last European match at WHL so saw Son score the last ever European goal there (Dortmund April 2016)

3) I was at the last NLD at the Lane so also saw Kane score the last penalty there (April 2017)

4) I was at the last FA Cup match at the Lane so saw Son score the last hattrick there (April 2017)

5) I was at the last ever game at WHL so saw Kane score our last ever goal there.

Am very lucky to have all these memories of the lane

Saw this on instagrm today so thought I'd share
    IMG_20170515_194916_170.jpg
    Coys

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  3. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Manager of the U21's

Would he accept?

Maybe the winger he suggests is no more than Poch has been looking for when he signed GKN .

4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

escaped being put in a wicker man at WHL this month and then
    burnt by the RDBD.

5. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Rocky blue army likes this.
  6. Wandering Yid

Wandering Yid Well-Known Member

A few that might have passed you by

7. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy has lavished praise on manager Mauricio Pochettino ahead of the final match at White Hart Lane.

The Argentine has returned Tottenham to the top table of English football and a point against Manchester United on Sunday would seal a second place finish in the Premier League, after a second successive year of Spurs challenging for the title.

It is far removed from the club's teams of recent decades that wallowed in mediocrity and struggled to emerge from the shadow of Arthur Rowe, Bill Nicholson and Keith Burkinshaw's trophy-winning sides.

However Levy believes that in Pochettino those days are returning.

"A win today would see us go unbeaten at the Lane all season. It could not be more appropriate that, in what is our last season here, we have seen entertaining, free-flowing football and a return to what has once again been called glory days, such has been the impact of Mauricio and his team of coaches and players. He has my utmost respect for what he has achieved," said Levy in his message to fans ahead of the Lane's final game.

please log in to view this image

Mauricio Pochettino was named the manager of the month for April (Photo: Ben Hoskins/Getty Images)
    "Ahead of the last home match of last season we were hoping to secure a Champion’s League place and finishing second was a target. Ahead of our last home match this season we have already secured Champion's League qualification and we are in second place, which would be a record Premier League position finish. For the second season running we have created a title race.

"We have seen the team already equal our highest points tally ever, as well as achieve our highest goal tally and what is likely to be fewest goals conceded in a Premier League season. Four of our players featured in the PFA team of the year again and we had the PFA Young Player of the Year winner for the fifth time in six years."

As Barcelona, PSG and Inter circle Mauricio Pochettino says what all Spurs fans want to hear
    On the Lane itself he added: "I have been coming to the Lane for over 50 years and many of you for much longer. It holds memories for us all. So we should take a moment to look around and recognise the momentous and poignant occasion of which we are now part.

"The Lane been home to some of the most amazing moments in the history of not just our Club but in the history of football.

"It is a humbling occasion too - this Club and this stadium have been here longer than any of us and the Club and new stadium will be here long after us all - we are merely the custodians of this great institution. It's our turn to look after it, grow it and support it."

White Hart Lane's final chapter has almost been written
    Levy also paid tribute to the supporters for their part in this season's unbeaten run at White Hart Lane.

"The Lane has rocked this season - your support has been immense and I know it has made a difference. Next season we shall play at Wembley and I know you will all help make that a home from home and the fortress that the Lane has been," he said.

"The necessary move away for a season means that we can return as a Club with a stadium and Training Centre facilities among the best in the world.

"Success cannot be sustained on assets and financing alone - it will take the teamwork of us all - fans, players, coaches, directors, staff - this is THE team - and I want to thank each and every one of you for your support as we enter the biggest period of change in the Club's history when we start the demolition of the stadium tomorrow.

"Farewell White Hart Lane - you were the home we all loved coming to. Thanks for the memories. Now is the time to look forward. I am so proud to be the Chairman of our great Club."

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Like RCL, I've also been remembering some great moments/ players.

Seeing Robinson score against Watford.
    Ledley's testimonial.
    The Didier Zokora match-winning dances. Another Zokora moment in which he and Chimbonda acted as big brothers to Aaron Lennon. George Boateng of Boro squared up to Azza, so Chimbonda grabbed Boateng's arms while Zokora gave a sly uppercut to Boateng's ribs - Think Zokora got sent off for it <laugh>.
    The Berbatov-Keane partnership which was most definitely telepathic.
    Harry Kane's debut against Hearts and thinking "he looked decent but a shame he missed the pen!". Never imagined him to become the player he has though.
    Keano's cartwheel celebrations.
    Kane going in goal in the Europa match after scoring a hat trick.
    Lamela's Rabona.
    When Keane was on loan at West Ham and they got relegated, guys in the crowd had a banner that said "Agent Keane, your mission is complete, return to base!"
    The "taxi for Maicon" chants after Bale had roasted him numerous times.
    Getting Birmingham fans after we'd just relegated them to join in with chants of "Thursday nights, channel 5!" as we'd both secured UEFA Cup football for the following season (they beat Arsenal in the League Cup).

9. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Is this something unique to Spurs?

Even players who featured for us minimally and barely spark a flicker of memory in the average fan (Mido) seem to have nothing but adoration for our club.

It struck me when Berbatov walked out on Sunday. Despite only spending 2 seasons at the Lane and acting like a complete arse when he left, he seemed genuinely emotional at the occasion. Were they tears of regret perhaps? Was he reflecting on the 'dream move' to united that ended up confining him to the bench only to slink off a few years later into relative obscurity? Was he thinking 'if only I'd known I could've had Bale, Modric and VDV feeding me up front'?

A few people have mentioned that the club genuinely feels like one big (albeit dysfunctional) family. I think the players pick up on that and come to realise that they have and will never play at a club that feels so much like home.

We are a massive club, but small enough to still feel tightly knit. We have respected heritage by committing our future to the same location that we were created in. We have achieved success through perserverance and hard graft, and so our fan base is very much of the lifelong, non-plastic variety.

I am over the moon that we're now big enough and strong enough to take he next step. But I hope to goodness we remain the closest thing to family our players can have. That, more than money and to a degree more than trophies, is why players are more than happy to stay.

10. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Gets to the point where you notice those that don't say anything. Lennon (understandably), Carrick, Kyle Walker (<grr>)

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I know being a Spurs fan makes me bias but I do feel there's just something special about our club that makes players generally seem to really adore it.

I think we as fans are brilliant and play a big part in that, we tend to always support players regardless of form as long as they show they're giving 100% (Soldado, Janssen, Holtby) while those who obviously excel become somewhat gods amongst men (King, Berba, Keane, Defoe, Bale, Modric, Rafa, Kane, Alli etc).

Even though Mido's time here was short, it was actually his longest stint at a club in terms of games played! And in his first season on loan from Roma, he was quality! I think for probably the first and only time in his career, he genuinely felt important and wanted.

Berbatov had a great time here, he established himself as one of the very best strikers in Europe, built up an incredible partnership with Keano and also won a trophy. He left on a sour note and even though he was in and out of the Utd side, he did win a few trophies so for him his move was probably justified but I don't think he actually had any feelings towards Utd, similar to Teddy, it was purely just to say "hey, I've won these..." on his CV. At Spurs he knew he was loved and I think when you leave that sort of affection, knowing you were a big fish in a small pond to then become just a number elsewhere, you realise and appreciate that even though his Spurs career wasn't trophy laden, it was still special.

12. Citizen Kane

Based on various interviews I've read from him down the line, I don't think he particularly enjoyed his time at United. Had an uneasy relationship with Bacon face and their fans never quite took to him. They much prefer players who charge down the referee, screaming and frothing at the mouth in mock fury.

13. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

14. Citizen Kane

15. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

He was on Goals On Sunday recently and he spoke far more fondly about his days at Spurs than he did about his time at United.

Also, he was clearly very moved by the occasion on Sunday.

16. Here's one for you, OS :emoticon-0148-yes:
    IMG_0402.JPG

17. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

There should be another group of Ramos, AVB, Gilet Tim and Santini. I'd print it off to throw stuff at.

The Changing Man likes this.
  18. A good dartboard - or toilet roll perhaps <laugh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  19. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I hope they took care moving Bill Nick's ashes beforehand

20. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I have a soft spot for Ramos...
    Winning away v city with 10 men in the quarter finals of Carling Cup
    The 5-1 v Goons in the Semi Final
    The Final win coming from a goal down
    The 4-4 draw v Chelsea after being 1 down, then 3-1 down.
    The 6-4 win over Reading after being 2-1 down, 3-2 down and 4-3 down.
    True ... there was NOTHING after the Cup win but although March to October was an unmitigated disaster I still remember those things fondly.
    But I have nothing good to say about the others.

deedub93 and PleaseNotPoll like this.