1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Meet "The President"

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Dec 27, 2016.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

So Karl Robinson says that he is off to Belgium today with his skipper (who should be recovering from his injury surely?) and his staff to "meet the President" and discuss transfer targets.

A slip of the tongue, or a public attempt to ingratiate himself with the old twat?

Either way, it is a badly judged comment which will backfire.

For starters, Robinson is hugely underbidding if he really is only asking the President for 2/3 players in January. We need 5/6 - and not just squad players either - players who can go straight into the first team and make a difference.

6 of Ricky Holmes standard, rather than Kevin Foley standard.

I can't believe that Robinson is that thick that he didn't calibrate this comment before making it publicly. Bid low - and then look like you got what you wanted when you get only two new players.

I would also add that I hope the rumours about us getting 2 MK Dons players are not true - they have got 24 points for a reason and don't have a single player that would make even our team look better.

We also need a striker - Magennis has started to flag in the last two weeks and if he gets injured that leaves us with err... Hanlon and Ajose up front.

"The President" my arse !

Ken Shabby likes this.
  2. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

Ben Reeves would make our team better and Dean Bowditch. We need a winger, two central midfielders, goalkeeper, right back, left back and a forward. We need to clear away some of the chaff, Vetokele is going to St Truiden on loan, we need to sell Watt, Sarr, Ceballos and Ba. Foley shouldn't have his contract renewed. Roger Johnson should be let go. If we get an offer for Morgan Fox we should bite their hands off.
    I also think if we can get Kashi, Solly and Holmes fit it should make a difference.

Talal El, Ken Shabby and The Kish like this.
  3. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

any news on the last 3? when are they back?

4. User deleted as requested

I see the habitual delusionists on another site are claiming "we are only 6 points off the play off spots" <laugh>

In reality, we are absolutely miles away. It is literally an impossibility for this group of players to go on the sort of run that would get us into the play offs - they are simply not good enough. I can see us going on an unbeaten run of 6 consecutive draws, but not much else.

@DickPlumb - I agree with you about Holmes, but Solly and Kashi ? Both plagued by long term injuries, and very unlikely to enjoy sustained runs in our team. Igor must have a fatter arse than ever if St Truiden is all he can get now.

5. DickPlumb

That is why I said IF we can get them fit.

6. User deleted as requested

Foley's 5 month contract expires in January. Given that he has been about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike, why bother extending it? Another urgent priority must be getting full back cover in to replace Fox.

@DickPlumb

In terms of urgency, I would personally prioritise the transfers as follows:

1. Two central midfielders
    2. Full back [Fox]
    3. A centre forward to help Magennis
    4. A winger

7. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

Why is it important for him to watch a **** Belgian match? Why can't he have a conference call with the president?

8. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

hopefully jacko's going in a trojan horse.

9. User deleted as requested

I'm sure JJ went off with cramp yesterday. Either way, he looked a sorry sight on hobbling away after 60 mins, another game having completely passed him by. He is the tip of the iceberg in terms of our problems, but I hope for his own sake he retires at the end of this season.

10. DickPlumb

Ceballos plays for St Truiden. There is our number ten, simples. Lookman has definitely gone, Red Henry said it was done weeks ago. It is nowhere near the 10 Million quoted. He says rising to 5.7 million.

11. User deleted as requested

Ceballos was tried before, and wasn't up to it. Slade said on his departure that he probably needed to play in a less physical league in Europe.

Colin is claiming that the Lookman fee is 10m, so we can safely cross a nought off then.

12. DickPlumb

It was in the Sun so it must be correct. The figure quoted by someone at the Club was a total of 5.7 million after all the add ons. Am I being cynical in believing the reason that Robinson has gone over to STTV versus Standard Liege is to look at the players available to bring in on loan.

13. User deleted as requested

When Meire does the negotiating, the "add ons" are dependant on getting 100 England caps and winning the Champions League.

Jordan Ibe is a promising young winger of raw potential and not much else - he went from Liverpool to Bournemouth for £15,000,000.

14. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

19 year old Oliver Burke joined RB Leipzig (from Nottingham Forest) last summer for £13m

15. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Ibe had Premiership and European experience. Also a regular in the under 21's. I think B'mouth overpaid, but not sure you can couple him with Lookman.

16. User deleted as requested

I think Robinson's trip to Belgium to meet "the Prez" proves once and for all that Meire really is nothing more than a piece of tinsel.

At any other club the manager would discuss player signings with the CEO. Why is a grandstanding and well publicised trip to the Belgian motherland necessary? Robinson is also being incredibly unambitious in what he appears to be publicly asking for.

17. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

The Honorary Life President of CAFC is Sir Maurice Hatter.... why go to Belgium to meet him?

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  18. User deleted as requested

Rich Cawley [Lord Haw Haw] reporting that the Lookman to Everton deal is done <applause>

19. Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski Well-Known Member

So £6million made, were going to spend £100,000 on a defender and have two loans. That'll be our three players.

He'll make a net profit of £5,900,000 and say we've got no money for a transfer budget. Probably spend that money acquiring another club in Europe or bolstering Upjest or someone else...

I detest that principle.

20. User deleted as requested

But don't forget Rich told us weeks ago that Meire was "fighting hard" to bring Lookman back on loan <cheers>