1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

McClaren's Train Has Arrived

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

The BBC have annound that Derby have sacked Steve McClaren. After appointing him only last October.

upload_2017-3-12_20-33-11.jpeg

Won't be so petty as to say just deserts after his tapping of "Chrissy". However, wonder where that leaves Martin? Very much doubt we'll take up the option, which still stands, to sign him in the summer and goodness knows how the new Derby man will view the inflated contract he signed with Derby in January, thanks to McClaren.

In the short term though, what will this news do while he's with us. Another sulk .. if he's not already on one?

PS Bit sorry for Chris Powell who has been given the boot as well.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

After Chrexit, it's hard to have much sympathy for him. He has really jerked Martin around.

Not sure where the wally goes now - he's a terrible pundit too.

3. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

If ever there was a time for Jokanovic to have a heart to heart with Martin its now! I am not impressed with his behaviour but we may well need him.

Cravingawin and Cottager58 like this.
  4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I'm not that keen on the idea of keeping Martin next season, even if he puts in a decent shift between now and then. I think he's shown his true colours and he's just not he kind of character we want in the squad. For all the criticisms of McCormack, he always delivered (apart from the first few weeks of every season, when he wasn't match fit yet). The good thing is that if Derby might not be so keen, it gives Martin a reason to try to impress for us - even if Jokanovic doesn't want to keep him, he might catch some other manager's eye.

5. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

The other point is that if the new man at Derby doesn't fancy Martin we might be able to renegotiate the fee we would be charged to keep him. I wouldn't be against him staying if he cost us considerably less than the current deal requires and then we are able to bring in another good striker so we add a bit of depth and competition to the position.

6. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I suppose some team in China or Abu-Dhabi might go for McClaren
    We have Martin till the end of the season so might as well use him the best we can, but recently again his effort is below par for someone who has a reputation as a top scorer. For me he lacks height and speed, but is good at instinctive shooting and his reputation keeps CB occupied for others to exploit.
    I don't think I'd buy him as he has shown no loyalty to us, if he is not the first choice could cause problems and I think we could be better off getting an upgrade on him.

Captain Morgan likes this.
  7. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I suspect we'll go for Enrich or someone like him in the summer. Martin was something of a stopgap and his actions have not helped him make a good impression. The balance in our dressing room is the key to our current form, so I'd be hesitant to bring in someone with Martin's reputation given another option.

Any way, this thread is about McClaren. I can see him going to China/UAE or I can see him as an assistant manager to a former player making the manager transition (e.g. Gary Neville, Steven Gerrard etc.)

8. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

I don't think Derby were chuff chuffed with his results!

9. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

The downside is that we'll now have two away matches in April against sides with a new manager - Derby on the 4th and Norwich on te 14th.