1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Thread: Leeds United v Watford

Discussion in 'Watford' started by geitungur akureyrar, Apr 13, 2011.

1. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

The Match Thread
    Leeds United 2 v 2 Watford
    Luciano Becchio - goal 72.min 1:0
    Lee Hodson - goal 78.min 1:1
    Andreas Weimann - goal 87.min 1:2
    Troy Deeney - own goal 88.min 2:2

United welcome the Hornets and the 6th team plays the 12th. The travelling folk of Hertfordshire are travelling up the motorway again, this journey takes them to West Yorkshire.

Leeds United

1271fullimage.jpg

• The Manager – Simon Grayson

SimonGrayson_2301965.jpg

“It was hugely disappointing. It was a game there for us to win because they are down on confidence and hadn't been winning - and we should have done because it was there for the taking if we'd have taken it by the scruff of the neck”

“We were passing it pretty instead of showing the nous to kill them off by getting them turned straight from the kick-off. We gave it away four or five times in the midfield area. That's know-how and seeing stages through. The crowd would have turned on them and got frustrated, but we gave them encouragement. The goal lifted them, we switched off for the second one and it's driving me mad. It epitomised both our games against Derby. We were trying to play through teams, you have to mix it up, go long, squeeze them. It's about being ruthless. If we'd done that we would have scored a couple more.”

• The Peacocks

Kasper Schmeichel
    Eric Lichaj
    Andrew O’Brien
    George McCartney
    Leigh Bromby
    Jonathan Howson
    Max-Alein Gradel
    Bradley Johnson - caution 60.min
    Ross McCormack for Luciano Becchio - goal 72.min - 84.min for Neil Kilkenny - 56.min
    Barry Bannan for Davide Somma - 69.min
    Robert Snodgrass

Substitutes:
    Shane Higgs
    Richard Naylor
    Paul Connolly
    Jake Livermore

• The Fan – Borehamwoodwhite

Has a club ever had back to back promotions from League One to the Premier League. If they have, there can't be many of them!
    So, how on earth can so called Leeds fans be disappointed with our season and calling for Grayson to be sacked?

Update on the Leeds’ latest statistics

WATFORD

48953369.jpg

• The Manager - Malky Mackay

book_club_malky_150_150x190.jpg

“The start was disappointing for us because we'd spoken about starting on solid foundations after Saturday, so we shot ourselves in the foot there
    , but I have to say the way the players responded - particularly some of the younger ones in the side - to coming from behind against a side who are flying in the division, was great credit indeed to them."
    "We showed real character and resilience to get through the tough patches of that second half and showed ourselves to be a match for one of the best sides in this division”.

• The Hornets

Scott Loach
    Lee Hodson - goal 78.min
    Adrain Mariappa
    Lloyd Doyley
    Martin Taylor
    Danny Drinkwater for Ross Jenkins - 32.min
    Don Cowie
    John Eustace
    Andreas Weimann - goal 87.min for Marvin Sordell 67.min
    Troy Deeney - own goal 88.min
    Piero Mingoia for Danny Graham - 89.min

Substitutes:
    Jonathan Bond
    Dale Bennett
    Matthew Whichelow
    Will Buckley

• The Fan – northofwatfordpete

I believe that the state of the pitch is costing us every season. I know not everyone agrees but preparing a pitch for two codes, rugby and football and the consequence of overuse during the winter months is the root (no pun intended) of the problem. I don't care how much money Saracens contribute as it will never be enough to compensate for the damage to the pitch caused by too many games being played on, an essentially grass pitch, during the dormant season.

Who will win?

Current form
    A draw on Tuesday makes Watford the form team since last weekend. They have won three and lost three of their last eight matches, marking twelve and losing nine goals. The are starting slowly and have conceded two goals in the first three minutes in the last two games. Leeds on the other side are three wins and four defeats in the last eight. 14 goals marked and 11 lost. The low point was the defeat in Sheffield.

Akureyri's Prediction: 0-2 Current form will almost go out of the window and Watford will return home with the points.
    There is a history

The last match: Watford 0 – Leeds United 1: Richard Naylor shot the only goal at 6.min. to give Leeds the win. Both teams had opportunities but the other 26 shots made nothing more. In a very close match with the highest foul count this season, and Watford did most of them 18 against 17.

Further into the past: The Whites have only ever hosted the Yellows seven times. There have been four wins for the locals and two for the visitors. The first meeting of the two teams was not until 1984 when Watford won in Leeds by 0-4, their best score against United anywhere. Leeds Uniteds best was a 3-1 success in the only Premiership match played in Leeds between the two clubs

On My Radio: If you cannot get to the game, BBC Radio 5live and BBC Radio Leeds will cover the game.

skál/skål/cheers/salut

Don't forget
    The Hornet's Nest on the BBC’s 606 or not606
    Drop in for some match chat.
    Travellers may want some information about
    Leeds.

2. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Excellent Ak, thank you :). i was going to this game til a friend decided to hold his 50th birthday party on Saturday night...darn selfish if you ask me! ;).

3. geitungur akureyrar

geitungur akureyrar Well-Known Member

I am experementing with the size of the text as the Hull City fans were complaining it was big for their eyes.

4. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

Really? How can a font be too big for eyes? That's strange! lol

5. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

Either way, it's an excellent post :)

6. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Nice one as Ever Ak<ok>

7. Sir_Luther_Blissett

Hi ak :).

FWIW, I think this is a better look <ok>.

8. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

Great stuff AK - 5*'s as ever....I cannot make it as I have another late Friday night and out on the lash Saturday night.

I might as well go for a 3-1 Watford win with the dirties scoring first...I've been wrong most of the season so I might as well continue on as usual

9. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Hoping for 1-1

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

2-0 to us

11. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

A hat trick for DG to bring up his 30 for the season. I suspect that Leeds will sneak one though.

View attachment 2040

12. Northolt-QPR

Northolt-QPR Active Member

Morning ak and all;)
    After Norwich, Leeds away, doesn't get any easier does it!

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

We have nothing to fear but fear itself :)

14. Dyches Beard

Dyches Beard Member

2-1 to Watford, with Leeds scoring in the first 30 seconds, then Danny Graham getting 2 in the second half <ok> COYH

15. Sir_Luther_Blissett

Just noticed this in the thread above...

Borehamwoodwhite writes:

Ahem!!! You're playing one!

And what's he doing supporting Leeds from Borehamwood? Surely there's a decent local side <whistle> ?

16. Elixir69

Elixir69 Member

SLB you stole my thunder - Borehamwood WD6 doesn't know a club with back to back promotions!!!!!!!! Next the person (?) Will be saying they've never heard of Graham Taylor.

OK back to the thread, my Pikey Leeds mate has gone off Grayson accusing him of picking the wrong team ...... Oh the luxury of having choices! When you look at our bench you will see what a miracle Malky is working, he has got a disparate bunch of players who (on paper) might struggle in Div 3 to comfortable mid table. He has achieved safety well before the end of this season despite ALL the pundits writing us off.

However I have recently thought we look as if we have almost run out of legs, hardly surprising really so I would gladly take a point. That would really upset the locals who apparently WOT as they seem to like to do everything "together".

I confess I don't like Leeds, this goes back to the 1970's and the Don Revie factor - people seem to forget he walked out on England for dirty money and sold the exclusive story to Jeff Powell (probably Watford's biggest critic). So I don't want to see them repeating GT's trick of double promotion - oh that night in Birmingham (9-8 on pens).

COYH denying Dirty Leeds (again) would be ever so sweet. And don't mention Beckford!

17. Elixir69

Elixir69 Member

OK I've cleared my throat now, time to concentrate on the footy. I believe John Eustace will be suspended on Saturday as the April amnesty is only for 5 bookings, I think 10 bookings carries a 1 match ban.

Without Eustace and his calming influence, I presume Malky will call upon Drinkwater. I don't mean to be cruel, but it says he is a Man U player. Cor blimey SAF must have had his eyes closed the day he signed a pro contract.

I will take a point now.

18. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

i am 99% certain that Eustace will be able to play on Saturday and for that, and many other reasons, i'm sure we're going to win :)...3-1, with Doyley nicking one ;)

19. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

:smiley-finger007:If Doyley nicks one I will promise to say something nice to Mrs SLB about her (unmentionable) team

20. Hornette_TID

Forum Moderator

Nooo, never say anything nice about that team! lol