1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Martin Peters

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by ilovedelia, Mar 13, 2013.

1. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

I have been having a bit of a clear out in the loft and came across a box full of old magazines, they can go in the recycling I said to Mrs D.
    She flicked through them and came up with "Martin Peters Testimonial Souvenir Match Program" Yes that is the title, 40p it cost, the match was played at Carrow Road on 18th October 1978, the opposition the England 1966 World Cup Squad. Did anyone else go to the game?
    City team was: KEELAN, K Bond, C Sullivan, J Ryan, P Hoadley, T Powell, J Neighbor, K Reeves, M Chivers, K Robson, D Robb, G Paddon, M McGuire, P Mendham, I Davis, M Nightingale.

England team: R Springett, J Armfield, N Hunter, N Stiles, J Charlton, B Moore, A Ball, R Hunt, B Charlton, G Hurst, M Peters, J Greaves.

Ref: Alf Grey from Gorleston.

Some names to conjure with there!

2. Northamptonncfc

Northamptonncfc Well-Known Member

No don't send them away for recycling! They are classics keep them safe! Mine and Yellowlittles Dad has saved up all the programmes over the years I think since the 60's or so when he was a kid. Don't think he would of attended the game as he had moved to the Midlands by then but a lot of the names on the City team sheet ring a bell Graham Paddon, Keelan, Bond, Jimmy Neighbor etc. I remember Peter Mendham from the 80's isn't he doing time in prison?

3. THURNBY CANARY

THURNBY CANARY Active Member

It is wonderful reflecting on old programmes. My favourites going back a few years now are the two away programmes from Leeds and Liverpool (when Leeds were a really top side) and we won both 0 - 3 and 1 - 3 and the Christmas one from Highfield Road where we lost 5-4, John Ryan missing a last gasp penalty for 5-5 (some things never change!). In the pile is also 3 - 3 from Carrow Road where we came back from 0 - 3 to draw with Forest (who went on to win the title that year) and finally the 3 - 2 win against koo pee arrrr when Liverpool took the title on the last day of the season, again back in the 70's. Great memories all and the programmes were decently priced, unlike today.

4. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I was there ILD and I've still got the programme too, here's the image

please log in to view this image

I seem to recall there was a large crowd that night as well, although I've been unable to find the exact figure on the web <ok>

5. ilovedelia

That's the one KIO, doesn't that shirt he's wearing look vaugely familiar???
    Can you remember if there was a result, cause I can't for the life of me remember!

6. ilovedelia

Had a poke around the world wide interweb, and found out the score was 4-2, attendance approx 18000, which as it said was massive at the time when we were struggling to get 15000 for a top flight game! How times have changed?

7. surgeryman

surgeryman Active Member

I was there.

8. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

It was a sad reflection of the the times indeed. Top flight year after year with most gates barely going over 16,000 and room to move around in the Barclay! The club was family friendly at the time, however football in general was not. Thankfully the "terrace action" has firmly taken a back seat and stadiums are filled to better %ages than those days (unless you are Ipswich Town <laugh>)

9. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Sometimes we look back on the old days through rose tinted specs and forget about all the bad things wrong with football way back then.

Good:

Terracing
    More of a 'connection' with the players, no stupid salaries.
    Half-time Bovril
    Cheap prices (queueing up at the turnstiles and paying a minimal entrance fee)
    Getting a 'transfer' to the South stand from the River End to get a better view ;)
    No diving
    Fisticuffs after a really bad tackle with no-one getting sent off <laugh>
    Only one substitute, so many a time an outfield player would end up 'in goal' (how I miss that :emoticon-0102-bigsm)
    Real 'entertainers' who you would look forward to coming to Carrow Road
    (i.e. Frank Worthington, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh, Alan Hudson to name a few)

Bad:

Hooliganism
    No roof on the River End
    'Food' (I use the term loosely) at the Ground
    Pissing up against a green slimey wall at half-time
    Someone chain smoking in front of you
    State of the pitches (remember Derby's back then ? There was literally no grass during the winter months and was a complete mud bath !

Anymore 'Good' and 'Bad' from anyone ?

10. ThaiCanary

I might be wrong but I don't think the programs were full of adverts as they are now?
    Club shop was in the city, not at the ground - just off Prince of Wales (King Street) I think and was incredibly small.

11. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Do you recall that with every matchday programme you would get a glossy 'football league review' magazine ?

.......and what about the spivs outside the ground at the big games selling dodgy souvenier programmes <laugh>

12. ThaiCanary

I have seen these but never with a NCFC programme, must have been before the time I started buying them which was the early 80's

13. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Good: Rossettes, Rattles, being able to stand wherever you want (within reason), no diving, cheating, feigning injury and generally poncing about, replica shirts that you didn't have to mortgage your grannies retirement home for, seeing some legends of the game and some of the renowned hard-men and cloggers, the old fellas walking round the ground with the golden goal times on a chalk-board, the half-time scores with numerals attached to an alphbetical key, Dumpling and Canary.

Bad The toilets (if you can call them that), getting pelted with coins by Binners and QPR fans (they hated us even then), getting crushed on occassions, getting soaked in the River End whenever I went in there although I usually went into the Barclay or Jarrold.

14. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

They were actually a freebie stapled inside the programme in the '70's Thai <ok>

Note the price ! ;)

15. ThaiCanary

I got that when we played Doncaster Rovers in the FA Cup! The first and only time I got hit by a coin - scummy South Yorkshire bastards :mad:

16. WareCanary

WareCanary Active Member

Also good for me in the "olden days" was the buzz in the Barclay End, with a lot more singing than seems to go on now. (I'm just a Jarrold boot, well comfortable slip-on, old boy now.)

Another strong positive from the past was going with my Dad, but I'm sure that applies equally now to the current generation.

17. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

Yeah - when I went with my dad we always stood in the Jarrold but if I went on my own I stood in the Barclay although occassionally I'd go to the River End, especially if the visitors fans had a "hooligan" tagged attached to them - in those days it was Man Utd, West Ham, QPR and Chelsea who caused most "bovver".

Now I'm older it's the genteel surroundings of the Jarrold for me, but I do miss the buzz of the old Barclay when it was full and standing - great days.

18. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

You forgot Millwall ;)

Was anyone else on here at the Manure match when they wrecked the barclay stand back in the 70's and it made national TV coverage ?

19. WareCanary

WareCanary Active Member

Yes, I remember being surrounded by Man U fans IN the Barclay! And, as someone mentioned before, the persistent clinking of coins as they (nearly all) hit the wire mesh separating the fans - not good.

Ironically though, the worst moment I ever had was when leaving a match vs Sunderland in the vicinity of several opposition fans (wasn't the "Roker Roar" great?) and being pelted by a hail of half-bricks being lobbed over a wall....by Norwich bovver boys!

Bottom line - overall I think things are a whole lot better now!

20. WareCanary

WareCanary Active Member

Yes, I remember being surrounded by Man U fans IN the Barclay! And, as someone mentioned before, the persistent clinking of coins as they (nearly all) hit the wire mesh separating the fans - not good.

Ironically though, the worst moment I ever had was when leaving a match vs Sunderland in the vicinity of several opposition fans (wasn't the "Roker Roar" great?) and being pelted by a hail of half-bricks being lobbed over a wall....by Norwich bovver boys!

Bottom line - overall I think things are a whole lot better now!