1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United v. Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

upload_2017-4-24_13-0-36.png Manchester United v Swansea City upload_2017-4-24_13-0-36.png

Barclays Premier League
    Date - Sunday 30 April 2017
    Kick off - 12:00
    Venue - Old Trafford

Following their much needed "must win" 2-0 victory over Stoke City, Paul Clement's team next travel to Old Trafford to face Jose Mourinho's Man United.

In the period since the Swans beat Stoke, United will have played 2 matches - Burnley away, which they won fairly comfortably, and the Manchester derby on the Thursday before the Swans' match.

Should Utd lose to City, then all hope of a Top 4 finish will have disappeared, meaning that United's only route into next seasons's Champions League competition will be through winning the Europa League.

United are scheduled to play Celta Vigo just 4 days after the Swans match. Additionally, United have a number of injured players, eg Ibrahimovic & Rojo are both out for the season, with others carrying injuries.

Will the combination of these issues "force" Mourinho to "rest/save" some of his important players for the Celta Vigo match?

Whatever side Mourinho selects, Clement will need to ensure that his players get into the faces of United and try and win the game - sitting back hoping for a point will be an accident waiting to happen.

The best way for the Swans to preserve their PL status is by winning each of their remaining fixtures. Yes, a tall order - a very tall order, but as things stand it is something that the Swans may have to achieve.

It's often said that "fortune favours the brave." Well, Mr. Clements, it's time to be brave.

For me, if the Swans adopt a positive attitude, they can and will get something out of Sunday's match. If we go there to defend, then regardless of the team Mourinho selects, United will win.

Let's hope for a repeat of this:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  2. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

A draw would be a fabulous result up there. I think Clement won't be brave but will set us up to keep it tight and maybe get a late breakaway. Hopeful of a win but 0-0 for me.

By the way, looking at those Cup goals again makes me realise how far we've fallen. I used to enjoy watching us.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  3. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Win this one and I think we will stay up , pretty big ask though .... and our best chance is with Britton playing and inspiring imo

4. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Given the current injury issues that Manu have, I'd go for the win, but I know Clement will not do that, he's so cautious that Sousa would be proud of him, we need to win 3 of our last 4, and that for me is a big ask given the way clement sets us up, and even after the way Leon played against stoke, it wouldn't surprise me if he drops him for this game, even though he put in a MOM shift.

All I'm asking is that Clement plays Leon in the middle, plays Siggy in his natural position and not on the wing, and continue to give Kingsley more game time, to push Mawson, and please lets give Baston some pitch time, his confidence must be rock bottom...........<ok>

5. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

At present we can get a point, however, if Utd pick up a few more key injuries to go with the ones they already have, 3 points is not impossible if we play like we did Saturday.

A point would be bloody huge and keeps the momentum going.

6. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

1-1 Swans take a lead and Utd get a cruel 89th minute equaliser

7. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Oh really cheer me up, my heart couldn't take that, especially after the bloody Spurs game.

8. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Ok Utd take the lead and Swans equalise in the 89th minute after a wonderful 31 pass move <cheers>

neveroffsidereff and aswan_dam like this.
  9. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

As a rash prediction, I'm going to give Hull another 4 points for the season taking them to 37 points.

To pip them on goal difference, we need 6 points so that's 2 wins and 2 defeats. The two home games will be our best chance of wins with the the Sunderland away game as a back-up.

I'm expecting both Swansea and Hull to lose this weekend but anything we can get at Old Trafford is an added bonus. Time to park the bus?

If it comes down to goal difference on the last day, it's important we don't lose by more than one goal at OT.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  10. aswan_dam

Ideally, we need Spurs to be still in with a shout of the league title on the last day so they give it their all at Hull. Otherwise, they could field the reserves as it won't make any difference. :emoticon-0101-sadsm

11. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Could do with you guys picking up a point or 3 in this game please. Uniteds home form has been iffy as they like us aren't great when teams come and sit back and by sounds of it that's what Clement has you doing so might be your best chance.

Open up and have a go and Rashford, Lingard and Martial may exploit that space with their pace.

With them playing Thursday at City and following Thursday in EL they may prioritise that game so could be a weaker united team

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  12. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

That's better!!:)

Rhodthesod likes this.
  13. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

MAN U are going for their 24 straight Premier League game without defeat .\
    Fab
    Naughton Fernadez , Mawson , Olsson
    Ayew , Britton , Siggy , Carroll , Narsingh
    Llorenete

DragonPhilljack and Rhodthesod like this.
  14. Rhodthesod

Rhodthesod Well-Known Member

We can do it! They need to have a bad day and we have to play like we care, like against Liverpool away etc

seabreeze likes this.
  15. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

swansea lose to manure
    beat everton
    draw sunderland
    beat west brom = 38

hull city
    lose southampton
    beat sunderland
    lose palace
    draw spurs = 37

even if we draw at southampton or palace we will go down on Goal difference

we need two wins or we are down and i honestly can't see them, we are utterly clueless away
    unfortunately

that's my predictions

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  16. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

we need two wins or we are down 100%
    i fully expect you to beat both everton and west brom
    sunderland away.. 50/50

even if we get two wins that takes us to 39 and if you get 3 wins you relegate us on goal difference
    this is 100% going to the last game of the season
    i wish ****ing burnley would **** off

we concede around 3 goals every away game
    even beating spurs might not be enough
    you are my favourites to stay up by far

17. aswan_dam

Can't say I'm particularly confident of beating Everton at all. But I think we will have to.

London_Jack and DragonPhilljack like this.
  18. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Hull have been on a good run, they are now due a slump, which is what I'm counting on, otherwise they have the advantage, looking at their game this week, I see the Saints winning, let's hope we can take advantage of that........... <ok>

19. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

That's a very attacking lineup and if Linegard, Martial and Rashford all play they have the pace to rip us.

20. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don't buy the line that because Man U are missing players they are weakened to the extent they are beatable. Even their second string is a very decent side and they are streets ahead of us on ability. The table doesn't lie.

But can we get something? Of course. I wouldn't complain one jot if it's a park-the-bus, boring 0-0.