1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Manchester United v Feyenoord

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Lest we forget, we've the small matter of this epic European encounter this coming Thursday and the penny has now dropped as to why the West Ham game is at 16.30 on Sunday without being live, much to my very own inconvenience.

I can't recall any other european ties this week involving premier league sides so this is a must see.

This tie will show us Jose's real intention on this competition. If we play to win we can assume he and the club want to stay in it. I suspect that won't be the case and he'd as soon we get knocked out and don't have this 'chore' in the new year.

I, for one, will be going to the pub for this one.

I don't have an interesting fact other than to say I have been to Feyenoord's stadium but never seen Feyenoord play.

2. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Seeing as Treb Stan Custard etc have given up on you I will keep you company.

Fantastic stadium great atmos were you there for Hughes v Barcelona? How many UNited fans made the trip?

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It seemed like the whole of Amsterdam were United fans so a lot.

Pre mobile phones, bumping into school mates then spending the next five days with them, was a truly superb trip. Was there six days, will never forget it!

Great times. A 'minor' European trophy that kick started an era? There's an idea! received_10154441301173564.jpeg

That's in Rotterdam. Sent to me be said old school mate.

Guess the Chief!

Treble likes this.
  4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

The only time I saw The Inspiral Carpets was in Amsterdam that week.

Quite apt given Craig Gill died today.

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Feyenoord were in poor form. Hadn't won in 5 games. But I use the word 'were' wisely as they just had a convincing 3-0 win on the weekend.

On paper we should beat them, but I just don't believe we have the harmony in the squad to go out and play confidently. I expect a draw at best.

I was listening to someone on the radio (can't remember who) who had been around Carrington back in August/September and there was a real confidence and comradery that exciting times were ahead with Jose coming in. I think the lack of harmony I speak of above comes partly from the players NOT having any stability in the Starting XI and settling into their natural positions, the balance of the team, and Mourinho's ability to galvanise everyone and bring them on board.

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

7. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Are you the one of the left giving the Black Power salute?

I wasn't there as I was eight. How very plastic of me <ok>

8. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Yep - waiting for HIAG to appear with something insightful to say about last night

9. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Tbh I'd be very disappointed if we don't at least try to win the EL. It may not be worth much, but we almost certainly won't win the league this year, so it's either the EL or focus on the FA Cup and risk getting knocked out by a single bad game or bit of bad luck.

Don't agree that we lack harmony - we have been playing pretty well in the last few games and dominated Burnley, Swansea and Arsenal. The problem we have is not being able to turn dominant periods into enough goals to kill a match off, and failing to react to setbacks.

The last couple of times we have lost it has generally been because we shipped an early goal and then just fell to pieces. Mourinho needs to be better at developing a plan to face setbacks like that and come back fighting rather than just giving up and crying bad luck.

10. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

HIAG is the third Chuckle Brother. You can't help but laugh at him, even though you are 99% sure he isn't at all funny.

I haven't been this confused since the turn of the millenium when one of my cousins got a bit too pissed and the kiss she gave me at midnight didn't land quite where (I assume) she was aiming...

11. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yup, that's me.

How'd you guess?!?!

12. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I think he needs to pick as similar a side as possible to last weekend's, and do the same this weekend, and then he creates harmony right there by fielding a consistent side.

Zlatan will no doubt return though, given no one buried or got anywhere near on the end of our chances at the weekend.

Treble likes this.
  13. Stan

Stan Stalker

Probably our best chance of CL footie next season.

I see that Deidre has permanently moved back onto the United board. Hopefully his eyes have got used to the light.

14. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

15. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Bunch of yobs <whistle>

16. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've got a good eye for faces - you've posted pics of you on here before so wasn't too hard to work out.

Definitely agree here - game is at home so in the absence of injuries we don't need to worry about travel fatigue. Could maybe do without both Jones and Rojo at the back if another CB is available, but keep the midfield and wide players the same - replace Carrick with Zlatan and push Mata back into CM would be my call.

Herrera and Pogba as part of a midfield three has been the consistent theme in most of the games where we have played well, that should be the core of the team for the foreseeable future. Particularly given it's reported to be one of the main reasons why we bought Pogba in the first place!

glazerfodder likes this.
  17. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I was about to say this, are y'all forgetting the the EL winners get a CL spot?
    If you don't make top 4 in the league, then the EL may be the answer.
    It's a trophy and a Champions league spot.
    I'd rather finish 5th, win the EL and get into the CL, than finish 4th, win nothing and get into the CL.

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely. As we found out last year when van Gaal threw in the towel v Liverpool, no guarantee of clinching 4th.

There's a lot better competition for 4th spot this season as well. We have to try to win the EL, it'd be mental not to.

19. The Prime Minister

The Prime Minister Well-Known Member

Cant see UTD winning this cup, they players seem disinterested in it.

20. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I'm glad you're confident, well done.

My team for tonight, playing 4 3 3, is;

De Gea
    Tony Valencia
    Timbo Fosu Mensah
    Phil Jones
    Luke Shaw
    Ander Herrera
    Juan the majestic Mata
    Paul Pogba
    Henrik Mkhytarian
    Zlat the impaler
    Tony Marshall.

with that side we win by three goals, piss it in fact.

<ok>