1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Managerial Merry go round

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Blue Prophet, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Blue Prophet

Blue Prophet Active Member

Interesting developments, Houllier has left Villa, mainly for health reasons, Randy Lerner is a Steve McClaren fan..........and he's available, Rafa Benitez has delayed his answer to Atletico Madrid by a week, his wife wants to stay in Cheshire (an easy commute to Birmingham) and Rafa fancies another crack at the premiership, and is said to be a cert to chuck his hat into the ring for the Villa job................What has this got to do with Cardiff? Both McClaren and Benitez would take their own backroom staff. Caretaker manager Gary McAllister is keen to have a crack at management in his own right...............and has been highly recommended to Gethin Jenkins by two or three "well respected" senior football men.............one of whom is strongly rumoured to be Arsene Wenger. could be a suprise contender, a keen, young, ambitious manager.................well respected and well connected in the game, we could do a lot worse <ok>

2. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Hi Proph. There's going to be a lot of posturing and positioning over the next week or two. So long as we get someone who wants to stamp a style of football on the club and has footballing conections to give access to players I'll be happy. No point looking back now, only forward.

Another exciting / eventful bluebird season to come.

3. blueforever123

TBF my top two would be MO'N or GM, one a proven manager who would have the full backing of the fans and bring a different style to city. He would also be keen to have a good transfer budget otherwise he definately would not be coming. The Malaysians have said that a transfer fund will be avaliable. So its a possibilty!!!!
    GM I think would make a great manager, will be keen to show how good he is and give us a style of football that he wishes and as such will bring the players in to do so!
    Could be a great season if we get a manager with ambition and desire to get his team playing good football!

4. Sayer77

Sayer77 Active Member

Did Mcallister and Bellamy play in the same Liverpool team? If CB does come back next season and GM is appointed that could be interesting given some of CB's comments regarding ex teamates:emoticon-0150-hands

5. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

What about Toshack?

6. Sayer77

Sayer77 Active Member

Do you know what a Toshack is in Turkish?

7. PGFWhite

Yes!!

8. Sayer77

Sayer77 Active Member

Ok bit of a crass reply but I can't see any reason why City would look at Toshack

9. mjw6150

mjw6150 Member

Nope, McAllister played for Liverpool from 2000-2002 and Bellamy had his spell there in the 2006/2007 season. They just missed each other at Coventry though with McAllister leaving for Liverpool the same summer Bellamy joined the Sky Blues from Norwich :)

10. mjw6150

mjw6150 Member

I would love Toshack! Cardiff boy, tactical guru, likes to play good football, can pick a player.. surely would love one more challenge before retiring?

11. Sayer77

Sayer77 Active Member

It doesn't seem that long ago Mcallister was playing for the scallies, I must be getting old!!!!

12. PGFWhite

Sayer - He is a Cardiff boy, currently twiddling his thumbs and probably the best qualified Welshmen to do the job. Did not cover himself with glory with Wales - but he had limited resources. Will certainly get Cardiff playing football.

13. Sayer77

Sayer77 Active Member

Would Toshack really be forgiven for playing for and managing the geese, scoring against us in the process? Can't see it myself.

14. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want Toshack as long as I've got a hole in my posteria. He showed in his disastrous time with Wales just how out of touch and clueless he is. Also totally unable to motivate players. DJ may have lost the changing room, Toshack would never have it to begin with. An absolute waste of space.

And of course the suggestion came from a Jack.

15. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

to be honest, i have a great amount of respect for toshack, after all, i dont think results for wales would have improved at all under any other manager - constant injuries, players pulling out etc, results havnt improved since anyway.

but i'd rather a new up and coming manager with a bit of tactical nous, and although toshack has been a good manager in the past, isnt he semi retired and living in spain? to be honest if i was living the good life in spain the last thing i'd do was apply for a job in the championship on average wages, home town club or not!

16. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Sorry Swamp, if that waste of space got appointed I would have to give serious thought to getting rid of my ST. He has the motivational talent of an impotent brick. Did I spell that last word correctly?

17. CityAce

CityAce Member

Absolutely agree, absolutely no feckin way Toshack should be near our club, in fact ban him from the stadium.

18. snickernotsprint

snickernotsprint New Member

O'Neill would be an amazing coup and fantastic man-manager. Is he too direct in his style of play? If not him, I'd like a younger man with a point to prove. It would need a bit more patience. Perhaps a Lee Clark, or a second-chance to someone like John Collins if he could be taken away from media career. Gary Mac has great contacts and a fabulous football brain - though what was his record like as Cov manager? Remember it being a bit underwhelming, although I know he had difficult personal life then.

19. mjw6150

mjw6150 Member

O'Neill liked to play counter-attacking football at Villa. I think he is the type of manager that could coach any style. Gary McAllister did a decent job with Coventry but didn't do so well with Leeds in League One...although was rather harshly sacked.

20. H bomb

H bomb Active Member

Sparky just resigned from Fulham :) (as if)