1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Man in the middle

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ----HistoryRepeating----, Jan 27, 2017.

1. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Not much has been said about the ref on Weds night, but I thought Martin Atkinson did superb. The game was allowed to flow, and although it was never going to be a malicious affair its still worth noting there was not a single yellow. He got all the big calls spot on, but he also did it in a calm manner which the players respected. Was pleased when I found out we had him, and I hope to see him involved in some up and couple big games.
    Now, saying all that, can you imagine if Mike Dean had been there, the delight in his eyes as his manic arm waving lowers to point to the spot after Jacks incredibly well timed tackle at the end. The opportunity to be centre stage, the talking point, it would have been too much for him.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

You hit the nail on the head HR, when you point out that not much has been said about Atkinson's performance. That is exactly what you want from a referee, someone who keeps in the background, allows the game to flow, gets the big decisions correct, and is even-handed. Someone who facilitates rather than dictates. There were plenty of tackles all over the pitch, not just Stephens on Origi, which other refs might have blown for, but Martin Atkinson always seemed to make the distinction between fair and foul correctly.

3. ----HistoryRepeating----

And when Sims makes that run, you watch Martin keep pace, he goes past a couple 'Pool players! <laugh> butchersdog

4. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Definitely more Martin Atkinson than Rowan Atkinson.

A very accomplished performance.

Anyone know when the cup final ref is decided and who is in the running. Musnt let mourinho get in their head.

5. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Atkinson is a very good and experienced referee so I was very pleased he was refereeing on Wednesday. I did mention on the match day thread that I thought he was outstanding. Nice to hear positive things about referees from other people. <ok>

6. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Your relentless work on here is finally paying off ;)

7. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Yeah, I noticed that. He was so close to Shane, I was worried he was gonna play a last ditch tackle for pool! <laugh>
    Jesting aside tho, great thread & great ref performance from MA on that night - let's not get too carried away.

8. steve79

steve79 Well-Known Member

Problem with refs is you always hear about when they are ****,but when they are good nobody bats an eyelid.he did a good job i thought

9. Saintharry13

Saintharry13 Well-Known Member

Bloody hell...!! Were so deletions with delight that we're complimenting refs now...!!

Of course.... I say that in jest.... you are totally right, he got the balance totally right and let the game flow where it needed to.

I've never been, but I guess anfield on a cup night must be quite intimidating, he rightly ignored and produced a great display by not being noticed.

manxsaint likes this.
  10. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

See message #800 on the match thread Page 40.

11. ----HistoryRepeating----

I thought Mike Dean handled the Burnley/Leicester game very well yesterday. I think we might well be witnessing a more considered approach from him now, which will benefit the league. Credit where its due Mike.

12. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

Does the League Cup have the same tradition as the Fa Cup?

In that refs can only referee the final once?

13. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Mike Dean has actually been around a fair old time. For example, I believe he reffed the FA Cup 3rd Round 4-0 game against Spurs in 2003. For me, he's had periods where he was an excellent referee. These days I think he overly suffers from a reputation of being too strict, because for a season or two he applied new rulings a little too hard. Nice to see a change.