1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Luck

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Apr 16, 2017.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I'm not a great believer in luck in personal life (the ball bouncing into the net off Mackie's arse is obviously luck if not an own goal), most things can be traced back to good decisions, choices, hard work and risks taken. Coincidences I will accept, bumping into old friends in odd places etc.

However, just been listening to The Reunion on the wireless, a discussion between 5 first generation punk women. The first few bars of Anarchy in the U.K. took me right back there. And on reflection, the 'luck' of being 15 in London in 1976, things over which I had no influence, was immense, changing the way I look at the world permanently for the good I think. But I'm not sure most people would class this as 'luck'.

Anybody got any examples of more direct life changing luck that might make me think again? I imagine Nines has multiple occasions where the burning roof beam didn't fall on his head.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    QPR999 and Didley Squat like this.
  2. 1982_Ranger

1982_Ranger Well-Known Member

I think your case is more circumstance and/or coincidence? Just being in the right place at the right time.

I suppose that could apply to anything you'd consider lucky though, like a lottery win or a near miss in an accident.

Didley Squat and sb_73 like this.
  3. IwasanotherwatfordR

IwasanotherwatfordR Well-Known Member

Being born and living in the first world, specifically England (surely one of the most tolerant and caring places on the planet). Apparently, the population in England in relation the world is roughly 0.8 of one percent, so that makes me and most on here, pretty fortunate.

Furthermore, living near to North West London, it happened that the first football game I got taken to see by a family friend, was Watford vs QPR. I was five and despite being taken to the game by Watford supporters, became an R from that point on, a mere 40 odd years ago. So that was lucky, I could have been taken to a Fulham game although I suppose that would have saved me the cost of ever having to buy an away ticket.

4. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

I found $360 on the pavement once! (and no)

5. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Is there a difference between luck and good fortune? I consider myself to be fortunate to have been born where I was when I was. Having a grandfather who worked on security at Wembley was particularly fortunate.

QPR999 and sb_73 like this.
  6. KentGaz

KentGaz Well-Known Member

While working nights recently a group of gentlemen came into my bar one of them was one of my all time heroes I consider myself lucky he chose my bar (there's two on the ship) to have a Guinness or 3 at 6am IMG_0040.JPG

EscapeGoat, qprbeth, QPR999 and 3 others like this.
  7. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

This lady "died" in a keep fit class, collapsing into the back of my wife, who happens to be a nurse, who then started resuscitation, and bought her back to life....

http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/...m_s_thanks_to_lifesaving_nurses/?ref=mrb&lp=2

If that's not luck or good fortune, then don't know what it would be classed as...Doctor said she had a 4% chance of survival, and only the quality of resuscitaion administered kept her in with a chance.

Kilburn, QPR999, Didley Squat and 3 others like this.
  8. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Luck, fate, accident of birth, who knows? The saying is that everything happens for a reason, I'm still searching for the reason I am a QPR fan!

sb_73 and Steelmonkey like this.
  9. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Aren't we all <laugh> I mean, what have we all done to deserve the torture of being a hoops fan! The massive highs, followed by the inevitable crashing back down to earth....it's the hope that kills you!! But boy, the few highs we have had have sent me to the stars.......

kiwiqpr and Hoops Eternal like this.
  10. durbar2003

I was in New York once when a meteorite crash in Pakistan, that was luck!

11. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

I think we all have a built in thought mechanism that assists us in making a informed & often correct decisions when situations arise.
    Normally, decisions made by the heart tend to come come back and bite us on the arrse.

Those who embrace knowledge tend to point themselves in the right direction whereas someone who feels down on their luck will not prosper cause they are stopping themselves moving forward.

As a builder, l've met people from all walks of life, those that had squillions of dollars all make the comment that 'luck' played a big part of them being successful.

You have to be in the right place at the right time. I believe you need to put yourself there to make it happen.

Being a positive/ proactive person certainly helps in achieving your goals. You can't wait for things to happen, you have to make things happen, to me, that is the difference.

QPR999 and sb_73 like this.
  12. fulham traveller

fulham traveller Well-Known Member

I would call that lucky and unlucky, lucky not to be a watford fan, unlucky not to me a Ffc fan lol

IwasanotherwatfordR likes this.
  13. fulham traveller

fulham traveller Well-Known Member

Did you get a bang on the head ?

14. durbar2003

No such thing as luck. Good stuff happens, **** happens.

15. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Wow! You bumped into TBGWTDT Gaz. He's the spitting image of our old mate DT.

16. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Blimey that's very thought provoking Stanley. I think there is a quick fix personal response that would be rendered as acceptable but I also think there is a greater degree of thought that could give a better explanation to your question.

I'll ( hopefully) get back to you on this one.

17. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Not life changing in any way.
    So I got this large amount of foam from work to make camping matresses ...coming back to Preston Road from Kensington on the Met line ...just forgot it...and left it on the train...it was a very large bundle, still not sure how I forgot it.

Three hours later, going out for the night, got on the Met line train and there it was right in front of me...untouched.

What's the chances of the same train coming back...three hours later, the chances that I got on in the same place...and that no one stole it.

Luck...yes...life changing no....although we still have it, and still use it.

Will try and think of something deeper and more profound

Didley Squat and Uber_Hoop like this.
  18. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

For those who are interested...This is what Stan was listening to
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08m98q2
    Women of Punk
    The Reunion
    Sue MacGregor reunites five musicians who embraced the anarchy of punk music and created a unique style of their own.

For many young people, Britain in the late 1970s was a place without hope.

19. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Several I suspect

fulham traveller likes this.