1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Looks like we're safe

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Apr 22, 2017.

1. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I have never been an advocate of that. Far better managers have been sacked without being given the resources that LJ has been given since he has been here.

This is why I despise a certain section of our fanbase chasing managers out of the club at the first sign of poor form (we have our own resident one here!)

I just genuinely don't believe we will achieve anything with this particular manager.

Thats how I feel, you cant say I didn't give him a fair try!!

2. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I've said this on other threads, but, have we really spent that much money? In terms of a) what other clubs in this division spend nowadays and b) taking into consideration what was recouped in sales (i.e. Kodjia), which resulted in a net transfer profit. (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bristol-city/transfers/verein/698)

Maybe we have fans who are being unrealistic as to what to expect of City, at least in the immediacy, or perhaps it's me not being ambitious enough. Whilst, I'd agree that we've underperformed this year, I'd also say it's not been by that much, taking everything into consideration and based against expectations at the start of the season.

The long-term plan should not be completely at the expense of the short-term; relegation would've been (could still be!) an absolute disaster, but I do agree with the policy of signing players on their way up and hopefully either reaping the benefits directly from them fulfilling their potential, or the club cashing in on them for a profit.

I think the majority of fans (included myself), would've fallen on the 'sack LJ' side at some point this season, but now that it's clear that he's hanging around, many (again, myself included) will support the club as it moves into next season, rather than to continue to call for his head - particularly as our current form is actually pretty good.

As it has been pointed out, LJ did say that he wanted 3 transfer windows to build a side he wanted and this summer will complete that. Though I don't agree that a playoff position should be 'the absolute minimum' (I think that would be bordering on arrogant), I do expect to see improvement in the final league position and a top-half finish. I'd say that over the next 3 seasons, we ought to have at least one where we achieve a playoff spot (or better...).

Supcon72, manxrobin and Loathsneyd like this.
  3. banksyisourhero

The comparison being made was of the level of support given to other managers that have been at our club.

wizered likes this.
  4. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Sorry Banksy, I wasn't replying directly to your point, just a general view of the performance of the club as a whole. I've also said elsewhere that I believe that the dismal run we went on would've been enough for any other manager at any other club to be sacked, of that I think there is no doubt.

Whether our recent revival will carry on into next season remains to be seen - if it does and we have a successful season, then it will show real vindication, no only in SL's decision to stand by LJ, but to Football League Managers as a whole, who are often replaced at the first sign of trouble. I'm sceptical that LJ has the ability to build a successful, long-term legacy, but I hope the club does well and here and now, he's part of the package.

Maybe the difference between managers and their overall influence isn't nearly as big as people think. Roberto Di Matteo was 'good' enough to win the Champions League for Chelsea, but was underwhelming at West Brom and pretty much a total failure at Aston Villa. Similarly, Avram Grant got them to the final and was a slippery surface away from winning it, but he didn't exactly set the World alight at West Ham.

banksyisourhero likes this.
  5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Considering the money we have taken IN for Bollasie, Kodjia and the 2 Lukes, aren't we actually in CREDIT this season as far as spending is concerned?

6. banksyisourhero

Post 103..

7. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Sorry mate I'm a bit slow - what does this mean? :)

8. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

City have spent more than many. Burton haver neither the gates or the money and City could still finish behind them. Burton!!!

Could use your stop talking bollocks line but will offer advice inflation is 2% so if you spending far far more than that and getting crap back change something.

9. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

They've also got more money in than many but that tends to be overlooked

10. Red Alert

Burton??? spent 300k on a player.

11. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

There'll always be exceptions in isolation. A couple of seasons back, Yeovil were in the Championship whilst we were in league one, with w budget smaller than Burton! They've done amazingly well, but it isn't likely to last.

12. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Yes that's everyday goods, but just because inflation is at 2% doesn't stop them from being "at a record high".
    House prices & Rent are at record highs...........Energy Bills are at record highs........Back to football.....Transfer fees and wages are at record highs or have you not noticed? Bit of bollocks wouldn't you say?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  13. banksyisourhero

Its alright mate you ain't the only one!

"The comparison being made was of the level of support given to other managers that have been at our club."

14. Red Alert

Your post mentioned goods not house prices or rents or energy bills. your posts are all over the place.

Some clubs have spent record sums not all. teams above City have spent less. and again if you spend a lot more you expecty to see significant improvement. record sums spent by City many will feel should have mean not being relegation contenders.

15. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Not all over the place at all, you just struggle with the context of things....anyway, is 2% year by year going up or down? <doh>
    Not really sure how much City has spent this season when you take account how much we got for Kodja (although the wage bill would have been much higher)....I Imagine most clubs in the league over the last few years will have spent record amounts for their club, I think you have to go with the times (which you keep telling me).
    I agree and have said all along it's been a very disappointing season, I'm sure most clubs around us feel exactly the same and I do think LJ's lucky to still be in a job as most owners, I'm sure would have acted with a P45.
    I just don't see many managers available out there that would be willing to come here that would have made that much difference. SL obviously thinks the same!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  16. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

and equally we don't get the gates of Forest, but looking pretty certain to finish above them. Expenditure is no guarentee of success - look at Man City, no-one has spent more than them in the Prem this season and they will finish without a trophy, and possibly not even a Champions League place!!

17. leez

leez Well-Known Member

hope to see yous lads at the top end of the championship next season ...

18. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Burton have done brilliantly and it is good to see them safe. Clough has several times said that success would be just to stay up and he has done that.He has done a great job. It looks as though he has made good use of loan signings but then again, we have probably just had our best loan signing ever.

19. Red Alert

sorry fella but people are constantly making excuses for Lee Johnson saying City cant compete with parachute payments and the rest. to a degree I agree as I don't think City spending the most they ever have should have resulted in 4/5 months of form including the worst run in BCFC history.

20. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

We seemed to do all right against Top sides this year and also the bottom, it was the teams in between that we seemed to have the most trouble with. That's why we are the position in the table we are.
    It is a hard league to compete in, Sunderland will be coming down with money and will be strong as will any of the others who join them. I think I read last year that there were 14 teams still benefactors of some kind of payments.We wont beat the system, but it would be good to join them as Bournemouth, Cardiff, Hull and others have found

oneforthebristolcity likes this.