1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Looks like we're safe

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Apr 22, 2017.

1. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

The three points today mean that we have to lose our last 2 games and Blackburn have to win both and score a shed load of goals to stand any chance of pipping us at the post. I can't wait for this season to end because it has stirred up some strong emotions that need to be forgotten quickly and let the chips fall where they may for next time out. A single point from our last 2 games will seal the deal rather than staying up on goal difference alone.

Now let's move on and hope that change is in the wind, whatever your own definition of that phrase means. Have a great summer one and all and when we all reappear next season let's hope some good things have happened during the break.

2. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

I can't see anything other than a repeat to be honest. Maybe a couple of players leaving (Tomlin for example), 6-7m spent in the summer, and a season of flirting between mid table and the lower end at best.

3. invermeremike

It couldn't be any worse than this one - could it? I always look forward to the start of a new season because it should offer some promise and change to show dedication to becoming better, but I have all but given up on expectations.

4. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

Huddersfield fans may have a different perspective based on their last 2 seasons.....

NickH likes this.
  5. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Well this was a massive learning curve for our young players this season, and our young manager, should stand them in good stead for next season, probably have to replace Tammy (but you never know, Chelsea may be kind) at least three more signings needed, a few to be got rid of, and i look forward to a more successful season in 2017-18.

6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Yes Mike, it could - ask a Rotherham, Wigan or Blackburn fan!!!

RedorDead likes this.
  7. bcfcredandwhite

Swindon also got relegated today - my son was stewarding down there trying not to laugh - he is far more militant against them than I am!

8. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Best bit was Flint almost guaranteed us survival the day Swindle got relegated :)

9. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I won't celebrate until it's mathematically certain, on the basis that an absolute tonking at Brighton isn't out of the question.

Having said that, I do think that any turn of events that end up with us being relegated are incredibly unlikely now - it'll be nice to see the back on this frustrating season & hopefully be excited by the prospect of the next. It's been a pleasure having Abraham with us, who I genuinely believe is destined for the very top, so there's a big vacancy to fill.

A top striker should be high up the priority list, followed by a right back & possibly goalkeeper, though I'm not as big a Fielding critic as many. I'd also love a powerhouse defensive midfielder in the Khalifa Cisse mold. I'm hoping Jens Hegeler can grow into that role - his reputation is too good to suggest he can't 'handle' the Championship, and someone who can offer a shield to the defence, break up play & initiate attacks is invaluable.

10. RedorDead

Like you I'm not celebrating till the maths say safe, I know we've a 9 goal difference but Brighton could put 4 past us and likewise Blackburn could win 3-0 v Villa (that but less likely) but stranger things have happened in football.
    If I was manager I would be tempted to go 5 midfield next week with Smith, Pack and Hegelar playing. Bryant left midfield how can track back and Goldbourne or Maggnason as left back, and really park the bus.
    It's not about how bad we look it's about not conceding to many. And then Blackburn needing a massive miracle on the last day.
    However Villa can have a massive impact on our season in their next two games.
    Hopefully come kick off we won't need to worry too much.

Supcon72 likes this.

11. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I'm certain were safe now, but I agree with ROD, park the bus vs Brighton to steal a point if we can ( which I doubt) as a hiding there could unsettle the team confidence which as we've seen already this season can be very fragile and a 4 goal or more thrashing down there could really shake things up for us in a bad way.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  12. RedorDead

Over the past 7 games that Rowlett has been in charge of Derby, we've had a better run of form.
    I don't want LJ in charge but still going to support the team I love regardless.

Supcon72 likes this.
  13. invermeremike

Still not done and dusted quite yet but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

14. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Am I right in thinking that even if we end up level on points with a team and level goal difference, it then comes down to goals scored?
    If so it looks good for us and Forest in that Scenario as we have both scored the most by a distance, so Blackburn would have to win both games by a goal difference swing of 10 or more (9 would put them the same as us) whilst scoring 11 goals in their last 2 games and we don't socre any (or 11 more than what ever we might score in our last 2 games), a highly unlikely set of circumstances.

Just checked the fixtures and pretty much everyone but us will play sides with nothing to play for (except QPR v Forest), whereas we play a side going for the title and a side battling for survival - not what you would want tbh. I hope we can hold our nerve!!!!!

15. RedorDead

I can remember Arsenal beating Liverpool on same points and same goal difference but on goals scored, back in 1989.
    So googled the below bit for what happens next.

"If at the end of the Season, either the League Champions or the Clubs to be relegated or the question of qualification for other competitions cannot be determined because 2 or more Clubs are equal on points, goal difference and goals scored, the Clubs concerned shall play off one or more deciding League Matches on neutral grounds, the format, timing and venue of which shall be determined by the Board."

16. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

At least by the time we play our next game we will know what we need to do. Might not even need to do anything

17. bcfcredandwhite

I'm hoping that by 5pm next Saturday, Brighton will already be champions and we will already be safe - meaning I can enjoy watching a stress-free friendly at the Amex followed by a weekend on the piss in Brighton with both sets of fans feeling happy.

18. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I love it the team is safe and our fans are not suffering relegation woes but what a sad, lowly,miserable season Johnson has subjcted us to, in my mind with the back up and resources he has had accorded to him he is a dismal failure, come seasons end he should be disposed of, replaced, sacked call it what you want but because we have just survived don't make him our saviour, he is not up to it..

Angelicnumber16 and Red Robin like this.
  19. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

Hard to argue with this sentiment but as we've all seen, the chances of LJ getting replaced are zero for at least a good period of time. The big question is what, if anything, has he learned from this season? If it's the same again next season, then both manager and owner are fools. If, he surprises us and we are a completely different prospect, like Huddersfield, then maybe, just maybe, the experiment was worth it.

I truly hope I'm wrong but I seriously doubt we'll see a big change.

20. bcfcredandwhite

If SL hasn't sacked Lee after the worst run of defeats in our clubs history, then why would he when we have picked up what is promotion form?
    He isn't going anywhere.
    Like you Tampa I just hope the gamble pays off.

Top 6 next season and all will be forgiven.