1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Line of duty

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by rangercol, May 1, 2017.

1. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Fantastic series. Fantastic acting (Thandie Newton was a revelation!).

BUT.............

Anyone else find the finale a bit of a cop-out?

QPR999 likes this.
  2. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Cop-out? Very good Col!...

I think the message from the end was that there were bigger fish above Hilton and that will probably be the subject of the next series...

3. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Thought the ending seemed a bit rushed - spookily easy how quickly they managed to find the tracksuit and blood-stained clothes, and within a few minutes she was in the custody suite being interviewed. Also, once the revelations of the higher conspiracy came to light, the ending seemed rushed, just a pre-lude to the next series really.

Pretty happy with the programme as a whole, but adding another 30 minutes to the final episode would have given a better outcone overall I think.

rangercol likes this.
  4. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

An excellent series. Almost as good as Murder In Successville.

Steelmonkey and sb_73 like this.
  5. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Enjoyed that drama & thought there would be a twist at the end, went on a bit & could have made it a 4part one

6. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Very good. My guess was that Thandie was having an affair with the lawyer. As Sooper says, it's all about the next series now.

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I've watched all of this series, which my wife loves. Thought it was pretty good, the plot ridiculous (it had been sold to me as 'realistic') not that it matters for entertainment. I missed having a single sympathetic character to root for and trust. I suppose that's true to life, as everyone is flawed. Newton was terrific. The logical big baddie in all of this is Hastings, but I doubt the audience would put up with that.

Where did Jamie get a gun from at the end? By the way, if you have sepsis you won't be covering your traces in an elaborate way for days, you will be in hospital in an induced coma or dead, possibly within hours. And don't discharge yourself two days after an amputation.

8. Steelmonkey

Now that IS a good show - the 2 episodes so far in the new series have been side-splittingly funny....I don't know how they hold it together sometimes!

9. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

May I remind you that it is your duty not to start a thread regarding this TV show fella. I must stress in the strongest possible terms that you leave me with no option but to serve you with a 'Regulation 15 Notice' son.

( Probably best read using a Northern Irish accent. :emoticon-0100-smile )

I feel that the 'Balaclava Man' revelation was a bit of a disappointment because in the lead up to the revelation the Line of Duty twitter account lead you to believe it would be one of the main characters.
    If you haven't watched the first 3 series last night's finale might be a bit confusing as a lot of the summing up made references to characters that have been central to the whole series.

I don't watch a lot of telly other than sport, so for me to tune in whenever the line of duty is on shows what a great drama it is. I think Hastings is excellent and comes across as a good strong old school copper with a strong moral compass. The actor who plays him Adrian Dunbar used to share a flat with Neil Morrissey who has also starred in the show. He said he thought he'd never get a role that would bring him fame as his mate Morrissey went on to be a household name. He said that the line of duty has changed his life as people now recognise him wherever he goes.

Another interesting point is that Martin Compston who plays Steve Arnott has a strong Scottish accent and often lets it slip during filming causing a lot retakes.

I'm really looking forward to the fifth series but it's looking like it will be at least two years away.

rangercol, Stroller and Steelmonkey like this.
  10. Steelmonkey

He's from Greenock, and a bit of a local hero. He's been in a few excellent programmes/films, notably "The Wee Man' about Glasgow ganglord Paul Ferris and STV mini-series 'In Plain Sight" where he plays serial killer Peter Manuel, one of the last people to be hanged at Barlinnie Prison - would recommend both.

QPR999 likes this.

11. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

He was also a pro footballer and played for Greenock Morton. He only made two first team appearances though. I'll look out for above shows you've mentioned, cheers.

Steelmonkey likes this.
  12. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Co-incidentally he's good mates with Tom Davis, who plays DI Sleet in Murder in Successville. He was also in a film called the Disappearance of Alice Creed, which is notable for Gemma Arterton's nude scenes (and fine acting).

Steelmonkey and QPR999 like this.
  13. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

Last season's finale was 90 mins I think and was better for it. They were always going to struggle to better 'Dot' Cotton's "urgent exit required" text.

rangercol and QPR999 like this.
  14. mapleranger

mapleranger Well-Known Member

I personally the series was a great series and if there are more coming, the sooner the better.

QPR999 likes this.
  15. stanleyparkerbowles

stanleyparkerbowles Well-Known Member

In answer to the question yes

But every series ever has ended ended worse that it started

E.g. My 2nd favourite series of all time
    Sopranos

What did th rest of you think of the end of the sopranos?

16. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Yeah, I found it rather self-indulgent.

17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Shut up! I am saving the entire Sopranos for the first week of my retirement, or long illness, whatever comes first.

Steelmonkey likes this.
  18. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

Apart from The Missing,2nd series was miles better than the first. Absolutely gutted that the brothers who write it, have said that there almost certainly won't be a 3rd series as it would take them too long to devise the plot. In my eyes the character Julien Baptiste was one of the best I've seen in recent years, and I could watch the actor who portrays him ( Tcheky Karyo ) all day. Fabulous actor,and I wanna see him in more things !

19. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Sapronos drifted last couple of series but first 3/4 was superds. Last program was very disappointing..

20. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Murder in Successville with Gary Kemp is the most hilarious TV I have seen in ages - had me in tears of laughter

Stroller and Steelmonkey like this.