1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Legal marijuana coming to Canada

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Mar 29, 2017.

1. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I know you have the Brexit issue to deal with but maybe legal marijuana may be the solution to all your problems, or maybe not. This has always been a contentious issue particularly with parents concerned about their kids and the knock on effects of using recreational drugs. Legalisation has been talked about in Canada for many years but Justin Trudeau is the first Prime Minister to go the distance and is now starting to find that the road to the end point is filled with potholes, much the same as Brexit is to the U.K.

I hope that this thread doesn't open up any nastiness due to people's views and is intended solely for discussion on a topic the has even got our southern cousins (Yanks) allowing it's use in many states, which surprised the heck out of me.

To start the ball rolling I will tell you the I have been a recreational user for 20+ years and now have a medical license to use it legally and so I have a very good insight on the subject of the supposed evil weed. To my amazement when I tell people they are curious, and not in the slightest way critical, and so I spend a lot of time discussing the various issues surrounding cannabis and it's uses in my health battle against massive pain.

If the mods approve of my thread it might be interesting to see what questions and discussions come up and perhaps it might help someone who is going down the same road as me and I'll just leave it there and see what happens. Take care guys.

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Your thread does not need approval Mike, it's your right to expess an a opinion or a point of view, offensive material, racsism, religous bigotry, homophobia, sexism or general bullying are the red lines as regards this mod..

3. invermeremike

Thanks wiz and it will be interesting to see what responses I get and the thread is not intended to upset people but rather to open up the line of discussion. I'm sure Brexit will produce some extremely different views and opinions.

4. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I'm in two minds as I used to be known to indulge every now and again. However kids nowadays want to smoke till they throw a whitey and can't be arsed to work the next day.
    My son has been preaching to me that it's the same as drinking etc and he could be correct. But with it came the thieving and the lying to me so from a parents view I can tell you in the wrong hands it can be a living nightmare.
    Medically if it works then it should of been prescribed years and years ago. I am daily on tramadol due to my back and neck and if you read up on that you will see that, that is much worse than weed. I've seen some people in so much pain I wished they tried the weed.

5. invermeremike

The multi-national pharmaceutical companies have been fobbing off some nasty drugs on the unsuspecting public for years and regrettably I have taken some of them, specifically Oxy-Contin plus some neurontins including Gabapentin. I can assure those who have not had to use these kinds of drugs is that they are not good for your mental well being.

Legalizing marijuana can prove to be a contentious road to travel and the major concern is the product in the hands of the youth and so I would like to see the legal age set at 21 years of age because before that age the likelihood of other stuff becoming more attractive is a danger zone. I have never had the desire to look elsewhere even though the opportunity was there but I chose to stay on the safer route and not explore the side roads to nowhere.

6. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

well done Canada pity im a little old for a change of country or I`d be putting a for sale sign up on my sh.it hole of a house>>>>>>>>>anyways myself I think Britain is fking stupid for not wanting this fine herb legalised........the pros far outweigh any negatives unlike many of the products on offer in any corner shop or major supermarket.

red or dead maybe letting your son grow weed would stop his need for money>>>>>>>im not sure if you've noticed but the black market is charging top dollar for fine weed and low prices for something that would be better being flushed down the toilet........don't fight with him over it have a smoke with him and bond again like a father and son should do.

liberate and medicate :emoticon-0176-smoke:emoticon-0150-hands

7. aberdude

^^^^same old story from some>>>>>>the gateway <laugh>..the only gateway is the man selling everything on the black market in one place mate>>>>>>>>with your take smoking cannabis we be still stuck in reefer madness times <ok>

21 would be a good age for most things in life like leaving school, going to church, having children, marriage, drinking, smoking, uppers, downers and fking side winders and so it goes on, I could had driving working or sucking knobs for a living and many more 2 the list but no we allow people 2 make grow up decisions much earlier in life...........

8. invermeremike

Education is key factor in this department and parenting skills are a major component. The target day is July 1st 2018 and under the law you will be allowed to grow 4 plants for personal use only or purchase your herb of choice at an approved outlet which is supplied by companies vetted by Health Canada. Under those rules there is no chance that you will get tainted product which is more likely if you buy the stuff from anyone else out on the street, although I have never had that kind of issue with previous supplies.

A Canadian snowboarder (Ross Rebagliatti) won an Olympic gold medal under the influence of marijuana and when he was caught the authorities let him keep it because he wasn't using a performance enhancing drug. Therein lies a problem that could affect students and workers, so where do you draw the line? To me alcohol is a much more sinister story, and the news I read from the U.K. is quite scary, and yet that is fully legal.

9. aberdude

good news, I only grow four plants these days <laugh>

legalise it

10. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

It might as well be legal - the people in Swindon smoke it openly on the street here.
    If the government legalised it they could then control it and get taxes from it - instead of SPENDING taxes trying to stop it.
    It would cut out the street dealers too.
    While we're at it legalise prostitution too - licences brothels instead of girls being 'managed' by their pimp.
    Drugs and prostitution are intrinsically linked and the government could take the criminal out of both industries if they wanted.

They just don't want to.

I do get that there are dangers, but at least if it is brought within the law it will be easier to monitor and control.

Look at prohibition in the US. Illegal liquor and the Mafia were the only beneficiaries.

11. aberdude

"Therein lies a problem that could affect students and workers"...........he won his medal stoned<<<<<<<<<fair play he needs another medal for that <laugh>>>..........joking aside ive worked like many of other friends I know for thirty odd years and rarely miss a day sick and have never had a serious accident>>>>>>>now my mates that drink have another story which is painful compared>>>>lost jobs lost families lost teeth lost ears and even a fking nose missing................now if weed brought about the same issues drink gives us then I`d be the first 2say it shouldn't be legalised but it doesn't so there you go

12. aberdude

tbh I think the churches and politicians like it illegal purely because it makes them naughty boys and girls, reverse psychology sort of thing, it ups the pleasure seeking <laugh>

13. aberdude

14. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

I don't smoke or drink so can't say much on this issue ;)

15. aberdude

then what do you do? <whistle> goody two shoes

16. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

Nothing, I'm boring me mate, not surprised to see you on this thread though <whistle>

17. invermeremike

Each to his own taste Tom and I'm probably in the middle sitting on the fence as usual.

18. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

I lived with a psychiatric nurse who wrote a thesis should cannabis be legalised. Yes was the premise. Interesting points. Post legalisation general drug use in the Netherlands dropped. Cannabis is not a gateway drug.

19. invermeremike

The only time it becomes a gateway drug is for those who are looking for one. The sad ones who travel that road have other issues that need to be dealt with before they are criticized, and I feel for them. Like alcohol, if it is used wisely then it becomes less of an issue and hopefully the criminal element will disappear so the police can focus on more serious problems and not spend hours on chasing the wrong people.

20. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

My experience of the drug is having a son who became so paranoid after using it heavily which eventually lead to some very violent episodes. This has also lead onto more serious class A drugs. Like alcohol it can be a trigger to underlying mental health issues and often in these cases becomes addictive. Not sure what the answer is other than better education in schools.

RedorDead likes this.