1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Kyle says goodbye to Spurs

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by CFC: Champs £launderx17, May 25, 2017.

1. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Well, firstly I totally disagree that this past season was our 'chance'. Chelsea won it with 93 points - second in the all time Premiership record points scored. We finished 2nd with 86 pts - second in the all time list of points scored but not winning it. So quite how you worked that out, I'm not sure.

Secondly, you lot were all saying the exact same thing this time last year. If you have managed to get it any more right for next season it'll be because we're being dislocated to Wembley. Not because the usual suspects have spent 100's of millions, yet again.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  2. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

...if you look closely I said "this season and last" as being your best chance ... and this season sort of proves my point ... you were very good but Chelsea brought in N'Golo Kante and David Luiz into an already good squad and the rest is history ...plus getting the most points in second is irrelevant to anyone other than Spurs fans ... there is no trophy for that ... and logically it suggests that if you don't strengthen better than Chelsea then you will not finish above them next season ... hence your best chance to win the title 'may' have gone ... :)

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    The Ginger Marks likes this.
  3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

It's very relevant to us.

This 'no trophy for it' is very tiresome. The only people counting them is oppo fans on behalf of Spurs. Spurs fans know what is going on. Just like you got no trophy for sacking the most successful manager in your club's history, yet it was an important move for your club.

Logic suggests we should be dead and buried with 6th and below season in season out. Logic also suggested last Summer, what you seem to be suggesting again. Fosse dont bring your mid table at best mentality into these conversations, you won't get it.

FosseFilberto likes this.
  4. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

We know it will be very difficult with the moneybags clubs splashing out their usual 100's millions. But, as we've come very close to proving, not impossible. Whilst what Leicester achieved last year was remarkable, it's an occurrence unlikely to recur in my lifetime. The so called top sides all fell away and we stuck with you most of the way.

This is a team game, as we have both demonstrated. The best collection of individual talents is not necessarily the best team. Wembley will be our hardest challenge for next year, though.

5. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Quentin lad, do calm down... it's quite obvious that you are a little embarrassed at having your lack of footballing knowledge exposed again.

...and given that this thread is developing into a fine debate on the subject you might want to go back to your room and carry on playing Minecraft.

I'm not being unkind Quents...it's just that the level of debate has gone beyond a BBC Gossip Column knowledge entry level and nobody wants to see you getting further humiliated Quents ... try building a new stadium or something. :)

6. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Good luck next season buddy and I mean that sincerely... but I was also only half winding ... I won't be surprised to see United, City and Chelsea sharing the title out between them for the rest of this decade and beyond... which will be a shame but is still the most likely scenario ... hope I'm wrong.

7. Stan

Stan Stalker

^^^^^
    #smallhourssulk

8. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I think what Fosse is probably trying to say, is that for clubs like Spurs, there is a finite window of opportunity, where the traditional top clubs (ie the rich clubs) were in a transitional period or a period of instability and were all operating "below par". United still haven't recovered from losing SAF, City's title winning squad was ageing and a new manager was bought in, Chelsea had a complete meltdown and complete relationship breakdown between between the squad and manager.

This is the window where other clubs can take advantage to steal in and nick a title or two. At just this period in time, Spurs seemed to get a decent squad together and a competent manager at just the right time.......these last two seasons were your chance to break in and join the party.
    Unfortunately Leicester seemed to take advantage of some kind of alignment of the stars and achieve the impossible, then Conte came to Chelsea and got our **** together, and it is just a matter of time before City and United sort their **** out (ie spend a **** ton of cash).

Things are returning to "normal" now. This coupled with Spurs playing at Wembley next season, and their complete inability to compete with the aforementioned 3 rich clubs financially, means, inevitably, you will slip back down in the pecking order....probably.....
    Your squad will eventually get carved up if Silverware isn't won....and I cannot see Spurs winning **** next season. Thats just my personal opinion of course.

9. The Ginger Marks

^^^This <ok>

10. Stan

Stan Stalker

That's a brave prediction...

11. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how long Utd require to get over Fergie leaving, but it doesn't look like happening anytime soon.

City, Guardiola will get it right eventually, but next year? I'm not so sure.

Chelsea, if we both put out our very best first eleven there ain't much in it. You have the bench, we don't.

Spurs, we need to adapt to Wembley, that's for sure. I see that MP is starting training sessions there asap. Obviously we have to display progress to our top players or some will go.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah can't argue with much of that. Strengthening a rival is ****ing annoying but there's a hope (and admittedly it's bitter) that if Walker does go City, he suffers the form he had pre-Poch as he was **** prior to Poch joining us. Seeing as Pep admitted he "doesn't train tackling" and that although similar, his style of football isn't the same to Spurs', I'd piss my pants if Walker ended up being an expensive dud.

Our title chances are always going to be slim due to the stature and spending/ pulling power of rivals but I think our first XI right now can match anyone and will be able to match anyone next season once the window's shut, hopefully we can add some quality to the squad and then we'll be good to go for another season. There's a few sides who in my opinion need a lot of work to become better than us and I don't think it's something they can do in just one window of signing a load of expensive players so I think we hold the advantage of having a settled side.

13. Stan

Stan Stalker

This reminds me of the time when Mourinho tried to sign Modric for Chelsea when he was manager of Real Madrid.

14. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

And Levy sold him to Real for less money...

15. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Well Fergie was the best manager ever, and had built a legacy at United.
    His departure was inevitably going to set them back, but the sheer pulling power of their name and their riches will see them eventually get somewhere near the top again. At nowhere near the level of domination SAF enjoyed of course, but that sort of thing is a one off.

City like you said, Pep just needs time and money, he will get both.

Chelsea, I agree, our XI's are not all that dissimilar in terms of quality, the main difference is twofold:

1) We win stuff, you don't, and top players want trophies
    2) We can afford to pay players like Hazard 300k a week if he wants it.

Spurs inability to do those two things will see your squad dissipate, thats the main difference.
    Harsh I know, but its the truth.

Your new Stadium will put you in better stead going forward in terms of finances, but it will be too late to keep this current squad together imo.
    The next time you get a decent squad together and/or the big clubs falter, you will be better placed to take advantage (plus anomalies like Leicester probably wont happen).

16. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

We'll see how next season goes.

We don't win stuff - yet, I agree.

The wages. I can't disagree. I also wouldn't like to think that we can pay, but won't. Although I'm not so sure sometimes!

Match day revenue is supposedly merely a small part of overall global revenues. Yet all the top clubs have either enlarged, moved to new stadia, or are in the process of doing so.

17. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

It is, overall i guess.
    But consider Arsenal.
    Their revenue increased by nearly half a million pound PER GAME, by moving from Highbury to the Emirates.
    Thats 8 million a season just for league games alone, factor in ticket sales for Cup games and European ties, and that could equal upward of £10-15m per season in increased revenue. Thats the annual wages of two world class players right there.
    Plus bigger stadiums also equal more advertising space so advertising revenue goes up also.

There is a reason why the top 10 PL clubs are all looking to move to bigger grounds, even if our proposed ground does look like a ****ing egg slicer <grr>

yossarian likes this.
  18. Or, to put it another way, they fluked the title.
    <ok>

19. The Ginger Marks

By whopping 10 points. <doh>

20. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Quents ...this is now a discussion between grown ups ...perhaps you could come back when you have?