1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Karius saves his (Migs') Anfield career

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Dec 9, 2016.

1. LuisDiazgamechanger

Apart from David James, how many calamity keepers we have had?

2. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Same number of errors leading to a goal, plus an own goal, fewer clean sheets, more goals conceded per game, 2 yellow cards, half the win rate

And all with the benefit of Williams making an #incredibledifference

3. Mr Beej

Mr Beej Well-Known Member

Too many (to count)!

4. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

I don't think we can rate Karius as one yet. He could turn out to be one of the best we've had. He is still very young.

It is just at the moment he has made some critical mistakes and for his own sake and that of the team he needs to be taken out of the firing line.

saintKlopp likes this.
  5. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

He cost you 3 points at Bournemouth and 2 on Sunday.

If you're happy with that, then sound <ok>

6. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Of course not happy about that but do we get the points back if we pretend Stekelenburg, Stones, Bravo etc. haven't cost their teams more points?

7. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

lol just Karius?

8. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Mostly yeah. The freekick on Sunday, and the poor starting position for the 2nd.

The spill that gifted Bournemouth their winner combined with some less than great keeping for the other 3....

Without those **** ups you'd have won both games.

Just sayin....

9. Mr Beej

Mr Beej Well-Known Member

So C
    So Clyne gets a free ride for not covering Matip and allowing the West Ham attacker to run on unimpeded? Not saying Karius is blameless but there's enough blame to go around.

10. Jimmy Squarefoot

Nah the 'pundits' only saw Karius's errors which means that's all other fans take notice off now. Media narrative and all that ...

11. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

But that's the issue. ..he made mistakes in the lead up to all those goals but so did a half dozen other players...they're getting away Scott free via the pundits..importantly and the difference is its Klopps job to recognise the 2 or three things that went wrong for those goals..he's just not going to single out the one of 3 players at fault simply because after him the ball is in the net.

That would be poor coaching on his part...even great keepers like de gea are picking the ball out of the net eventually if in front of them is ignored...

12. Jimmy Squarefoot

Against West Ham, I actually would agree but to say it's all down to him against Bournemouth is just totally wrong. There was a comedy of errors in front of him that day.

13. saintKlopp

I would agree with most of this.
    However, De Gea has pulled his dodgy defence out of the **** more times than I can count over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

14. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Oh I know. .and that's what makes him better than most, certainly better than Karius. But even despite that, he conceded enough to have the entire team fail. the fact he is so good makes it obvious where the problem is.

How many De Gea's are there though? The reality is we will for the near future always have a just under top level keeper so more likely to make mistakes.

Is it easier to find a solid combination at back four or in midfield than to find a world class keeper that can do that extra bit to cover the weaknesses in front of him?

I think Karius has shown before us that he can be "good" not excellent...so needs more in front of him...can't think of a keeper we can get that will be better than "good" for the moment.

Jimmy Squarefoot and saintKlopp like this.
  15. saintKlopp

Again, I agree to a point. Obviously there is an interaction between a keeper and his defence, but there are also times when a keeper just has to be able to do the job which is his alone regardless of those in front of him.
    I would never blame a keeper for not being able to rescue a bad situation that his defence has dropped him in, but there are basic things he must get right most of the time.

16. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

For goodness sake Tobes <doh>.......you're better than this.

One was a penalty and another was bought down and buried in the corner,which no keeper in the world would have got close to.

Criticise by all means, but be honest ffs <ok>

17. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

I remember that at the time and thinking wth. Problem is, they were moaning because he was down low saying it made him have further to reach... ignoring the fact that by getting lower it gave him more spring to get up high (clearly easier to jump when knees are bent more!) but also if the ball goes low it takes less time for keeper to get down low and stop compared to if they're standing bolt upright.

Jimmy Squarefoot and organic red like this.
  18. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Problem is it's dead central so makes it easier for player to go either side so he should probably be a bit further over. Saying all that he got hands to it, if he had stronger wrists would have saved it and wouldn't be having this convo.

19. moreinjuredthanowen

Anyone who's an lfc fan who won't admit that its been coming and he's been getting away with stuff thus far either hasn't been paying attention of just doesn't want to admit it.

Oh and keeper organises the wall... if the wall has a huge gap in it its his fault.

I don't think his position on second is at fault. its hard to say whether its star tthere and be assuming the CB totally ****s it up OR if he rushed out to early and made it easy. thats opinion really and it all cos the pundits are lining up to have a go.

the MINUTE he opened his gob and attacked neville a queue of pundits waiting for a slip up formed and he immediately ****ed up that free kick. everything else added on is just gravy.

20. BobbyD

BobbyD President

doesn't matter if its dead centre or not. It's not like he's glued to his post. I know if a keeper ever gets beaten on his side then you will have a go at them, especially if they gamble towards the side that the wall is protecting. The whole point of the wall is that its there to block the wall and if it goes in on that side its not necessarily the keepers fault. Admittedly the ball wasn't exactly side netting but it was pretty close to the corner. I don't see how karius is getting the blame here

johnsonsbaby likes this.