1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jose Mourinho - 1 year on

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, May 27, 2017.

1. Matth_2014

Matth_2014 Well-Known Member

We appointed him as manager a year ago today, I just want to know how we've done under him, For me, He's done a superb job considering the squad he inherited, Too many players in there, And to get 2 trophies as well is nothing short of remarkable.

2. Sir Tennisball

Sir Tennisball Well-Known Member

We've done well in the cups but the league was poor, so from the league perspective I'd say Mourinho under performed and would certainly not say he's done a superb job.
    We easily have one of the strongest squads (note I didn't say first XI) in the league, along with City.
    We have a bigger and stronger squad than Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool.

Given the fact that Mourinho knows the league inside out he should have adapted quicker than the other new managers (Conte, Guardiola) so in my opinion we should have at least challenged for the title.
    His big signing (Pogba) should also have adapted to English football much quicker than he did considering he came from our academy and then set the world alight at Juve.
    He did not seem to have a clear idea of what his strongest team or formation was during the first half of the season.

For the next season he needs to fix many issues I have with him from this season:
    1) get more goals from the team, we had way too many draws where we couldn't break down a weaker opponent.
    2) get more from Pogba (consistently), find out the best way to use him.
    3) Either back Luke Shaw and get the best out of him, or get a proper left footed full back with pace. Our left side has no pacey left footed players to bomb down the wing and attack apart from Shaw, the wingers cut in on their right foot and the other full backs are left footed but more defensive minded and not great attacking threats.

3. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Nothing short of remarkable!

4. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We've had a good season, but not a superb one imo. After three years of badly underperforming, allied to ineffective and negative football, I think it was always too early to expect a title challenge. Particularly consider how far ahead of us other clubs have gotten over the same period.

The aims for this season, imo, were to win a trophy, quality for the CL and build towards a title challenge next year. First two have been done, as for the third, it remains to be seen. Our finishing position suggests not, but I think that is masked by Mourinho's disregard for the league in favour of the EL from April onwards. Fourth place was there for the taking, and even third was within reach, but he chose to go for the EL instead, a risky decision but one which has paid off pretty handsomely.

Next season he will need to show he can push onwards and upwards to challenge for the league. That's how this season should be judged - we have won more trophies than anyone, but it counts for little if we are still scrapping for the top four next year rather than looking towards a title win.

5. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

I don't think we can use our league performance to predict our prospects for next season. First our 6th is really a false position because as long ago as early April JM had already given up on trying to challenge for 4th despite many refusing to believe it. But more importantly the main determinant whether we could challenge is how well the players gel and how effective they are at getting 3 points rather than building on the previous year's performance. Leicester and Chelsea were very very far off the top 4 but they did win because they hit upon their best team. Chelsea for example hit upon their best formation after a few bad defeats and conte deciding to go for a back 3.

I honestly believe that JM has to do it the next season. Ok, he could blame some unforeseen bad luck in dropping points at home this season when in many most circumstances he should have won. But he has now got the opportunity to rectify this and realistically he will/should be in big trouble if United are not at least very close to the title.

That is why I would classify this season as a good first season and no more . 2 out of 4 trophies have to be congratulated. Many clubs have gone for years without a single one. In the worst 3 years since the early 90s united have won 3 Cups in (FA League and Europa) yet they have been mercilessly pilloried. It shows how high the expectations are for the club.

6. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

He got lucky with the Europey having a lack of strong teams, but it's better to be lucky than good, considering the money spent it hasn't been a good season, but it has been a consolidating one. I think he has to challenge for the title next season or you'll be finding another manager. He won't play attractive football though, that's not how he wins titles, and the board won't care how he wins as long as he does. He'll turn you into the Chelsea you derided so much, not that I think any of you will care if he delivers titles, I wouldn't either.

7. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

The best manager recognises the opportunities and the threats. As far back as February he recognised that the Europa was winnable, with "lack of strong teams" if you wish and more likely to be the entrance to CL. However it seemed that he carried out competing for top 4 until he realised that going for it too jeopardised the Europa as his players were going down like ninepins. Now our fans here recognised he took the right decision.

I have no doubt that he will make a better fist of the title challenge next season. Paradoxically I think he will go after his contract if he wins the title. Unless he plays more attractive football. He will have given United what we wanted but it would be up to someone else to build on the solid base.