1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ivan Gazidis suggests Gunners won't be looking to spend big this summer

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Jul 22, 2016.

1. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

A proven PL player of his age, he could be one of the best attacking midfielders in the world. Double that figure.

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I think we should be going all out to get Mahrez, what he did in the PL last season was incredible.

3. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

He's a superb player and if you lot are going to spend it would be a good start, the asking price will be huge though.

4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I agree. I'd rather spend £50m+ on Mahrez than £79m on Higuain !

5. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Gazidis in 2013 : We are beginning to see the escalation of our financial firepower
    Gazidis in 2016: We cannot outgun our rivals financially, in the transfer market

This guy is a melt

6. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Someone needs to muzzle him. All it does is antagonise the fans. Better for him to keep quiet and stick to the balance sheets.

7. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

#bilic said someone big will be missing the top four this season, I think we know who he was talking about now.
    Someone should ask Gazidis when the season ticket price will drop!

8. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Just No.

Mahrez is a good player but.. he's only had one top quality Season in his career soo far. There's no guarantee he can repeat last Seasons performance. For 50m he could be an absolutely terrible signing. He wasnt particularly impressive in the Championship or Ligue 2 in France.

Higuain on the other hand has smashed in the goals absolutely everywhere he's been.

9. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Man City?

10. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I think history should tell you not to bet against Arsenal getting top 4. I can see City and United taking the other two slots with either Chelsea or Spurs taking the other spot. But that is going with the established favorites and i think the coming season will have plenty of unpredictability ahead of it. I think any of those 5 teams can win the league, with Liverpool having an outside chance if Klopp gets them playing the way he wants them to play.

There are no outstanding team in the league at the moment so whoever plays with the most consistency will win.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

After the damning criticism of only buying Cech last summer, and not buying a decent CF (or any outfield player), I am absolutely amazed if this article on Gazidis is true.

How the **** do they (the ppl running your club) get away with it <laugh>

While we ALL know the answer to Arsenal's problem & what they need to do to win the league again, as a rival fan I am so ****ing pleased you have a bunch of self-serving deluded idiots running the club who seem intent on not doing the bleedin' obvious.

Lovearsenalcock and Bodinki like this.
  12. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Hear hear. As another rival I feel the same.
    Been saying for years that I fear the day Arsenal get a new manager

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It's a double edged sword tbf. After what happened to United after 26 years of Fergie. I think what I fear is Arsene growing a brain ... and some balls <laugh>

14. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Difference is though , is that Fergie was winning league titles until his final year. He never went 12 years without a league title

15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Fair point, but I think it's more about how institutionalised the staff and systems and regimes become within the club with a manager that's been there 20+ years. That's the real problem Arsenal will have to get over once Wenger leaves. They could go backwards massively.

Maybe they need to, to move forward but that could mean missing out on "the last 16 of the CL" for a good few years <laugh>

16. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

<laugh> Wouldn't that be a shame. Like you said though, sometimes you need to take a step back to take two steps forward. You are right though, its as much the boards fault as it is Wengers. You can say they are giving him money to spend and he just isn't spending it, but at the end of the day if they are unhappy about that they could just sack him and they havent so they obviously are not too fussed what the team achieve as long as the books are balanced.
    Which, I think, as a football club, is a horrendous way to look at things

Treble likes this.
  17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

<ok>

What's even more amazing is that there are plenty of gooners who've been brainwashed to believe this is the purpose of a football club!

Bodinki likes this.
  18. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Well that's partly the medias fault. There is so much emphasis these days on how much a club spends, how much they paid for this player and that player, what wage player x is getting etc.

20 years ago we didn't give a ****. We just cheered our team on, it was all about what happened in 90 minutes on the pitch.