1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It must be nice never loosing out

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Tim Kruls Zulu Shield (:), Feb 2, 2011.

1. Tim Kruls Zulu Shield (:)

Just thinking the other day that it must be nice being a liverpool, chelsea, manchester utd fan becuase you never seem to loose out, you sell your best player and then before you can say long haired tosser Carrol and Suarez walk in the door.
    i know we are a smaller club than liverpool, even though the squads havent got much between them, but it seems that us smaller teams such as newcastle, sunderland, west ham and villa seem to loose our best players far too easily. you may say its down to money and funds and wages but that cant always be the case, it may be down to trophies, again not always the case.
    take Carrol for example, he's at newcastle, he's our hero, he's our number 9. now he didnt leave becuase of wages becuase 6 months down the line he would be on 80k a week at newcastle, its not becuase of trophies becuase liverpool wont be winning any soon, as much as they think they will be, becuase there are 6 better teams than them in the premier league, its not about champions league becuase you wont be getting there anytime soon.
    so what is it all about, what would make you leave the club you support an love, what would make you leave 52,000 fans a week chanting your name, being the next alan shearer to go to a club which on a whole thinks you are over rated and over paid, and fans that will get on your back after 3 bad results becuase your not thier hero your just another player.
    yes liverpool may have a huge history behind them but that is behind them and lets be honest your never going to find another gerrard to lead your team, just like were never going to find another shearer to lead ours.
    i wish i knew why he left us becuase i cant see it, he wasnt pushed out, he wasnt forced to go, and i hate to say it but i hope he fails at liverpool becuase we didnt deserve the way he left us and he doesnt deserve to call himself a newcastle fan, i hope you enjoy your £35m striker, and yes he's a damn good player but he's a backstabbing thug, and i could'nt think of a better place for him

2. iToons

iToons Member

In too deep here mate... he was never gonna get 80k with us but £35m, Ashley might have pushed him out the door. We dont know what goes on really, just speculation. Carroll didn't go to liverpool cause of the club. He went for the money and cause they were the only team in for him. I very much doubt he planned it out weeks before. It's not like he had a choice of teams to pick from. Liverpool clearly ambitious, false hope these days maybe cause yes they have quality strikers now but midfield is still crap, defence even more so which is why I cant see them advancing, until next season at the very least.

3. Tim Kruls Zulu Shield (:)

every club has a markee player on the books, paying your top striker high wages makes sence, if everyone else is on 50k or less then it makes sence to pay your top stiker 80k, its bad business not to

4. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm we don't really have beef with Liverpool. I don't blame them for wanting AC. He won't fail and I admire the business they have done. Torres was injury prone and they have landed 2 of the hottest properties in world football for a gross of 8 million. Jealous?? Yes. But to have a go at them is pointless. Supporting NUFC is a ride. Mainly downs but we are used to it. Dust yourself down and get on with it!

5. iToons

iToons Member

To be fair... Liverpool get rid of one greedy money grabbing **** and end up with another.

6. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Member

Liverpool aren't to blame in any of this

Once again it's 100% Newcastle creating 100% Newcastle drama

7. Tim Kruls Zulu Shield (:)

i didnt blame liverpool for anything, i just used them as an example, there the same as any top team, like man u the rooney signed, he was **** for like 5 matches in a row and they all hates him, exactly the same situation.

8. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

No point having a go at Liverpool about this. They are probably wondering what this is doing on their page cos really they are all Newcastle issues. We were all gutted that he left, but he's gone now. I don't think he was pushed. Don't think he planned it either. He saw the dollar signs and decided he wanted some of that. I don't like it, but at 22 its quite a temptation. If he had to go anywhere then at least he's gone to a team with proper supporters. We need to dust ourselves down, forget about Carroll and think about the players we do have and the game they have at Fulham. It sucks, but it is what it is.

9. Noblelox

Noblelox Well-Known Member

You just don't get it do you? It is called "Institutional Memory" You call it Liverpool living on past glories, because you all hope and pray that Liverpool have fallen. The truth is, your team, no matter which one that is are playing Liverpool in a European cup match that goes to penalties, what do you think? Do you think "well it's going to be random luck here, anyone can win" or do you think "bugger this is Liverpool, they have a +90% success rate in penalty shoot-outs" Now the players who won those first cups on penalties now sit on TV couches talking rubbish, yet Liverpool will still be fancied in a penalty shoot-out, 30 years on with only the home ground and the colour of the kit staying the same. That history is vital. That history fills in the holes in a players confidence. Liverpool get to a Champion's League final, the job is half done, the players don't have to believe that they have to win the cup, the can prop themselves up with the understanding that Liverpool will always stand a good chance of winning it, even if they have gone a couple of goals down, no problem for Liverpool. A mountain to climb for 11 players, but for Liverpool, you don't bet against it. That is why a player will sign for Liverpool, because this club wins things.

Football is psychological warfare. Andy Carroll is now 100% safe from getting demoted in May, but why would that be? him and his team mates stand just as much chance of going down this season as Newcastle, but Liverpool don't, it just can't happen, it won't happen, it is impossible, and for those 11 men to walk onto that pitch thinking that means they can go out and play.

While on the other hand, Newcastle, only just up from the Championship, they are not a team of footballing superstars, they have just lost their best player, their owner is a moron, the manager gets players sold out from under him, even though it was a condition of him taking the job, who is going to have any respect for him, the owner just walks all over him, why should the players believe in him? All that weighing down on the players minds as they walk onto the pitch? What hope do they have? yet compare the players stats, they won't be a world apart from Liverpool's players, meters covered, average speed, passes completed... many of these figures will probably show that on a player per player basis, there is not much between each team, but be honest, who will be playing in Europe next year, and who will be in the Championship again?

"Institutional Memory" is everything in this game.

10. Arfa's Left Foot

Arfa's Left Foot Active Member

Institutional memory??

Same as we were in the Champions League and UEFA cup a few years back, finished 4th, 3rd and 5th in the early 00's. So in January 2009 most people thought we were too big to go down. We went down. Leeds were in a European semi final. Couple of years later? They went down. Twice. Big names don't mean good results. Who'll be in Europe? Not Newcastle but not Liverpool. Who'll go down? Not Liverpool. And yes i now fear we will, but in all honesty i doubt we will. Ben Arfa, Barton, Enrique, Tiote, Nolan, Coloccini and the rest all have enough about them to stay up.

11. Jalisco Red

Jalisco Red Member

I kind of agree with Noblelox here. In football, the name 'Liverpool' just has a greater significance, to more people, than does the name 'Newcastle'. It might be history, but history means a lot, and maybe you can't blame an ambitious young player like Carroll for wanting to help recreate it and make a little bit of his own (if that's his reason for leaving).

Doesn't make it any easier to take for Newcastle fans though, I admit …

12. Rumsfeld

Rumsfeld Member

So you're saying Andy Carroll was in the right because he wanted to join the "Guys who always win".

13. HowayTheLads

HowayTheLads Active Member

The guys who used to always win.

14. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

OMG, has Mike Ashley bought us?

But seriously, Newcastle have been there and could be there again. Famous fans, like Liverpool, don't go away.

Losing out? (not loosing, I hate that.) We lost out on so many players Rafa wanted but was forced to compromise on by Hicks and Gillett. Not even marquee players but the strategic mid-range ones Rafa identified, like Downing, where we had to take Riera instead.

Buying Barry did make sense - he scored twice as many as Alonso and had just formed a very good partnership with Gerrard for England after McLaren dropped Lampard and turned results around. Rafa saw a left hand side of Barry and Keane. (Bellamy would later be City's best player with Barry behind him.) But we ended up with Keane and no Barry for the want of £1.5m. Rafa would rather have had just Barry but the whole mess cost us Alonso and he blamed Rafa, despite the fact we only got one offer of £12m for him when he was first up for sale.

Mascherano wanted to leave because Mrs Masch was glum and wanted glam. Aquilani was given away just as he looked like £20m's worth of flair. We've lost out plenty.

We got rid of Hicks and Gillett. When Mike Ashley is gone Newcastle might get back to where they belong.

15. Frank_Pingel_Legend

Frank_Pingel_Legend Active Member

I feel all this arguing over which team has the greatest history is over-complicating the issue. The main reason Carroll left was because Liverpool made an absolutely insane offer, in the knowledge that they were losing Torres for another insane fee, which Newcastle couldn't refuse. If they were going to re-invest the money in the team, it wouldn't be so bad. But we all know that isn't going to happen.

16. Aldridge_Prior

Aldridge_Prior Active Member

THIS!!!^^ 100% agree! Hit the nail on the head, wasn't too long ago when we were causing upset taking other teams best players like o'brien, bellamy, milner, woodgate n,zogbia. Whether they're at bigger clubs or not is irrelevant. It's football, I'm used to it. Anyone remember Andy Cole?

17. Tio-Tio-Tiote

Tio-Tio-Tiote Member

Noblelox

That was the biggest piece of pure GASH I've ever read. If your players can't play together you can easily be relegated, I think you're forgettin the pathetic start to the season Liverpool had. Get off your high horse - no one is too big to get relegated.

18. Whitchester Mag

Yeah I agree with Tio-Tio-Tiote here. Leeds are a fantastic example of a club 'too big to go down' going down (twice). If you don't have the right team credentials in this day and age ANYONE could go down. Maybe not twenty years ago...