1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is Rooney a Man Utd legend?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by BigFox, Jan 21, 2017.

?

Is Rooney a Man Utd legend?

1. Yes - might even be a statue of him one day

2. No - he has done his job and nothing more

3. Meh - don't care and I'm only voting to join in the crowd

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

The only option for Rooney to remain on the same pay structure next season is if he stays put with us until his contracts up, or he goes to China or America, as no club in England or even Europe will be stupid enough to offer him the money he is currently on.

His current market value is a lot less than the current 250k a week he is on. Some would say he's only worth half that money, where as I would say it's more like a quarter, compared with what others are earning.

I think Rooney and his agent have played a blinder in getting as much money out of the club as they could, especially when the last contract was signed when he was a player in decline. I still can't believe the club agreed to pay him those wages, especially after SAF had seen him as surplus to requirements a few months earlier :biggrin:

2. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Course not...the Rooney obsession train has a lot longer to run yet...

3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Of Rooney's 250 goals, only 1 was assisted by Paul Scholes. Very surprising. One more thing that undermines the achievement :(

4. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not sure how it undermines it - if anything it shows how well Rooney has done to get the record without needing that much help from Scholesy.

Tbh I can think of at least three times Rooney has assisted Scholes' goals as well. Says a lot about his quality over the years when our top scorer isn't just a poacher but a creator as well.

Style likes this.
  5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

My tongue in cheek sarcasm is lost on here, Swarbs :(

I did find that stat quite interesting.

Scholes, now there is a legend <whistle>

6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

He wouldn't get in my all time United 11 though so not really sure.

Or was that sarcasm all along?

7. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

<laugh> If only he'd scored 250 goals eh?

I'm excited honest, I tingle at Rooney's awesomeness. I think we should ban anyone who questions that in any way.

8. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think you're just generally lost on here mate ;)

It's an interesting stat, although less so when you consider Scholes is only credited with 59 assists from almost 700 games at Utd. Fewer in the PL than RVP, Young, Valencia, Nani, Berbatov and Ronaldo depending on what stats you read.

He was generally the fella who created the chance for the assistee rather than the scorer. In fact, if you look at Rooney's 100+ assists from his career, a whole lot of those were also created by a pass from Scholes helping him get into position to play a final ball. Would also be interesting to see how many of the assists Giggs, Ronaldo and Nani were a result of Scholes finding them wide in space.

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

<ok>

10. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Rooney has achieved what he set out to do. Break the record. Now let's forget about it and like JM said he is now an ordinary player like any other. Competing with the others for a single postion and selected on the basis of form. The fact that he is being paid more than he is worth should not be JM's or anyone's problem. he screwed the maximum money out of the club at a time it was vulnerable. That's gone. We wish he didn't do it but not every one is a Charlton or a Scholes with extraordinary loyalty to the club.

Forget Rooney. He is now one of the squad. I would play him today and in all the cups.

Treble likes this.

11. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Very strong rumours that Rooney will be leaving for China within the next month (their transfer window closes end of Feb).

Do you think that you will sign a replacement today or do you have enough strength in depth in the #10 position?

12. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

If he goes (and I doubt he will) then we have plenty of cover - our midfield is overcrowded. JM will wait until the Summer and hopefully put in a bid for the Greezyman - plenty of movement and pace, an ideal fit.

13. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can't see him leaving mid season. For all the obsession about his decline in recent years, he's still the only play we have to be in double figures for assists this season, despite no longer being first choice. If he does move it will be in the summer when we can get a replacement.

If he moved now the window is closed then we would be seriously putting our EL and top four chances at risk. Can't see Mourinho even considering that for a second, no matter the money on offer.