1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is any footballer really worth £100,000,000?

Discussion in 'Watford' started by hornethologist a.k.a. theo, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

At some point in our murky pasts we've all come from abroad...

2. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Not sure that Barcelona and Real Madrid are 'as guilty as any other' Leo. From the last completed summer window, Man. City and Man. Utd were the largest spenders in Europe - from the top 10 spenders, Real Madrid were on place 10, and Barcelona were not on the list (neither were Bayern Munich) - those clubs do not normally go on spending sprees, but rather have selected targets in ones and twos. The biggest difference between the Premiership and other European leagues is in the sphere of club ownership - it is simply easier for a playboy millionaire to buy his way into British football. Real Madrid and Barcelona are both owned by their fans (the latter have around 120,000 shareholders), Athletic Bilbao are more or less run as a cooperative, and in the rest of Spain fan ownership is on the increase, backed by the government there. In Germany you have the 51% ruling whereby no one individual can own more than 49% of the shares in a club, or take more than 49% out of it. I would go further here and ask whether 'clubs' like Chelsea, Man. City etc. are really 'clubs' in any real sense of the word.

andytoprankin likes this.
  3. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

The agent for Pogba has set a new world record (and earned himself £25m)
    All agents for the top players will be trying to get to £110m or even higher to prove they are the best, the players are just chattels to be used and sold on, in exchange for a huge salary of course
    Luther was the first player Watford sold for £1m probably the equal of £100m now, was he worth it? No, was he worth the £500k we paid to get him back, yes he was
    The next glass ceiling to smash through will be £200m, how long will that take?
    It is not real money any more, just digits in electronic bank accounts and as long as the digits coming in equal or exceed those going out everyone is happy, especially the government if tax is paid in the correct amounts
    We have all played and enjoyed Monopoly, the premier league is Monopoly with teams and players instead of streets and hotels
    The question is how long can it last as an ever expanding universe?

andytoprankin likes this.
  4. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

A fact that is mentioned by the commentator almost every time one of their matches is live on Sky, as is the fact that they had to change to Atletico Bilbao when Franco was in charge of Spain and changed it back when he was deposed.

5. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Still not worth £100 million but Pogba did make Man U look a lot better tonight than at any stage last season!

6. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

I actually feel a bit sorry for him in a way as whatever happens the bloke will be looked at as "overpriced"

Would say he probably has the cocky confidence to do well though and shrug off the price tag.

7. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

I agree with some of what you both say. <ok>
    The money in the Premier League is just mind blowing. In time that £100m will look like obviously good business I think. I know it's absurd, I know it's 'wrong', but that's how it is.

8. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

Should he help them win the league then they will think it was money well spent

9. andytoprankin

Before Leicester ****ed up everyone's perceived wisdom ;), I would've said that there seems to be a critical mass of expensive but astute signings necessary to attract others of value to your club and thus win the league. Ibrohimovic and Pogba have the sort of weight to do that, I think. Like the weight of Pep's name, or Jose, too, of old, perhaps not so much now.

10. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

The way that city has been bossing Manchester united for the last few years, They had to show there fans that they want to be the No 1 club in the city again

11. andytoprankin

I think that's dead right.