1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Ipswich Town @ Portman Road 27/8/2016

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Aug 24, 2016.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

North End clock up another top mileage for this one, having already been to Reading and QPR, the fixture list sends us on another epic trip to darkest Suffolk to take on Ipswich Town.
    Coming off the back of a decent win at Loftus Road last Saturday, North End will hope for the same against big Mick's team. Town in 13th place at the moment with five points drew their last match against their bitter rivals Norwich 1 all with a goal by Knudsen on the stroke of half time.
    Form has been a bit in and out this season, they started with a good win over newly promoted Barnsley with Grant Ward scoring a hat trick on his debut, there followed a League Cup defeat against Stevenage which Mick described as disgraceful(they could not score past Jamie Jones a rarity) lost at Brentford and drew with Wolves.
    Mick has been given some stick by the home crowd for performances this season, but Town are a bit like us in some respects do not have silly money to spend on players.
    Last season drew at their gaff with Johnson and Murphy both scoring in the first half, the second half was memorable for Town not being awarded a penalty when Huntington decided to play keeper when led on the floor.
    The last time we played at Portman Road about this time in the year was in 2005, the game was televised and we ran out 4-1 winners with a certain David Nugent scoring two.
    Squad wise for Town Murphy is always a danger, McGoldrick, Seers and Brad I always score against Preston Pitman vying for places up front, Douglas is still in and about the team and he always guarenteed to kick a few when playying. Typical Mick side no frills get the job done.
    Baring injuries North End will return to the side that did well last Saturday, however Lindegaard and Robinson are carrying injuries, Pringle got crocked last night interesting to note Marnick Vermijl was at our league cup tie.

Town last three LDD
    PNE last three LWW

Town's next three Reading A Derby A Aston Villa H
    PNE next three Barnsley H Cardiff H Brentford A

Not due to go to this but as cricket ground was underwater on Monday there could be a last minute visit.

2. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

To put a positive spin on it we are only five points off the play offs, however thankfully due to the inability of the Venky boys still next to bottom. The natives are getting restless in the PR postcode area and demanding mega signings before Wednesday, we still need a right back and someone else with pace up front or wide, however as we are still in August there is no need to panic just yet.
    Sounds like it was not the best of performances yesterday, good finish by Ward though.
    The next two games after the international break are at home a place where we have not won a league game for nearly seven month. A good time for a break,chance to sort of problems on the training ground, anyway here's what the respectivebosses said.

Ipswich manager Mick McCarthy:

"I thought we were excellent today. We played really well in the first half and then we stood up to a right scrap in the second half - it was a real bloke's performance.

"Daryl Murphy put in a transfer request and my view is you don't stand in the way of someone who wants to leave.

"It is great move for him and he has been terrific for us so I wish him well. It is a great bit of business for the club and we will reinvest and get other players in."

Preston manager Simon Grayson:

"I am disappointed as you know when you come to Portman Road and play against a Mick McCarthy side, you have to compete and battle.

"We lost too many individual battles and not enough players played to the standard that I know they are capable of.

"There was not a great deal in the game but we didn't do enough, on or off the ball, to get anything out of it.

"I am hoping to strengthen. I have given a list of names to the owner and I am hoping to tick some people off. It is going to be a crazy three or four days through all the divisions."