1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Impact of Brexit on Inflation/Jobs

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by JM Fan, Mar 22, 2017.

1. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

No your'e right much more platable selling it to the Germans or the French, but to be fair that's a whole different arguement.

2. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Well it isn't of course, but that wasn't my point.

We're desperate to have our country back, and yet...

3. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

We do need outside investment and if isn't the Arabs it'll be the Chinese and Russians...Oh Wait!! <doh>

4. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Gandy's already made my point. Especially bearing in mind that this is from a country renowned for widespread human rights abuses etc.

Ultimately, they're simply taking advantage of cheap UK due to the fall of the pound - you're essentially pointing to a bunch of vultures circling and saying "see, lots of wildlife, everything must be just grand!"

5. carrowcanario

The UK economy will go to rat **** if we vote to leave the EU. It didn't. The recession hasn't hit yet cause we delayed invoking article 50 for 9 months it's going to get much worse after Brexit. But people / companies are still investing in the UK, which suggests they think things are going to improve, otherwise they would wait for things to get worse. They're only doing that cause we're cheap UK. Anyway they're the wrong type of investor and have a bad human rights record. Well I'm sure plenty of people that would say that buy cheap products from, for example, China instead of buying British.

DUNCAN DONUTS, KIO and JM Fan like this.
  6. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

The labour bloke on question time last night sounds exactly like Rick Stein.

7. johnnywarksmoustache

Yeah he came across as being very fishy!

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.
  8. ncgandy

please log in to view this image

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  9. Canary Rob

<laugh>

This sounds rather like someone sulking because they've realised all those responses are actually valid points. Buying products from China is not the same as the Chinese buying our property etc.

Ultimately, we'll see. As I said above, I accept I was wrong about us going into an actual recession. However, just about every other prediction given by the experts has come to pass already (and we haven't brexited yet). I honestly hope I am and they are wrong that this is going to be a disaster for the most vulnerable. However, hearing David Davis and co. declaring we're going to make ourselves a tax haven is, truly (even though it might benefit me personally), my very worst fear and I would be astonished if any of the fervent brexiters on here really want that either.

10. carrowcanario

Well surely it is, We traded with the Arabs (& other countries with bad human rights records) before we were in the EU, whilst we've been in the EU and looks like we'll trade with them after we leave the EU. So really whether or not we trade with these countries isn't really a Brexit issue. Not that all countries within the EU have a great human or indeed animal rights records. And I really don't understand the arguement that it's okay to buy things from countries with bad human rights records, but not sell them anything, indeed if anything it should be the other way round, because we can control the circumstances under which the things we produced here are made, whilst we are unlikely to have very little influence on the way things are produced in these countries.

But I guess that people will want to make everything a Brexit issue. Just like people seem to think the increase in inflation is down solely to Brexit, it isn't of course as the decision of the OPEC cartel and non OPEC countries to lower production and fixed prices has also had a significant impact amongst other things. Of course it you only factored in Brexit the BOE probably wouldn't even have hits it's 2% target it been aiming for for and hasn't hit since January 2014.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017

11. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Happy #Brexit Day !

The British are not fools Monsieur Monnet

Oh you bloody think so Vivianne !

12. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

13. Canary Rob

You're confusing buying goods from them with them buying and controlling parts of the UK. They're two very different economic relationships.

Except that you brought it up as a Brexit issue!

You're exaggerating the OPEC impact. The OPEC cartel fixed prices low for too long (trying to put fracking out of business) by deliberately over-producing, but they haven't fully dropped it. Of course, there are always other causes of oil price changes, but the significant rise in oil prices in the U.K. recently is by far and away predominantly a function of the fall in the pound as we do not produce all our own oil. This is inevitable, given the pound has dropped c.20% and even oil dollar prices haven't moved that quickly recently.

It hasn't hit the 2% target because it's well below! Christ I know we're going to have our cake and eat it but you can't have everything both ways!

14. carrowcanario

Just for those that only have a very limited understanding of economics. The target of 2% inflation is a target because some inflation is positive to an economy. So 2% is a target to be hit, to be under the target is just as much a failure as to be over and the further away from the target you get in any direction (above or below) the bigger the failure.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  15. carrowcanario

Just for clarity this was brought up as a Brexit issue because it showed that countries outside the inward looking EU were still willing to invest in the UK post Brexit and that Brexit had no influence on that decision. It just shows that countries outside the EU bubble still have faith in the UK, even if a lot of remoaners don't. It had nothing to do with the human rights record of any country we traded with, hence my comment "but to be fair that's a whole different arguement", which of course it is.

16. Canary Rob

Yes, which was why the other response was that it is actually indicative of investors taking advantage of extremely favourable exchange rates, rather than positivity about the UK (given that it still represents a drop in average annual investment from Qatari Diar and co). I agree the focus on public policy relating to foreign ownership of UK based assets is a different argument, but it's still relevant if an unintended consequence and measure of Brexit's success is unwanted foreign investment... As I said, you can't have it both ways.

It's not really about faith in the UK though - I have faith in the UK, not as a global power but as generally a wealthy nation. I'm confident I will be fine, I think even London will be fine. However, I don't think it's right for me to be content with me being fine - I am strongly of the opinion that our society benefits from caring about the impact on others. And the impact on people outside London is likely to be extremely unpleasant, unless we can get a very favourable trade deal. But if we get a very favourable trade deal, we won't have had a hard, red white and blue, Brexit. It will be a soft boiled Brexit. So there really won't be any winners.

17. ncgandy

I didn't mean it wasn't a different argument <ok>

carrowcanario likes this.
  18. johnnywarksmoustache

We are the biggest market in Europe for the German Car Industry for example so I cant see them wanting to cut off their noses to spite their face! The same goes for many other industries based on the Continent, They would not want to see punitive measures imposed on us once we have formally left the EU. The German Automobile industry holds a lot of clout politically in Germany so lets not underestimate the strength of our own hand going into these negotiations. <ok>

KIO and carrowcanario like this.
  19. Canary Rob

We've heard that one before. The German car industry has been lobbying Merkel and co to lower sanctions on Russia for years to no avail. The German finance minister spoke to representatives and ironically, many in the German car industry are keen to punish the UK (with car tariffs, as it will damage their principal competitors on the continent, with our Nissan factories etc). So this is wishful thinking, though of course there will be plenty of interest groups lobbying (e.g. don't think for a moment that the City of London haven't been lobbying our government hard from behind the scenes, trying to undermine Brexit at every possible opportunity).

In any event, as I alluded to above, I'm not sure you'd necessarily want the type of trade deal the German car industry will be lobbying for (which would likely include some element of free movement of people so that they can sell cars in person...)

Anyway, from the only member of our current Ministry of No Talents with even an ounce of competence (shame he messed up on NICs really), Philip Hammond:
    'And I think the fact that we have set that out very clearly has sent a clear signal to our European partners that we understand that we can’t cherry pick, that we can’t have our cake and eat it, that by deciding to leave the European Union and negotiate a future relationship with the EU as an independent nation, there will be certain consequences of that. And we accept those'

At least someone is being realistic. We have to leave, that's what was voted for. Pretending it's going to be painless or economically beneficial is just silly though.

20. Canary Rob

The EU have apparently set out their stall and it's pretty brutal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...e-on-transitional-deal?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I think this is probably just opening positions though. They'll definitely negotiate, so it's just their opposite to "Red white and blue brexit which means brexit". Ultimately, it's never going to be as bad as that because that would still not be great for the EU either - they've got a lot to gain from a favourable trade deal.