1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

I'm a Monk fan, BUT...

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 29, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have to say after watching the Sutton game that Garry Monk cocked up BIG time today in my opinion.

You don't throw 9 inexperienced players together and hope for the best, but that's what I believe he did today.

Obviously it's important that you develop the youngsters, and bring them on, but you need balance.

A little bit of experience in the middle of the park in the shape of O'Kane or Bridcutt (or both) would have made the difference today.

Both those players have only played in half our games this season due to injuries, so playing 60 minutes each would not have harmed our season in any way, shape or form.

The youngsters would have learned loads from a couple of experienced players in the middle of the park.

2. ellandback

Forum Moderator

After Cooper was booked, Monk should have bought the inexperienced centre half off at half time and replaced him with Ayling.

Does anybody really think that playing a first team player for 45 minutes is really going to make ANY difference as to whether he is going to be fit to play in a mid week game?

3. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I thought McKay did ok. In fact, all the debutants did ok given the circumstances, and the lack of support around them. I think it's fair to say we played with 9 men until we went down to 8. I do not consider the contribution from Grimes & Antonsson to be worthy of consideration.

Jammy 07 likes this.
  4. ellandback

Forum Moderator

We have got rid of Mowatt, Dave and Murphy, yet we have kept Grimes.

5. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have always said Monk isn't a great coach (not yet anyway) he is learning. Today was a new formation and new set of players like you say thrown together. I haven't a problem with the back 5 starting as resting and saving Ayling, Bartley and Jansson from a possible injury is fine by me.

I didn't mind and I agree with Wood being dropped but we are where we are in the league playing 4-2-3-1 so today was a chance to see who might be able to step up to the plate with a run in and possible injuries along the way.

O'Kane has started one out the last 3-4 games, Vieira has kept him out, so why not give them half a game each. Sacko should have been on from the start with Doukara or Antonsson the loan front man. Monk did not respond quick enough when it was evident that the 4-4-2 with the players we had was not working.

With all this in mind though, we still had enough quality on the pitch to do better than that. Cambridge and Sutton, a few of our players failed to shine against such poor opposition, I said in another thread I would give Doukara a new contract if we remain in the championship but now I am not so sure. Roofe really isn't any better than an average Championship player and Antonsson, can we have a refund, like others have said, why keep Grimes, send him back now.

6. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Lack of communication from keeper, Coyle could have headed ball out, then tackled when he shouldn't have. PLAY your strongest side, Revie did and in a time when you had one sub. We won't get auto.......play offs hopefully. <ok>

7. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Silvestre showed today why he is number two, the lack of communication was clear, if either he or Green start for us next season I will be hugely disappointed.

Old Git and Irishshako like this.
  8. Whitejock

Shaks, you & I know that when you don't get an instruction from the keeper, you play safe & hoof it out. Defending 101. And are we so sure there was no communication? I don't actually know the answer to that one. Still convinced that Coyle should have cleared it, and in failing to do so, allowed Silvestri to get fouled. I really cannot fault Silvestri on this one. I would defend any keeper in that situation.

9. Whitejock

See my comment to Shaks in post #8. Am I wrong about my defending 101 comment?

10. Irishshako

This is what annoys me Ristac, he made some great saves to keep us in the game, but one mistake cost us. This had 0.0 all over it. A chance for a last 16 place.

11. Whitejock

He clearly has a better blow job technique or more incriminating pictures. <whistle>

Certainly not a better footballer.

Irishshako likes this.
  12. Irishshako

I'm blaming both WJ..<ok>

ristac likes this.
  13. Whitejock

You're blaming Silvestri for getting flattened before the ball even came to him?

The guy can't win. Watch it again, Shaks. I'll say again. 1. Coyle failed, defence 101 failure - CLEAR IT!! 2. Silvestri fouled by someone who was a yard ahead of the ball. Just crashed right in to him. Shocking refereeing decision.

OLOF and ellandback like this.
  14. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Yet people are defending Monk, why?

All that I am saying is that he should take responsibility for today.

15. Irishshako

You're talking to me not Glory...:grin: I know you have a crush on Mr Eytie<laugh> but I'm not having a go at him, although any keeper would have taken team mate and opposition out...<ok>

16. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Firstly, we should have had the quality to put 3 or 4 goals past this lot, to not score any is criminal and it is the reason we lost. I am not blaming Coyle or Silvestre for the defeat, the main reason was at least 6 of the other outfield players fault.

Whenever the camera was on Silvestre he looked as quiet as a mouse, he wasn't waving his arms frantically, he wasn't pointing or barking instructions at the defence. I thought his saves were okay but expected, if any had flew in I would have said he should have saved them.

Silvestre v Green = Equal in all departments apart from; Green better communicating and organising the back 4 and Silvestre better when it comes to confidence after a mistake. If Green lets in a howler he has lost it the rest of the game, Silvestre seems better at putting it behind him.

Like I said though, I would blame at least 6 others before pointing a finger at the defeat on these two. seven if you include Monk.

Jammy 07 likes this.
  17. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Normally keepers are the first protected...

18. Whitejock

Watch it again, frame by frame. You'll see the light. :D

Btw, his looks remind me of someone. Freddy Mercury without the moustache? :D

19. Irishshako

The only time an eytie waves his arms is either when they are making pizza dough or waving a white flag......:grin:

20. Whitejock

Good assessment. I thought the back 4 did ok, tbh, especially McKay, surprisingly - especially when left as the lone CB. Not convinced by Denton. Thought he would come through after Coyle, but he's not doing it for me, sadly. I'm not even convinced that a loan would help him, but it should be the next step.