1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If not Moyes and Short

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by haslam, Apr 13, 2017.

1. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Ok then, it seems like Short is keen to keep Moyes but if they both went and you got a reasonable (not sugar daddy) owner who would you like to come in?

Ranieri, Rowett, etc.

It's getting hard to imagine it wont be a season in the Championship but if you have someone who can develop the players (youngsters in particular) and perhaps £30m+ to spend on a few players there's enough there to build on. What do you think?

2. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

I know it's not the question but I'd kill for Roman Abramovic to get bored of the glitz and glamour of West London and develop a sudden and inexplicable love for Greggs.

I'd really like Eddie Howe but we couldn't attract him or back him well enough to do a job.

Aside from that I have no interest in our search for the next sack of **** that's been booted off the managerial merry-go-round to replace the current sack of **** we'll inevitably throw off.

Billy Death likes this.
  3. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

If I was pushed for a realistic answer I'd say look abroad. England doesn't seem to breed decent young managers anymore.

4. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Problem is they aren't necessarily the biggest pull in the Championship next season, Villa are probably going to be the biggest hitters down there, then you have the likes of Norwich, Reading, Fulham who all have PL pedigree, Leeds are starting to look the part, Huddersfield look a well drilled team, Sheff Wed and Derby look like their houses are in order, then you have two from Boro, Swansea and Hull, who will all have squads capable of promotion.

One of those teams will go up this season with Brighton and Newcastle, but still that's more competition than I've probably ever seen in that league.

There'll be a field of good managers down there, I think Benitez being down there is probably the first of many high-profile managers who will take that step, because the incentive for promotion is potentially a huge payday if their agents can structure the right deals for them.

£110m for promotion, if I get you up, I'll have 10% and then we'll discuss a new contract.

Sunderland need a manager who can bring an identity with him, a style of football they can stick to and evolve their transfer targets around instead of a mindless scatter gun approach.

Slavica Jokanovic is an option, but I doubt he'd leave Fulham for Sunderland.

haslam likes this.
  5. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

DAPARKERSAFC and haslam like this.
  6. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

7. Brian Storm

I think his increasingly bizarre press conferences have made a lot of clubs and fans cautious of him. Same with Moyes who's the opposite end of the scale, I don't care how managers handle the media, it's so far down my list of priorities of what I want from a manager it's unreal, but as this season has shown with our fans, they only really care about what they can see so good press management is a high priority to a lot of people. So I think Pearson has made himself a less attractive prospect. It's going to give a poor performing Championship club the chance a bag a manager who can really spark progression on a shoe string.

8. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

You can't argue with what he did at Leicester. He put the structure in place that Ranieri benefited from. I also like centre halves as managers coz I think they are big on organisation and structure.

The ostrich blooper at Leicester was very strange indeed, but at least he apologised publicly for it. The incident on the touchline with the Palace player was stranger still. But if the results are right then who cares.

If we had to bite the bullet with Moyes I would be fine with Pearson, but I believe that Moyes should be given a chance to rebuild us

9. Brian Storm

We're down, sacking him now would be wasted million for a club in millions of debt. This sort of activity is why the debt is increasing and why Short can't sell. I'm for Moyes staying as it aids Short in selling us quicker as it's not adding to debt. The new owners will bring their own man in, they usually do. This club is going nowhere with Short at the helm imo, so severance pay off after severance pay off is pointless to the point of damaging when the next bloke comes in and fails and get ousted to.

FTM Dave likes this.
  10. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

If Huddersfield don't go up then I would want your owner to go all out for Wagner, I think he's a fantastic young manager. He rightfully gained the manager of the season award for the Championship and it wasn't a close-run thing. Pearson is also a very good option, I just feel that Wagner is a top flight manager who is currently showing it in the lower leagues in a similar manner to Howe in the recent past.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Wagner would be a great shout tbh.

If Moyes goes they should go for a long term manager who has faith in youngsters as there seems to be a very decent academy there at the moment.

12. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Pearson would be an excellent appointment. I think Moyes may be still be there next season though - if Short doesn't go. I'm more and more of the opinion it is all about the players you have playing for you rather the the manager. If Moyes had Chelsea's players he'd be winning the league. Even a great manager could not make **** players good unfortunately.

13. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Pearson is a no brainer for me. Ticks all the boxes for what is required next year and is capable of managing in the Premier league