1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

I Will Only Play Players I Trust..

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Feb 24, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City boss Lee Johnson: 'The key thing for me is to pick a team I can trust at Newcastle'
    By a_stockhausen
    Bristol City suffered another defeat in the Sky Bet Championship on Wednesday

It is imperative Lee Johnson selects players he can trust when we take on Newcastle United at St James Park tomorrow.

Under fire from supporters who want him to be sacked and desperate to keep his stuttering team out of the Championship relegation zone, City's head coach knows he cannot afford another performance like the one that culminated in defeat to Fulham in midweek.

Given the manner in which a City side that included all six of Johnson's January signings surrendered against the Cottagers, changes are inevitable when the Robins return to action against the Championship leaders and promotion favourites.

please log in to view this image

Charged with the task of fielding a team that will be competitive and fight tooth and nail to achieve a result, Johnson must trust in his gut instinct and entrust his future to those he feels he can rely on to give 100 per cent to the cause.

In a clear warning to any players who might feel tempted to put their own interests ahead of those of the team, Johnson said: "What we cannot have now is ego. None of the staff or players can go into a game with any sense of ego from now onwards."

Johnson staged a meeting with his players immediately following Wednesday's 2-0 defeat to Fulham and he emerged from the Ashton Gate dressing room to deliver the following message.

He said: "There cannot be any tittle tattle and, if anyone has something to say, they have to be honest it and say openly.

"If we are going to do the dirty work, then we are going to need world class basics. By that I mean guts and the core dynamics that you need to win football matches.

"We need characters now and ability almost comes second to desire to scrap and win the inches. The players have to make sure they are in the best physical state they can be in, they need to ensure they are in charge of their own destiny in terms of their confidence and attitude and they have to be able to deliver the game plan."

He added: "We've had what can be described as a meeting and the key thing for me is to pick a team that I can trust, a team that I know will dig deep, get tight and do the basics well. The minimum standard now is to make sure we run around and do everything we can to try and get a result.

"In short, I have to pick a team at Newcastle that will give it a right go for all those Bristol City fans who are making the long trip up there. I have to pick a team that won't hide."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/the-ke...wcastle-test/story-30158815-detail/story.html

2. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Clear message but that maybe should have had that tone to it 5 or 6 games ago

3. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

"No tittle tattle, world class basics, guts and core dynamics, be in charge of their own destiny"....

Sounds good, we will beat Newscastle and survive, that's good I'm off to Sainsburys now and buy some more jam doughnuts...

4. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

If that's the case and if you believe the rumours he may struggle to get 11 players on the pitch

gdknac likes this.
  5. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I quite like the custard ones!!

6. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

In the same vein, I will only support a Manager that I can trust..

7. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

not the way forward .. it alienates the rest of the squad most of whom have arrived since he has

8. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

DOUBLE POST

9. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

What a load of corporate drivel probably made up by some soothsayer in the boardroom although I must confess Lee is starting to sound like Sir Alex - so who knows what lies ahead.

10. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Charged with the task of fielding a team that will be competitive and fight tooth and nail to achieve a result.

In a clear warning to any players who might feel tempted to put their own interests ahead of those of the team, Johnson said: "What we cannot have now is ego. None of the staff or players can go into a game with any sense of ego from now onwards."

"There cannot be any tittle tattle and, if anyone has something to say, they have to be honest it and say openly.

This tells me that there is unrest in the camp.

Redprintt likes this.

11. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Looks that way to me ROD.