1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

I Believe Steve Lansdown is a Fantastic Man.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 16, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Lee Johnson gives his most candid and honest interview yet as pressure mounts on Bristol City boss
    By a_stockhausen

Lee Johnson will quickly see his side back in action on Tuesday night in the FA Cup against Fleetwood Town

Under-pressure head coach Lee Johnson is adamant he is the right man to take us forward and deliver a brighter future for the Championship club.

And the 35-year-old former Oldham and Barnsley boss, who has seen his side lose 10 of their last 11 Sky Bet Championship matches, is confident he continues to have the full backing of majority shareholder Steve Lansdown and the Ashton Gate board of directors.

A club-record-equalling sequence of seven straight league defeats has led to some City fans calling for Johnson to be sacked just 11 months after his appointment in February last year.

Johnson met with Lansdown and chief operating officer Mark Ashton immediately after Saturday's 3-2 Severnside derby defeat to Cardiff City - which saw City drop to 19th in Championship table - and then adopted a defiant stance at the post-match press conference.

In an honest interview, he said: "I believe 100 per cent that I am the right man to turn Bristol City into the force that it has the potential to be. Nobody will work harder and nobody is more passionate about that.

"Obviously, I have full belief in my talent and so do the board as well. That is something I'm very appreciative of.

"We are still signing players and, I would add, those are my players. It is important you then have time to work with those players.

"We need to turn our form quickly, because this cannot go on. But we have never been battered and the odd goal has been killing us. There are small improvements and we are getting better all of the time.

"If people can stay with us for a little bit longer, then that would be good. As a manager, you can never fear for your job. You have to turn up every day, be strong and work hard."

Asked if he thought Lansdown and his board of directors would resort to a kneejerk reaction in the face of mounting pressure from frustrated supporters, Johnson answered: "No, I don't think that will happen."

Lansdown is renowned for backing his managers in the transfer market and allowing them time to build a successful team over a period of time and, with the Robins still three points clear of the relegation zone, he is not likely to resort to panic measures readily.

Johnson has already been given the funds to recruit Jens Hegeler, Bailey Wright and Milan Djuric during the January transfer window and he is now in the market for Schalke goalkeeper Fabian Giefer, pictured below.

Johnson added: "I believe Steve Lansdown is a fantastic man and he's been there, seen it and done it before. He's been through some tough times himself and he's always been there for me, both as a friend and as a boss and mentor.

"As always, I have to apologise for the poor form and I have to accept it (criticism). But there is enough credibility and belief in the board that I believe they genuinely want me, my coaching staff and the players to do well.

"I cannot ask for any more than the owner and the board to keep backing me with players I'm trying to bring in. Not for one moment have I received anything less than total backing from everybody at board level.

"There is frustration, of course, but our conversations are sound and they are about progression. The reassurance I get is from being told to continue with the plan and that has remained consistent from the day I came in."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/lee-jo...ol-city-boss/story-30059689-detail/story.html

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I reckon he is hanging on by a thread after reading this..

3. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

Yeah Lee, progression downwards.

4. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

Lose the next two and I think the pressure to have him removed will be massive.

5. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I think he will have until after the Rotherham game before he's booted, subject to a drubbing from now until then!!
    Pep is under pressure too!!

gdknac likes this.
  6. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Exactly what I reckon

7. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

There are small improvements and we are getting better all of the time.

Really ? Results would indicate the exact opposite

8. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

He must think we are stupid.

9. Angelicnumber16

I also get the impression he has a very high opinion of himself.
    If he is sacked by us, which looks increasingly likely, you wont find any other Championship sides rushing to take him off the dole queue.
    L1 is probably his level managerially.

10. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

I'm amazed he is still in the job,two more losses this week will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

11. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

"Steve Lansdown .........he's always been there for me, both as a friend and as a boss and mentor."

Smacks of "come on mate, you can't fire your best buddy, can you??".........

12. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

Sounds like grovelling. Lansdown may be loyal but he is also a business man and when crowds drop off he will not have any choice.

13. Red Robin

Do not work with friends,believe me it does not work.

business and pleasure keep separate.

BrightredRickster likes this.
  14. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Both Ashton, let's not forget him, and Junior talk the talk - big time.
    They've sucked in/hoodwinked/duped SL and the Board.
    Fans of BCFC are the losers.

And SL's deep pockets.

15. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Bit like Cotts then!! <laugh><laugh>

16. Angelicnumber16

Well SC is also unproven at this level so yes, you're right !

17. Angelicnumber16

When you look at the next tranche of fixtures they actually get harder for us, regardless of who is in charge.

After playing Forest away we then have Villa away, and then a home game with Sheffield Wednesday.
    Then it's Rotherham at home, away to Derby County, followed by Leeds Utd away. After that it's home to Fulham and away at Newcastle.

Being generous, the most I can see us getting from these 8 games is maybe 6 points, and possibly less.

By this point there will be just 12 games left.

Are you worried now ?

18. Red Robin

Very very very much so-those games are frightening.

19. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

I think LJ will take us down
    Simple as...

20. Angelicnumber16

If left in post for much longer, I think that's a given.