1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

"Hysteria" turns me all philosophical.

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by _qpr-scotland_, Mar 25, 2011.

1. _qpr-scotland_

As a season ticket holder I woke up today and it was just like any other. However for all those without a season ticket this was so much more. Leeds tickets were going on sale as the box office opened at about 7:30. Already there were people queueing to get there tickets whilst thousands of others logged onto their online ticket thingy to be greeted with a blue bar giving you an estimation of how long you will have to wait to get on only without an actual timeframe, whilst others dialled 08444777007 a number that I have always found ironic as being on hold does seem to have a licence to kill...

I'll get my coat.

Anyway besides of being in a world of excrutiatingly gentle comedy many people were seeing their phone bill taking shape in front of there very own eyes after being told that they had been "placed in a queue and will be made aware of their position shortly" by a woman who no doubt a lot of you know better than your own children.

Personally I only became aware of this fateful day at around three o'clock when I finally got my forum fix with tales of joy and misery being thrown about on 606 by the dozens. However one thing became clear. If you're booking through the website "DO NOT PRESS REFRESH!" Those who had immediate became clear as there tone became that of anger such that you could sense through the screen that the next person to talk to one of these people would no doubt be subject to a completely unprovoked attack.

All this panic somehow ran off onto me. I started to panic and a strange monologue that you generally see on american sitcoms started running through my head. "Do I have a ticket, Of course you do you have a season ticket, yes I know but does that include Leeds, well obviously what did you think, NO DO I HAVE A TICKET!!!"

Eventually I calmed myself down but before I knew it I was off on another completely unjustifiable panic.
    Cardiff.
    Had the tickets gone on sale, do I need to book the train, do I need to call Gus and Julius to see if they're going and if I need to book it for them too, what if they're sold out like Leeds, what if what if what if.

What this showed to me was how, as the official website called it "hysteria", can spread so quickly throughout humans. Me, completely uneffected and in a position of envy to others who have travelled the country supporting the R's for years and years yet failed to get a ticket, felt like I needed to panic and comfort myself. Now I know I'm going off at a bit of a tangent but it did make me think about how easily influenced I was by, in the grand scale of things, a pretty minor event.
    For instance I've always looked at those growing up in Nazi Germany and thought "come on surely human instinct will tell you that what you're doing to the Jewish is evil and subhuman" and thought that those in North Korea that are convinced that the Americans are evil should just look around and think "surely this isn't the best way of living in the world." But having read up about you realise that these people were effectively brain washed. They were fed information by the same source over and over and gradually you will believe it.
    Now I know that is on a completely different scale to what I'm talking about here but I think the principle runs true.
    I saw the word "Hysteria" on the official and was fed updates in big bold capital letters and read increasingly frustrated posts and comments from fans trying desperately to get tickets and I was so easily, embarrasingly easily, susceptible to falling into the circle of believeing everything I read about the situation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that humans don't seem to be induviduals. They follow the crowd in most instances which is probably why so many people love sport as it brings everyone together with a common aim, and a common enemy.

Well that's my first post on Not606 and it was far too intellectual for my liking. Next time I'll try to actually talk about football and not provide a snooze fest for most of you.

You R'sssssssss!!!

2. Northolt-QPR

Northolt-QPR Active Member

<bubbly>
    And the prize for longest article goes to.................................<bubbly>:emoticon-0100-smile

3. _qpr-scotland_

I know I know.

4. Liverpool_RRRs

Awesome article, made me laugh all the way through! Ever thought about blogging scotland? :cheesy:

5. _qpr-scotland_

Aaah cheers SuperHoops. I have vaguely thought about it but not really sure how to go about it. Before I do anything though I need to actually put some articles up on here.

6. Liverpool_RRRs

Well keep them coming, that was an excellent read :)

7. timhills1999

timhills1999 New Member

I remember going through this in the playoff year, tickets for Oldham at home and the millenium.

8. Rsfanupnorth

Rsfanupnorth New Member

Good to see someone who thinks on a 'higher plain', keep em coming!!!