1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic House-fire in London

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Matth_2014, Jun 14, 2017.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The Grenfell Action Group have been telling the authorities about this for over four years. Four ****ing years!
    https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/fire-safety-scandal-at-lancaster-west/

Here's one from last year:
    https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

"It is a truly terrifying thought but the Grenfell Action Group firmly believe that only a catastrophic event will expose the ineptitude and incompetence of our landlord, the KCTMO, and bring an end to the dangerous living conditions and neglect of health and safety legislation that they inflict upon their tenants and leaseholders."

It's unfortunate that they were proved right.

NSIS and The Ginger Marks like this.
  2. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

This is the only place in Europe where single stairway tower blocks were allowed in the last 40 years or so apparently.

May have got the quote wrong, but ffs, my God, give people 2 chances of getting out alive!

3. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

They should be held to account if this can be proven. Criminally, I mean.

4. Burly Hurley

Doesn't work that way though mate.

Blame an insane world of red tape, local government priorities, central government priorities, the company who did the refurb, the local council who didn't manage it properly, H&S, whoever, whatever, but no one will end up in court, even if the investigation takes 10 years!

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  5. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I suspect you're probably right, unfortunately.

However, I'd love to see the ****s done for gross negligence, if possible.

My guess is the death toll could easily run to 3 figures! Somebody will be held to account!

6. Burly Hurley

I hope not but you may be right.

And someone should do some serious time for this, but the law hasn't changed that much since Charles Dickens' Bleak House!

It'll be years before anyone does time for this.

But some bastard, guilty as ****, son of a bitch will be walking around free tomorrow.

7. Stan

Stan Stalker

This is turning out to be manslaughter. ****ing disgraceful.

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Apparently it would have only cost £5k extra to have used the proper fire retardant cladding for the whole of Grenfell tower.

9. Stan

Stan Stalker

#austerity

Tragic.

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wonder who pocketed the difference?
    Installing sprinklers would've cost £200k apparently, but the local Tory is blaming the residents themselves for it not happening.
    Nick Paget-Brown's about to find out what it's like to become a sacrifice, in my opinion.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I loosely know a few people who live in Ladbroke Grove and they have been complaining for years about the lack of provision for working class residents, increasing costs of childcare, local markets being closed and sold of to property developers. The general feeling is that the area is being gentrified at the cost of those who live there, because the land and property owners want the money from rich Saudi, Russian and Chinese investors.

It's not limited to Ladbroke Grove either, seems like the whole of London is being 'econonimically cleansed' of working class and poor people.

12. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

oh for sure someone will be, but I doubt very much it will be the money man who decided to make it look pretty rather than safe, it'll be some opoor bastard at the bottom of the rung that didn't make any decision at all.
    ha, more like #profitfirst

13. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

It's even worse than that. If you fit sprinklers then your insurance premiums halve and you make the money back over a period of years. As with everything in this country, it's about short term financial savings to enable the Councillors to get re-elected at the next vote. Nothing else matters......until it's too late.

PINKIE and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Isn't that they way with the establishment ... screw the long term vision and overall benefit for the general public in favour of cutting costs and making a cheap buck in the short term.

Politicians are too concerned with the short term aim of getting re-elected and maintaining power, which has been tied in with this ridiculous notion of saving money, whatever the cost (irony intended)