1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Honeyman

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Positives- Workrate, showed cotmitment the who'll time on the pitch. Few good touches. Passing always being a strong point for him I don't remember to much going astray. Showed his capability in tight areas with his one touch instinct this is something the u21s of the last few seasons do very well, Greenwood and Gooch always team well with Honeyman and they've got a great knack of creating chances in tight crowded areas in and around the box. Glad he showed this on the pitch with a couple of close range cheeky 1-2s

Negatives- Looked lost in the first half hour, brushed off the ball far too easy. His positional sense on and off the ball was my biggest concern. Always a bit behind play, off the ball meant his energy was always spent chasing play instead of being placed to press the ball/space. On the ball, also behind the pace of play, ment he was overlooked for passes which should have been on had he been better position.

Verdict- Potentially a very good player. Any better than we have available now? No way, nowhere near. We need players back from injury and some brought in. Honeyman's only senior football has been semi pro with Gateshead. Needs to go out on loan, maybe league one as he doesn't look championship ready to me. Get him playing senior football more his level and playing regularly as his development is very much at risk due to the state of the current senior squad.

Your Positives, Negatives and Summery?

Nacho and RTB like this.
  2. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

very light weight

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  3. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

pretty good summary I think

4. Brian Storm

Tried to be as balanced and objective as possible while remaining honest.

Nothing from that which tells me Honeyman should be starting before any of our seniors except for maybe Januzaj cause he's a lazy ****.

Roker report gave him a 7 rating <laugh> There was nobody on that pitch anywhere near a 7 yesterday.

5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

The main thing for me is that he wasn't crap, hell of a tough situation for a young player to deal with so I'm glad he did ok and showed promise.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  6. Brian Storm

My worry is could and probably would be developing rapidly playing week in week out at more his level. He's 22 now, he needs senior football every week.

7. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

I thought he was by far our best player yesterday.

8. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

He was very enthusiastic and put himself about. He looked very raw, though, and doesn't look ready for Premier league football, yet.

Brian Storm likes this.
  9. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Good post Bri.

Positives

He's got desire and lots of energy and is technically sound.
    According to the stats he was our best midfield player yesterday.
    He stopped a dangerous breakaway by chasing back and taking out one of their players with a crucial tackle (got booked though).
    Negatives
    He is fairly small and lightweight in comparison to West Brom midfielders and lacks strength on the ball.
    He should have been loaned out to a league club by this stage of his development.
    Summary
    I thought he had a fairly solid debut in a team totally lacking in confidence. I don't think he looked out of place yesterday, he did have a nervy start but grew into the game. I would happily play him instead of Januzaj or Larsson.
    After 1 appearance he currently sits in 10th highest position for the squawka stats scoring system - and that's for the season so far!

Stats.GIF

Brian Storm likes this.
  10. newbottle bank

newbottle bank Active Member

I thought Honeyman did well considering it was his first start.
    It made me laugh when he tackled Rondon :)

Brian Storm likes this.

11. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

He did well enough all things considered and the main thing missing from his game was experience.

Brian Storm likes this.
  12. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Just for some context, he's only 2 months younger than Ndong, he isn't a kid anymore.

Didn't see the game so can't comment on his performance but the fact he's only played 9 games at senior level for Gateshead suggests he won't be much more than a lower league player.

13. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Yeah he'd have been better off playing in the lower leagues earlier on. Not sure we can expect too much.

Brian Storm and Jack TheLad like this.
  14. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Work rate was excellent. Lost the ball a few times, but won it straight back on a couple of occasions. I was impressed, overall, and if nothing else he is prepared to give it 100%. If that rubs off on some of the other twats in the starting XI that's as a good a reason for picking him as I can think of.

15. Brian Storm

He'll need to bloom late to carve out an upper tier footballing career. We're not helping by restricting more loan time.

16. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

I just don't understand why his only senior football has been with Gateshead up the road.

Surely he'd have been better going to L1/2 club when he was younger.

Fact is that he's only ever played in the academy and u21/23's league against similar kids, he's probably about 3 years behind where he should be IMO.

17. Brian Storm

Players get sent to their level mate. He went to Gateshead cause that's where he was at. He should have gone back out but Big Sam wanted all the u21s together and training with the first team, he's not the only one who's missed out on loan time recently.

He's so physically weak on the ball I bet that's been the main issue with him. All lot of youth are like that. Bags of talent but physically inept.