1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Holloway Back with 2nd Bid.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Jan 9, 2017.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Luke Freeman interest stepped up with QPR set to test Bristol City with another bid for midfielder
    By a_stockhausen | Posted: January 09, 2017

Bristol City are bracing themselves for another bid for Luke Freeman from Championship rivals Queens Park Rangers.

Managed by former Bristol Rovers player and boss Ian Holloway, the West London club is keen to bring the midfielder to Loftus Road during the January transfer window.

Freeman is out of contract at the end of this season and Rangers have already tested City's resolve by tabling an initial bid for the former Arsenal and Stevenage man.

That offer was met with a firm rebuttal on Friday, but Holloway is not prepared to take no for an answer and is expected to come back in with an improved bid this week.

When asked about Rangers' interest in Freeman, City head coach Lee Johnson chose his words carefully.

He said: "There is a lot going on, the window is the window and it changes every five minutes. The one thing I can say for sure, is that we are not a selling club at the moment.

"Any business this month will be on our terms and Steve Lansdown (majority shareholder) and the board of directors have been great. We want to keep what we've got and keep improving by bringing people in. I'm certainly under no pressure to sell anyone."

But every player has his price and, should Rangers return with a realistic offer, City could yet have a decision to make.

A key performer in City's League One title and Johnstone's Paint Trophy double winning campaign in 2014/15, Freeman struggled to adapt to life in the Championship last term. But he has grown in stature this season and Johnson recently gave an interview in which he suggested the best was still to come from the 24-year-old Londoner
    http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristo...luke-freeman/story-30040176-detail/story.html

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Talk about LJ and his 'Gobble de gook'...
    "There is a lot going on, the window is the window and it changes every five minutes. The one thing I can say for sure, is that we are not a selling club at the moment.

3. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

He was given a copy of Hollowheads book " I don't speak of seagulls"

4. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

If the price is right i would move him on.

gdknac likes this.
  5. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

OK move him on get £xm, next season spend £xxm for a replacement ...

6. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

I was a bit surprised to learn that his contract expires at the end of this season - it'd be interesting to know whether it was the club thinking they were happy for him to go, or Freeman himself wanting to put himself in a strong position with many options.

I can see this going through. There's a certain amount of risk involved, but I don't think his presence would be the difference between us being good enough to survive or not (we may be doomed with him!). To get a few hundred £k to possibly a million, rather than lose him for nothing a few months down the line is likely to be a deciding factor.

He may be a bit inconsistent, but the potential's there for him to take off if things align. I wouldn't be shocked either way if he ended up back in League One, or catches fire and moves to a team capable of winning promotion to the Prem within a few years.

7. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

It's either sell him now and have money in the pot or keep him on, watch him play average until May because he's not cut out for this level and then lose him in the summer for nothing. I'd sell now, try and get 1m+ and it's good business, we paid 750k for him, he's lived up and more to that price tag by helping us lift 2 trophies and being part of a team that kept us up but that's sadly his limit. Lower end championship.

8. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Sell him now or offer him a new contract

9. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Fully agree- We could get anything up to £1m now. Why risk letting him go for free in the summer?

smhbcfc likes this.
  10. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

yep between 900 and 1.2 mill i reckon.

11. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member