1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Henry makes a good point about Giroud

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Jul 8, 2016.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

But for club legend Thierry Henry, Arsenal already have the resources they need going forward.

The former France international rates countryman Giroud and believes he would thrive from having Alexis Sanchez alongside him upfront.

He told Sky Sports: "I've said it many times - Giroud is very good at what he does. He's a very good player but he needs to play with someone.

"He can't turn and outpace anyone, Giroud, but in Griezmann he has a guy he can feed. It's a great partnership. They share the workload of scoring goals.

"I never doubted what he can do but I think he's better with someone alongside him.

"Sometimes I watch Arsenal and think it would be great to see Sanchez behind Olivier. Giroud is the perfect striker to play with a guy that runs in behind."

He makes a very good point there. If Wenger intends to keep Giroud and Sanchez playing together, then having Sanchez as a SS would work, using his pace to make runs from behind. Some tactical tweaking would obviously be needed. This is where ex-players like Henry would be good for the club, giving Wenger advice.

2. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

He was pretty awful yesterday with Griezmann making runs. He has his good games for Arsenal as well but there's just no consistency with him

3. Smirnoffpriest

Smirnoffpriest Well-Known Member

I was thinking if we had Griezmann on the RWF and tweaked the formation so it was more a 4-2-1-3 with Sanchez and Griezmann either side of Grioud, with Santi and Xhaka sitting infront of the back 4 alternatively protecting the defence and spreading passes and Ozil floating behind the attackers threading passes and creating assists. It may leave us exposed on the flanks, but perhaps Sanchez (whose work rate is renowned) and Griezmann could take it in turns to drop off and help their FB.

When attacking then Giroud would have both Sanchez and Griezmann running beyond him to play in, and they'd have Giroud occupying the CBs and as a target point to play off. And when Girouds form dips then Griezmanns goals would take up the slack - we'd still need another striker (ideally Lukaku, and then the issue is sorted)...

4. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

The more I saw of Henry analysing games at the Euros the more I think he is a good tactician.
    One of these days he will become an excellent manager.
    On the subject of strikers the only one I'm not that impressed with is Lukaku.
    Watching him for Belgium at the Euros showed his weaknesses, his positional sense was poor and he strikes me as a lazy player.
    He had a stinker against Wales.

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Would love to see Griezmann, Giroud and Sanchez in a front three for Arsenal.

6. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

No chance of us getting Griezmann now, he has moved into that bracket of players where if he did move, he would probably only move to Barca, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, or one of the sugar daddy run clubs. We missed our chance of getting him when he was at Sociedad, once upon a time, Wenger snapped up the best France had to offer....

7. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

We have a better chance of getting a better CF than get Griezmann now. As Sanj says, he's now entered the realm of the super player. But a real upgrade to Giroud is a possibility.

8. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

That Renato Sanchez has impressed me. 18 years old, I can understand why Bayern are making such a big deal about him.

Should be a Top Top player ins a few years.

9. TheBear

France have a FAR better squad but Ronaldo could spoil things for them.

10. Smirnoffpriest

Well he won't be making any difference now. Just gone off after a payet tackle

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Did you see that Butterfly land on his head when he went down injured <laugh> Surreal

12. Smirnoffpriest

That was a weird moment. He's not my favourite person but you really have to feel for him, really cruel end for him.

Lovearsenalcock and TheBear like this.
  13. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Going to have to disagree with what Henry is saying as Sanchez as a foil to Giroud.

I agree that Giroud needs someone to play beside him as he's very capable for holding the ball up and linking with players (he also blows hot and cold doing this).

Disagree with Alexis as i don't think he makes many runs in behind the defence and would need this coached into him. He's quick and speed but he always likes to drop, get on the ball and dribble with this (although i saw he was playing it off first time a lot more in the last part of the season) or give a quick give and go

14. TheBear

Who plays two up top anymore?! Nobody. Certainly none of the top sides.

Giroud just had a hot streak and people starting making a big deal about it.
    It was only 5-6 games ago that he was being boo'd by the French fans.

He does the same thing for Arsenal scores goals in patches. Up top on his own or with a partner he simply isn't a World Class striker. He is a good player, probably gets criticised too much but he simply isn't at that elite level and never will be.

15. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Maybe Leicester, the league champions?

16. TheBear

Fine but let's be honest they had a great Season but are not a top team.

I don't think they will finish top 4 next Season. 4-4-2 is thoroughly outdated.

17. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Maybe that is why they did so well, nobody was prepared to counter it and just couldn't handle it.

I don't think they will get top 4 either, they will do well to stay in the top 8.