1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

He Talks A Good Talk, Let´s See If He Can Walk An Equally Good One

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by royalbarclayfan, Apr 26, 2017.

1. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

Can´t see this anywhere else, and it´s certainly worth an airing

http://www.alongcomenorwich.com/articles/stuart-webber-the-interview

Particularly his comments, late on in the interview, about the importance of supporters at matches, rings a few bells, and seem very pertinent to me. I´ve thought for quite a few seasons that Norwich City supporters have become far too demanding, far too critical and far too intolerant of the slightest thing. Turning up and moaning and jeering at every mistake is not quite the same thing as turning up and supporting, and we know it´s sort of a two-way thing, but only sort of, it´s precisely when the team are dishing up dross that they need the most support, not when things are going well, no team needs supporting then. Tolerance particularly, will be even more necessary next season, when presumably, the emphasis will be on younger players coming into the squad.

No doubt there´ll be some supporters who´ll feel indignant about being criticised, and no doubt there are some who support even during the dross, but there are also a hell of a lot who don´t, and as Webber pointed out, when 500 Huddersfield supporters can drown out 26,500 Norwich supporters at Carrow Road, there´s something not quite right somewhere.

Canary Spring and canary-dave like this.
  2. royalbarclayfan

In fact it´s interesting and rather surprising, that it hasn´t been aired before actually :emoticon-0112-wonde, perhaps he´s a bit too outspoken, and critical, for some people. :grin:

3. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I liked Webber's comment about the fans. It's one thing to slate players/team on a forum, but at the game fans should always try to be supportive.

SW does tend to say things that are better left unsaid ie. his remark about AN being in the broadcast. In his defence though, SW has said he doesn't like the speaking role he currently has and looks forward to hiring a new HC who will do that part.

JM Fan likes this.
  4. royalbarclayfan

Totally agree with your first paragraph, not so sure about your second one. As far as I can tell from this interview, he´s put his finger bang on a number of very salient points, and I don´t think he should hold back in any way, many of the things he said and referred to, certainly needed saying - wages, squad size, connection between club and fans, smoother transition between Academy and 1st team, fan power, etc, etc. all of which haven´t been running at maximum capacity for years.

JM Fan likes this.
  5. Canary Spring

I enjoyed reading his interview as much as anyone. After being starved for information about what is going on with the club, it was a refreshing change to the "if I'm being honest", "Promotion Promotion Promotion" bullcarp we've been fed for too long. I just thought the AN remark was insulting.

I was also left more uncertain about Maddison's future. He already turned down another loan opportunity to Aberdeen to fight for a first team spot with Norwich. So, I don't think he would want to go out on loan again.

JM Fan likes this.
  6. royalbarclayfan

I must be missing something Spring, because after reading it through again, and reading it through s-l-o-w-l-y I can´t find any reference to Alex Neil anywhere in this interview. <confused>

7. Canary Spring

I can't tell if you're being serious or d-i-s-a-g-r-e-e-a-b-l-e, RBF. I responded to the interview in the link you posted, then expounded with a comment on what Webber said in this EDP story:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwic...mer-of-major-changes-at-carrow-road-1-4986200

8. royalbarclayfan

Ah that explains it, and no, not being disagreeable or anything else, I´ve only read this one interview with Webber, and therefore had no knowledge of any other comments he might have made, but I shall now read the one above. :)

Canary Spring likes this.
  9. royalbarclayfan

...and having done so, I would agree with you, although it depends a little on just how he said it, but yes, a bit below the belt and unnecessary.

10. Canary Spring

Cheers, RBF :emoticon-0100-smile